4.0 out of 5 stars Heart-warming

Published 3 months ago by harvey

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Heart-warming, 16 Feb. 2012
Amazon Customer (Oxted, Surrey England) - See all my reviews
I remember this book because I loved it when I was about 13. I read it again after finding it here on Amazon, and it's still lovely. Some people might find it a bit sentimental in parts but it is clear from the text that Paul Galico studied cat behaviour very closely before writing it. Not that it's about that; it's a story about a young boy who becomes a cat, but it's closer to the bone than a cuddly-cute kids story, and the characters he meets are very well observed and fully rounded.

I won't give away the ending but all I would say is do read it if you get the chance and if you enjoy escapism. And cats. But not recommended for younger readers (8 and under) because it has a violent scene and the ending is bittersweet and could cause tears.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful for the connection with cats., 13 Dec. 2012
Here another fan who read this as a kid and returned in adult years.

Of all the many many books i read as a child I think Jennie probably had the greatest impact.
It was exciting and enjoyable with characters you really connect to, but more than that it
helped me think about what life must be like from our cats point of view.

It is a great read and well written and in my mind is bordering on compulsary reading for anyone
who wants to enhance their empathy for other creatures.

It has always amazed me that this isn't up there as one of the greatest ever animal books on everyones bookshelves
along with watership down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly enthralling, 30 Sept. 2012
Vlodec (LEICESTER, Leics. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jennie (Essential Modern Classics) (Kindle Edition)
I first read this book 50 years ago (yes, 50) when I was very young. My elder sister kindly loaned it to me, and I can't adequately describe what a deep impression it made on my young mind. I recall I wanted to find Jennie, take her home and look after her.

Well, the book soon went out of print, I couldn't find a copy anywhere, and the years rolled by. But I never forgot it, and then it turned up on Amazon (of course, where else) in e-book format. I'd forgotten much of it, and misremembered much of the rest, but it didn't matter. What a pleasure it was to read it again after all these years.

If you're a cat fancier you'll certainly enjoy reading this. If you're not, well, you may find you never see cats in quite the same way again. Paul Gallico anthropomorphises them of course, but there's much in Peter and Jennie that you'll find in real cats.

Highly recommended.

(Deep in my imagination, Jennie is still out there somewhere.........)

5.0 out of 5 stars QUITE SIMPLY, A LOVELY BOOK., 8 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Jennie (Essential Modern Classics) (Kindle Edition)
I read this book once before when my children were young and remembering how much I enjoyed it I decided to buy it and read it again.On this second reading I can only say that I enjoyed it more!
As a cat lover myself I can identify with all the insights into cat behaviour and one can very easily grow to love the two main characters.
I found this book very hard to put down and felt a sense of loss when it was finished.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jennie, 21 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Jennie (Essential Modern Classics) (Kindle Edition)
My cousin intoduced me to this charming book many years ago and her description of it still rings true with me - a fairy story for grown-ups. So glad it's now on eBooks

5.0 out of 5 stars If in doubt, wash!, 10 Feb. 2015
If you love cats, you will love Jennie.

This book has been a perennial favourite in our family, so I was surprised when my daughter mentioned that she hadn't read it.

Like an Amazon Ninja (mixing my geographic metaphors) I ordered it to be delivered tout suite, and the very next day!

She has a cold and is enjoying snuggling up with a cup of tea and her new cat book, as should you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Peter's adventures with Jennie are compelling and her instructions as to how to act as a cat shows a deep understanding and love, 31 July 2014
This review is from: Jennie (Essential Modern Classics) (Kindle Edition)
I have just re-read this delightful book. Peter's adventures with Jennie are compelling and her instructions as to how to act as a cat shows a deep understanding and love of cats. A book for all cat lovers and has coined a phrase that is current within my family "when in doubt wash"! I loved it as much in my 70's as I did as a child!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for cat owners!, 14 April 2013
I read this book when I was a child. it went out of print but I managed to find a tatty copy in a charity shop which I read to my children when they were young. I was pleased to see it had been reprinted as an Essential Modern Classic. I thoroughly enjoyed re reading it - a must for any cat owner too!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best cat books you will ever read., 28 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Jennie (Essential Modern Classics) (Kindle Edition)
Anyone who likes cats can't fail to love this book. Those who don't like cats should still read it as it will give them an insight into what cats are all about, I first read this years ago and loved it but lost it when I lent it to someone I am pleased to have found it again and will not lose track of it this time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paul Gallico is the best, 3 May 2014
This review is from: Jennie (Essential Modern Classics) (Kindle Edition)
Read this as a child and I always loved it. Totally incapable of reading this in public as it makes me very emotional. If you or your child love cats then you'll love this book. I'd probably read it before your child though so you can prepare them for some of the storyline

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Jennie (Essential Modern Classics)