5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Published on 23 Dec 2011 by Bjm

3.0 out of 5 stars No docking station
not happy that this arrived without the advertised docking station. I bought it specifically for that but it did not arrive. more annoying when i called up to complain the company (RCUK) said that they had no more in stock although it was still being advertised. Quite frustrating
Other than that it seems to do the job quite well
Published 4 months ago by MR P.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 Dec 2011
This review is from: Unlocked Wireless Modem Huawei E586 (Electronics)
I am very pleased with this product. I had another mifi-type product (non-Huawei) which I forgot on the plane and so I got this as replacement. I love the fact that I can send SMS via the web interface and also charge the device via USB while using the wifi capabilities. I could not do these things on the previous product I owned. Battery life is also fantastic. I am easily getting 5-6 hours on a full charge. The internet speeds are fair; although it must be said that in my neck of the woods the bottleneck is primarily from the 3G service provider. All in all, I am enjoying this modem. I'm almost pleased I lost the other one :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Click and connect!, 2 July 2012
Paul Madge (Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unlocked Wireless Modem Huawei E586 (Electronics)
I bought this device to allow my partner and I to use our WiFi only iPads when we are out and about. We were both reluctant to sign up to yet another monthly payment as our usage is uncertain, and, so adopted the PAYG route. You can get 3GB SIMs for this MiFi unit on Amazon at prices which make buying a new SIM each time far better value for money than topping up the supplied SIM.

I am highly satisfied with this device. This MiFi unit is made for 3 by Huawei and comes complete with a USB lead to charge it from your PC together with a mains adapter and dock which is well weighted and provides an ideal stand for the device at home. I have found the performance to be good in most places I have used it (mostly in Sussex and Herts) and we have both managed to connect our iPads whilst parked up in the car and surf without difficulty (you can connect up to 5 devices). One thing you should be conscious of is that the closer the device is to your PC/iPad the better it works - you cannot compare the range with a mains powered router. Also, I have found that a good signal does not always mean the speed of the connection will be higher - there appear to be other factors which influence speed.

Turning to the device itself - it is small, slim, well made and a bit smaller than a mobile phone so it easily fits in your pocket. It has a display which gives you signal strength, battery level and the amount of data you have used etc. The display is helpful, and, in particular, the "data used" information is very useful this being a feature omitted from a more basic version of this device being sold by 3. Not having a "data used" display to me is a bit like driving a car without a fuel gauge. The display could be bigger, but, no doubt that would exert more strain on the battery. The battery is similar to that in a mobile phone and lasts around 5 hours after which you can charge it either from a USB port (slower) or from the mains adapter provided (faster) - you do not have to carry the dock around as you can simply plug the mains charger directly into the device. It would have been nice if a small case had been included but I have used an old memory card case which does the job perfectly.

There are only two controls on the device itself - an on/off switch and a key switch which, when pressed displays the security code needed to connect to the device. Whilst helpful, this facility means if you lost the device it could be subject to unauthorised use as the finder would have ready access to the security code. However, with PAYG at least the exposure is limited to the balance remaining on the SIM card. The connection process is a breeze, you only have to enter the security code once on most devices and thereafter it is memorised.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this Huawei device and the 3 network performance - this MiFi product delivers exactly what I wanted, and, with the availability of 3rd party supplied (but legitimate) SIM cards available on Amazon at very low prices it is economic to run. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performance even when gaming!, 5 Aug 2012
MrE (E Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Unlocked Wireless Modem Huawei E586 (Electronics)
Firstly i'll say where and why i got this and whats my opinion of it after using it for a few days.

I bought this from the THREE store (yes that means it was locked to the Three network)... but this also means that the device will work in full, as an example if you buy this unlocked version and put a Vodafone sim in it, the screen won't properly work as it should because the device was designed to work with THREE, which is no bad thing because THREE have the best mobile broadband network in the UK... FACT!

Down to the reason i bought this, well we own a static caravan in wales and at the moment there is no phone line...hence no internet and i like to play games through my Xbox with friends. We originally bought the "premium" dongle from THREE and just plugged it into our laptop to go online and the speed and quality was impressive so we decided to try this MIFI because it was even faster and works with games consoles.

We bought it on Pay as you go with 3GB of data which lasts 3 months. Total price was 84.99.

to cut the story short, after putting the sim into the device and turning it on, it connects to the network but doesn't use any data until you connect a device to the net like a laptop or xbox. The first thing i tested was my Xbox, after initially entering the password of the device into my xbox and hitting the connect button, it connected to the internet via the mifi device and the speed is incredible!!! As a tip check the THREE website and enter your postcode to check coverage but this new device uses the latest technology and it's incredibly fast at over 8mb/s (checked this using speedtest.net)

I played with two friends on Battlefield 3 while talking to them at the same time, all the time it was lag free and the voice was crystal clear! As for usage the screen on the device tells you how long you've been connected and how many MB you have used up! I gamed for an hour and used 94mb of data which i was impressed with! We've worked out that 3GB will last a total of 33+ hours and that's if i'm gaming and nothing else! So it works well and seamlessly with the Xbox, i have yet to test it out on the PS3 but i assume it will be the same!

The device is well made and comes with a good battery so you can use it on the go, although you can sit it in the cradle where it also charges from the mains. The screen is very informative with information such as usage, time online, signal, network type, and battery life.... the device makes no noise while in operation!! It comes with cables so you can plug into a laptop directly.

On the issue of Wifi, you can connect a total of 5 devices at the same time but this will obviously affect the speed of each device so if you gaming only have a maximum of 2 devices connected.

PROS: Excellent speed, Well made, uses little data gaming wise, THREE network is the best for mobile broadband, connect 5 wifi devices at the same time, screen is very informative!

CONS: Data is expensive compared to contract and proper broadband but pay as you go lets you keep you're options open and you only pay for what you use, Unlocked version doesn't fully work with other networks as the device was designed to work with THREE

VERDICT: Very impressed in every way, and for gaming which is the reason i bought it, i couldn't be happier with its performance. Amazon is the best place at the moment to buy data from in the way of a pre-loaded sim card... 3gb sim for three months is the best value for money one to go for. Contract offers good value for money BUT only if you're using all of the allowance and it ties you up for 24 months. Pay as you go is best to keep your options open. As for the device, browsing the net, watching videos, gaming ... this things flies! Check the signal in your area with the different networks but my honest recommendation would be to get it with THREE as their network is the best for Mobile broadband!

RECOMMENDED Product!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes finally acceptable internet connection, 9 Mar 2013
This review is from: Unlocked Wireless Modem Huawei E586 (Electronics)
OK in our situation we could have gone for home broadband, but we just do not like being bound down into contracts and prevent it anywhere we can. So that left us with a rather unsatisfying internet connection through our lower end smartphones in combination of living in an aerea with very bad O2 reception. giffgaff (using O2 network)is for us the cheapest pay as you go option to have our phones on unlimited data, free calls and txt also unlimited to other Giffgaffers plus some many calls and txt to other phones for 30 days. (do not know by head how many calls and txt are included because we do not use that really) Ok this costs us in total 25 pound every 30 days. I always keep my eyes and ears open for a better cheaper option. Especially better, because as I said the internet connection was just dreadful in the house and that is where we spend 95% of our time.

Then I came across the word Mifi. Never heard about it before so I did some research and found that you could get much better internet access through one of those Mifi routers. Well it could not be worse then we already had so we decided to give it a go. After looking around and reading other peoples experiences I made the decision to go for the Unlocked Wireless Modem Huawei E586. It is just a one time payment, for buying the item. That's it. After that you can pop in any sim for your own choosing and of you go. It is truely that simple. When it finally arrived (will get back to that later on) it was up and running within well 20 seconds. I came with a neat looking little cradle. Popped the electric lead into the cradle, sim card into the Mifi Modem unit and because it is a 3 (brand) unit is found the sim of 3 which I also bought here on Amazon with no problem at all. Within seconds we were surfing the net as if we had home broadband. Laptop, 10 inch tablet, 7 inch tablet and two smart phones all connected at the same time, all working so smoothly, just unbelievable. I would recommend this little gem to anyone who is looking for fast mobile internet connection.

Something about our experience of using sims from 3 in this unit.

On our smart phones we (me and my husband) use about 3 gb of data each month together. So our calculation was that if we would buy a mifi router like the Huawei E586 and pop in a 3GB sim of 3 which costs here on Amazon around 10 pound and keeps valid for 3 month's from the day you start using it, that would save us 15 each month. So within 6 months the investment of buying the mifi would have been payed back, and each month after that it would save us money which is never a bad thing. It turned out to be a little bit different in real life though.

As said, we were of surfing within seconds of installing the sim into the Mifi. Yes we were surfing alright......within 3.5 days the 3GB was GONE!!!!! that is how fast we were turning pages, visiting websites, watching a few youtube videos which was just impossible before. Wow, what happened. Where did all the data go?.....lol right at this speed it was going to cost us 10 x 3GB sims cards to be able to stay online the way we are. 10 x 10 ....100 for 1 month internet connection turned out to become a very expensive way of using this beautiful and very fast Mifi. Knowing that for 20 pound we can have home broadband from Virgin....our dislike for any form of contract could not justify 80 more costs. What to do. We already had made the investment. Sending it back was no option. Luckily I had ordered a second 3 sim, so while we thought about what to do next we reluctantly popped the second sim into the unit (buying new sims is way cheaper then topping a sim up online) needles to say that this 3GB data also disappeared within 3 to 4 days.

Ok then I came up with my Master plan. Why not use our old sim from our phone and pop that one into the mifi unit. Top it up for 12.50 and get unlimited data and all the rest that comes with it for 30 days. Not sure if it would work, meaning if Giffgaff would allow us to do this, but their policy says, tethering allowed, so connecting more then one gadget to the sim using the data is within guidelines. It works!!!! Even now using the same O2 network through the giffgaff sim card, which used to give us such a bad internet connection speed, or no connection at all, we surf the net at almost the same fast speed as on the 3 network. Up to 5 gadgets at the same time. All I needed to do was to get the giffgaff settings, connect the mifi router to my computer, go the 3's website and put in the giffgaff setting. I found how to do this by doing a search. Each time I do not know something I type it into the search bar and there is ALWAYS someone who has written down their experience for me to find. One's I knew what needed doing I had the mifi router up and running in no time.

Because my husband and I spend 24/7 together sharing this mifi router is an ideal way for us to connect to the internet without breaking the bank.

About the seller.
The seller was very helpful when it turned out that the wrong item was send out to us. Instead of the E586 we were send a complete different mifi router. A router only costing half the money we had payed for, Luckily enough I spotted it straight away before opening the box. I contacted the seller and he responded very quickly. I could send the wrong Mifi router back and would be senf the correct one as soon as they had received the wrong one back. I send the package back by recorderd next day before 1 o'clock delivery in the hope that that would speed up the process of getting the correct item. Well that did not happen. We waited (from Tuesday) but by Friday still no router and no reply to my emails send on Thursday. Contacted seller again on Friday this time through Amazon and to this I did get a quick reply. Seller said item was send but must have gone astray. That day router would be sent out again and arrive Saturday before 1 o'clock. This was correct, it did arrive as promised but again it was the wrong item and not only that....it was also a used item. The box was damaged, clearly used etc. I contacted seller again and asked for a full refund. Seller contacted us and appoligized asking for a chance to get it right this time. They had to correct router in stock and would send it out that as soon as they received the wrong item back at their warehouse. I expected that they would send the correct item by the quickest way possible seen that we were by then 2 weeks from the moment we placed the our order, but that didn't happen. Finally the correct item did arrive. I was given a refund for the costs made to send the 2 wrong items back. The Seller also offert me an additional discount for all the trouble caused which I declined. We all make mistakes and as long as it is sorted out in good will, I do not see then need to get extra finanical benefit from a situation like this.

Question is, would I do bussiness with this seller again. Answer is, Yes. He was kind, polite and helpful.

3.0 out of 5 stars No docking station, 13 Mar 2014
Other than that it seems to do the job quite well

5.0 out of 5 stars my mi-fi, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: Unlocked Wireless Modem Huawei E586 (Electronics)
great piece of kit just put in you data card and you are ready to go i am on the three network and the signal i recieve is great my internet is just as fast as when i had my land line,really glad i bought this.

5.0 out of 5 stars E586 ?, 30 Oct 2013
Not sure if it is genuine as 3 store have E585
only had it a day but it does what it's supposed to

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE!!!!!!, 26 Sep 2013
George Moffett (cambridge, cambs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unlocked Wireless Modem Huawei E586 (Electronics)
I chosec 1 star as when i finally came to use this abroad i found out was not unlocked as i bought it to be, but locked. If i could return it i would out of shear annoyance. As i can't can only advise ppl to be careful if u buy this from this seller.

2.0 out of 5 stars WARNING - Dangerous non UK charger, caught fire!, 7 Sep 2013
This review is from: Unlocked Wireless Modem Huawei E586 (Electronics)
The actual wireless modem came fully boxed and appears to be a genuine model as sold in 'three' shops, it works very well and is cheaper than on the high street, however also included in the package is a white mains to USB charger plug, which on first inspection looks ok. Unfortunately on my third time of using it I very nearly got electrocuted. Whilst plugging this charger into the wall socket, it immediately exploded in a flash of fire, scorching my hand and propelling part of the burning charger across the room leaving the other part of the charger still plugged into the mains with exposed burnt live wires hanging from it. The incident also caused the socket front and wall to be left with burn scorch marks on. Thank goodness this was not on charge overnight. On closer inspection, this charger seems to be a cheap import (made in china) with no UK recognised safety marks displayed. THIS IS A VERY DANGEROUS CHARGER - DO NOT USE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 22 Dec 2012
This review is from: Unlocked Wireless Modem Huawei E586 (Electronics)
Living in a rural area I've suffered from low broadband speeds for years. On a good day I might make 1.5Mb download speed, but on a bad day when BT's wires are flapping in the wind, 0.4Mb is about the best I can enjoy.

Some time ago I noticed a website that told me what signals all the local radio masts were broadcasting, and I was particularly drawn to the specifictoons for the relatively close '3' service mast that was reported to be providng 3G and even HSPA services.

After having tested this service with a free '3' sim in a mobile phone, I realised that I might be able to improve upon BT's fixed line broadband service.

I purchased this product, along with a pre-paid '3' data card giving me 3 months and/or 3Gb, whichever runs out the sooner.

The product arrived exactly on time and literally 15 minutes later it was up and running (albeit charging at the same time). It achieved instant lock-on to the local '3' signal and easy connection to one of my PCs, followed by utter amazement as the speed test showed around 5Mb download speed and 1.5Mb upload speed.

Complete with a desk-charging cradle and two USB connection leads, this is a classy and very functional piece of kit which does exactly what it says on the box.

The label inside the battery cover says that it's unlocked to all networks, so you should be able to use any data sim. Having said that, the '3' data sims sold through Amazon work first time every time and it does seem that '3' have very good coverage (even in rural areas).

Highly recommended product.