Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 17 September 2011
Without giving too much away, its hard to explain this lovely fairy tale! But its a nice light read, very heartwarming and a joy to follow. I enjoyed the story, which has a different feel due to the Prince being a female, which I was a bit concerned about at first, but it works so well, and explores the early sexuality of the main characters with a quiet dignity and respect. Well done and worth reading.
on 16 September 2011
I have just finished this book and I found it refreshingly different from the usual fairy tale fantasy.
The story is about a girl who rescues a fairy tale princess and exploring the feelings she has for the princess, her family and friends.
I found myself feeling for the characters and the emotions they went through.
This was a well written and well told story and I really enjoyed it.
A Hole in the World is not just a charming story but an inspiring example for us all - its writer, Sophie Robbins, is only eighteen and has already topped the best seller chart for her genre, (Gay and Lesbian Kindle books.)

The story is basically a fairy tale with a modern twist. The protagonist, Bianca, rescues a Princess from another world and, as is often the case in a good romantic story, is the last to notice that she's fallen in love. However, it looks as though Bianca may have left it too late to reveal her true feelings. The story keeps you hooked in, waiting to find out how things pan out for Bianca and her friends. Some parts of the story are reminiscent of "Enchanted" - a fairy tale Princess thrown into our modern world.

The lesbian element is handled admirably. The girls' sexualities are not unnecessarily sensationalised or thrust into the centre of the plot. Bianca's friends show a little surprise and engage in some gentle well-meant teasing, whilst the Princess Alexandra, behaves as if two girls falling in love the most natural thing in the world. This makes a refreshing change from many of the other titles centred on gay characters.

My favourite parts of the book were the parts when Alexandra tried to fit into our world, with varying success - these were very amusing. I was less interested by the fantasy battles but that's just my taste, they were well written and a necessary part of making the story work as well as it does.

I recommend this book for anybody who enjoys a good fairytale romance. Teenagers and young adults will probably enjoy it most. However, it certainly doesn't hurt a slightly older cynic, such as myself, to pick up a book bursting with the charm and naivety of a much younger writer. "A Hole in the World" is like a welcome breath of fresh air and I'm very glad that it was recommended to me.

Why only four stars? Because I think this is just the beginning of a fabulous writing career for Sophie, and I feel that her next book will be even better.
on 8 January 2012
What a beauty of a book. You might read the blurb and think "Pah, a fairytale" but what a fairytale ! And it's not just for kids !

I guess teens will have no problems identifying themselves to the characters, who have great interaction between each other, and transform this story into a wonderful story of love and friendship. Everyone would envy Bianca for having friends like hers.

I'm well grown up now. I don't really do young adults usually. Yet this story made me really nostalgic of what it was like when I was a teen. When you'd do things without wondering about the consequences, when you don't have to worry about bills, responsibilities and other grown-up things, when you discover what love is.

The story flows without flaws, it's got action and emotion. It's got fantasy and reality. And even if you're not keen on romance, it's romantic without being sickeningly sweet.

A fantastic read. Sophie's got an amazing talent and she's still so young. I can't wait to read more from her :)
on 25 October 2011
A fantastic book written really well. I am really surprised this is the only story that Sophie Robbins has published, she is bound to have at least a couple more that she could give us!

I'm a massive fantasy fan and particularly the fairy tale sort, so this book had me excited and I was intrigued by the twist of the female Prince Charming. On that particular point I have to say that Sophie's writing really portrayed the perfect nervous teenage 'i'm not sure about this' emotions while also making it a courting that even Austen would be proud of! In my opinion Sophie has a real talent for writing I was in a completely different world while reading this, I didn't even notice the bath had gone cold.

I'm looking forward to more books by Sophie I hope she doesn't keep us waiting too long.
on 18 October 2011
the charaters are so real it took me back to being 18 and at school. i would have loved this as a teenager, and love it now as an adult! beatifully written - please write more!
on 23 November 2011
I stumbled across this little story almost by accident, and I am so grateful that I did.

This is a gem of a tale that I would reccommend to anyone. It is easy to read and difficult to put down. I finished the whole thing in one sitting, and am looking forward to reading it again... and maybe take my time a bit more this time round.

The author addresses the subject of sexuality in a refreshing and uplifting way, but it is charming to find that the main focus is not sexuality but rather love and connection.

A simply lovely story by a promising writer, who I am looking forward to seeing more from!
on 8 December 2012
Often I don't have the time to review products but I really enjoyed this story. The dialogues were funny, the story was 'believable' even though it's about a fairytale princess. I would have loved this story as a teenager, but also adults will enjoy reading it. Pity there aren't more stories like this.
If you are looking for a well written modern fairytale that dares to step beyond the stereotypical boundaries (boy rescues girl), you have found what you were looking for.
on 19 January 2012
Okay. I literally just bought this ebook about an hour ago and I've read it in one sitting. It was very well-written with a flowing style and honestly funny moments that had me snickering quietly to myself. The characters were lovely and for what seemed like a short book, they were explored in more depth than you would expect.
However, it is the truly loveable main character that makes this story for me. She isn't all that conceited or arrogant, in fact she's rather prone to making mistakes and she often gets things wrong but her faults only served to endear her as a main character to me and, as such, I supported her fully throughout the book.
Although there were a few time jumps in the book that were slightly disconcerting, I believe they added to the overall effect of the ending and they did not impact my enjoyment of the story in the least.
Give this one a go; it's a good way to spend an hour or so.
on 26 September 2011
I really enjoyed reading this. This young author is obviously extremely talented. Her ability to show the awkwardness of dealing with blossoming love is quite striking. The rescue of the princess was a great romp that made me smile. The interplay of relationships have rarely been dealt with in such a fine manner, in anything I've ever read.