5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read
This book was a great read,no mud-slinging or dishing dirt which would have stopped me buying this book,just an honest recounting of Julie's time spent making this wonderful film and her life outside of this adventure,brilliant.
Published on 21 Mar. 2012 by Andrew Scott

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting
As a fan of the original film I was interested to read this book and an actors view of the time it was made
All in all a good book, but glad I didnt pay for it!
Published 21 months ago by Sioux

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, 21 Mar. 2012
Andrew Scott "as301" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Want it Now! A Memoir of Life on the Set of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 1 May 2011
Loved it! What a wonderful insight into a child star's life. The warmth of Julie Dawn Cole is evident throughout the book and her journey from being cast in one of the most famous films ever, through to her adventures that continued as an actress, a mother and onwards held my interest throughout. Having grown up watching the film as a child and most Christmas' since, I already hold fond personal memories, but reading Julie Dawn Cole's memoirs adds another dimension to the film.
Definitely a good egg and a fantastic nostalgic read.
Don't care how.. you must read it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweeter than chocolate, 16 Sept. 2012
Darren McCormac (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
In an age of the LOOK AT ME "celebrity" biography, this book comes as a true breath of fresh air.

Julie Dawn Cole was a child actress from a modest background in suburban England when she was selected to play the rather vile Veruca Salt in "Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" and this is as much the story of the film as it is her story. We trace her route to the auditions, through her love of the theatre inherited from her mother, and how difficult it was for her to play a character so very different to her actual personality.

The reader gets an excellent insight into the making of this film, remembered so fondly by many. It was a real challenge in a lot of ways - as much for the actors as for the production - and Julie Dawn really made me feel like I was there, through liberal use of anecdotes, photos and letters back home. It's clear that this was a bit of a lonely time for a young girl, despite having filming and rehearsals every day and schooling. She missed her family, and there are few who couldn't identify with that. It was nice to read how they all bonded, and the on-screen parents carried on that role off-screen.

I won't give anything away about the film itself. Julie Dawn does then trace her career after the film and answers the age-old question, did they ever see each other again. In all, a rather good read, despite a couple of OCR errors in the Kindle edition and many Americanisms.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Reading And Very Enjoyable, 30 Jun. 2012
Rebecca Thompson (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
I downloaded this a freebie and once I started reading it I was hooked. Julie Dawn Cole (Veruca in Willy Wonka) wrote about the time she spent making the original Willy Wonka film and her experiences on set.
This isn't a tell all book and there are no scandals or tales of arguments with cast members which are common in the majority of biographies today instead this is just a sweet book telling of Julie's time in Munich filming Willy Wonka.
There are a lot of lovely photos included most of which Julie took herself on set. As Julie's mother was unable to get time off work to accompany her daughter on the shoot Julie had a chaporone while in Munich and so also included in the book are copies of postcards and letters that she wrote home to her mum and sister. My only complaint about these is that in a printed book they would have been fine but on the kindle version they are too small to be able to read and even though I changed the font size to it's maximum I still couldn't read them so was a bit disapppointed as I'm sure they would have been interesting to read.
The book touches briefly on what Julie did later in her career but mainly focuses on her time in the film.
Overall a very good read and one of the best freebies I've had in a while.

4.0 out of 5 stars Behind the scenes at Charlie's Chocolate Factory., 25 Feb. 2013
This book does just as it says. Give the behind the scenes perspective on this fascinating and enjoyable film. Loved the idea of the rooms being real and the way things were kept secret to make it more exciting for the children.
Written in a very informal chatty style very accessible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very 'nice'!, 15 Jan. 2012
The book was exactly as described - an account of Julie Dawn Cole's experiences whilst acting in the film 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'. I found it informative and interesting. It was written in a jolly tone, no tragedy or bad feelings, everything was very nice and cosy and made me feel a little envious of her lovely life.

I would say this book wouldn't mean much to anyone who hasn't seen the film - though there is some information about Julie's early life and also her career as an adult actress. There are many photos (Kindle edition) and these were a wonderful illustration to the text.

I can't think of any negative points but would warn readers that there is an awful lot of name dropping (probably common in celebrity biographies) and the index took up 20% of the book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting pictures and memories of the infamous Veruca Salt., 8 Jan. 2012
Cheryl M-M (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is an interesting tidbit for movie buffs and especially Wonka. The actress who played Veruca Salt shares her memories and pictures of her career and life. I think the book is worth it just for some of the pictures that are less well known. What I found quite remarkable is how some of the cast members, that includes all non acting staff, are somehow intertwined within the upper echelons of Hollywood and/or the showbiz world. It is unfortunate that quite a few of the original cast members have already passed away. I do wonder what the writer thinks of the remake of Willie Wonka.

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyed the book - but marked it down due to the smal writing and pictures!, 11 Jan. 2012
libby_black (derbyshire, united kingdom) - See all my reviews
didnt know anything at all about julie apart from her role in willy wonka. from humble beginnings she landed this part and made it her own.

i enjoyed the book and read it in record time. on the plus side the book was full of pictures, which i found fascintating.

the one snag? it also had letters and greetings from other memeber of the cast, which in a printed book would have been fine, unfortunately on my kindle they appeared very tiny, maybe i need better glasses? because i found them too small to actually read and this limited the enjoyment of book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seeing the magic through Julie's eyes, 17 Jan. 2013
I gave this book 5 stars purely because of the magic it brought to reality through the eyes of Veruca Salt. An all time favourite movie of mine as a child and one that I have also passed down to my own daughter. Thank you, Julie, for writing about your experience of helping to create a movie that is loved by all - young and old. What a magical experience to have and fantastic memories to carry with you always. For fans of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, this book should feature as one of your 'must reads'.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, and a fascinating insight, 4 Dec. 2012
I'm not a Wonka obsessive, though I do have fond memories from childhood and own the Blu-ray; I downloaded the book because it looked like it was interesting, and I wasn't disappointed. There are some great stories in here, and the fish out of water tale of a young girl away from her family for the first time is captivating reading.

It ends rather abruptly with the page count indicating there was a lot more left, but if it hadn't been for that I'd say it's well paced and well told. Good stuff :)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›