Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CDChange

on 26 September 2012
After the last album caused so many to argue she's lost it,trying to change her style a little,she comes back with something closer to what she's known for.
Personally,i loved THE HOUSE,but i'm also very much into the softer side of Melua,so this is fine by me.
Stand out songs for me are GOLD IN THEM HILL and THE BIT THAT I DON'T GET,but there's nothing on here i don't like,plus her voice is as beautiful as ever.
Now this is what i call a singer,you can keep your AMY WINEHOUSES or MARIA CARIEYS,KATIE MELUA beats them hands down in my view.
It seems a few found this dull,perhaps if they let it grow on them so that the tracks become familiar,let's face it,after THE HOUSE,people said she needs to back to the softer stuff,but now this is too bland for them,she just can't win. But saying that,she's still a winner in my eyes ...and ears.
on 26 July 2012
Whilst I admit to being a fan of Katie Melua music I had lost touch with her for, what I would like to say was, a couple of years but may have been even longer. It was in this context that act of booking to see a live performance in the magical environs of Hampton Court was made in act of good faith. Oh but how this act was repaid. It was not so much the old favourites that captivated the audience but, even more so, the new songs. Songs that contained a Katie Melua signature; but as if they were a left handed signature from a right handed person. Familiar, and yet hauntingly different. Secret Symphony is now my favourite Katie Melua album and i hope that I do not have to wait quite as long for the next one; although as she is about to get married I suspect that i might have to.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I've always liked Katie Melua's voice and have all of her albums - in particular I loved `Piece by Piece' but found `Pictures' a bit of a slog, so was pleased with the change in direction with the William Orbit produced `The House'. For the `Secret Symphony', KM is back with Mike Batt and I feared a `Pictures 2' but how wrong I was. This album has excellent production, coupled with some great songs, that showcases KM's voice and talent superbly. This is perfectly illustrated by the excellent cover of `Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out' - now officially my favourite Katie Melua album.
on 25 April 2012
Thi latest CD from Katie Melua is absolutely great. If you like her style of music and sultry tones this CD won't disappoint.
on 8 July 2012
I wont review this track by track as others have already done a fine job of this previously. All I have to say is Katie is back at her supreme best doing what she is good at. Attempts at being a rock chick I am glad to say have been dropped.

Instead beautifully crafted songs sung with absolute clarity and pure emotion. Just put your feet up, pour a large glass of wine and let the music flow over you, this album is superb!!
on 13 March 2012
Back to where she started. Good songs , beautifully sung , with excellent backing / orchestration.
No "rocking rubbish". Also back with the depth that Mike Batt brings.
Lovers of melody and "Close to Crazy" - this is for you.
on 25 April 2012
I just love Katy Melua and now have 2 of her discs.This one is even better than the first one I purchased.She is an amazing singer and the musical backing is also superb.There are no tracks that I dislike and I could listen to her all day long.
on 31 October 2015
Secret Symphony well maybe we all like secrets I'm sure I'm in love with this album. Not just because it is a beautiful album but also here is a secret Katie Melua, I met in Birmingham, 2006 I knew nothing of her only what she told me that day. I was looking for my bus at the time and was struggling as I'm partially sighted and was having problems finding the bus station. I saw this lovely young lady across the street could only make out her outline until she crossed over and came close to me to chat. She had lovely dark hair like silk. And was about same height as me. I suppose you could say in a word I was spellbound especially by her eyes but I never said anything about them of course how amazing they were. Instead I asked where the bus station was. She said she didn't know, she was not from the area. But to cut a long story short I asked other questions; where was she from, what does she do and where she presently lives. She said she is from Georgia originally, (next to Russia) that she sings and presently lives in London. I just couldn't think what else to say, after all what did I know about music? Not much. Though I thought of number of things, but knew they could sound daft. I wanted to make good first impression because she was so lovely. So maybe she saw I was awe struck and smiling she pointed to where buses were coming from. Then she said politely "I really must go now". I thanked her for her kind help and hoped I would see her again someday, then several month later my friend who was autistic wanted to learn to play guitar and we found a free guitar website called justinguitar and there I saw Katie's picture, Justin had taught her to play guitar from scratch. I have since been to see Katie 3 times in concert. And gladly bought all her albums and recent single. Katie, never told me she was famous of course, but maybe she knew I might find her again.
on 5 January 2013
"Secret Symphony" is a fine album from Katie Melua. Her performance and material are excellent. Songs include "Gold In Them Hills" by Canadian singer/songwriter Ron Sexsmith, "Better than A Dream" and The Bit That I Don't Get". It's a very relaxing album, but just when you've settled down to listen, you suddenly hit a change of tempo on Track 4, "Moonshine". More relxaing fare follows, but we go uptempo again on Track 9, "Heartstrings" Among the 15 tracks on offer you will find a cover of Francoise Hardy's "All Over The World" and another cover of a much older song "Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out". I also loved "The Walls Of The World" and the title track.

The Bonus Tracks (known as the "Secret Sessions") are "Feels Like Home" by Randy Newman, "Too Long At The Fair" by Joel Zoss and two covers of well known past hits, "Love Me Tender" (Elvis Presley) and "It's Over" (Roy Orbison).

The live concert includes tracks from Katie's previous albums as well as live performances of 10 of the original 11 "Secret Symphony" tracks. The song she didn't include was "Forgetting All My Troubles". I loved the concert disc as well as the studio album. It is worth listending to even if you have the original version of "Secret Symphony". A beautiful experience.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I have always admired the talents of Katie Melua but looked forwarded to this release with a little apprehension. Her last CD "The House" was an interesting experiment but sadly did not work and so it with joy that she returns to working with Mike Batt. This CD is probably the best she has made in her career. They work so well together, it is perfect harmony. I've only listened to the CD twice and already I have several favourites. "The Bit That I Don't Get" is sheer brilliance - I've been there and the song says it all. "Nobody Knows When....." is a classic of another age and Katie realy brings her jazz influences to the fore. With just 11 songs I know that each of them is going to become a personal favourite. The only "complaint" is that the version of "All Over The World" is just a straight copy of Francouise Hardy and I would have liked some personal influence rather than copying the original - I can see why they selected it though, the voices are so similar. Welcome back Katie, this is a really superb CD, a truly gifted relationship between Katie and Mike Batt.