5.0 out of 5 stars Her Best To Date
Published 19 months ago by Steve Horsfall - Author / Writer

2.0 out of 5 stars Very dissappointing
We all know that Katie Melua has an excellent voice, but what matters most of all are the type of tunes she sings.

After seeing her in concert last year in Sheffield - she was superb (despite a dulled lifeless audience), - and after the brilliant "House" album the next was eagerly anticipated.

Sorry to say this collection is a step backwards in her...
Published on 17 Mar 2012 by An Artist

5.0 out of 5 stars Her Best To Date, 7 Sep 2012
This review is from: Secret Symphony (Audio CD)
I've always liked Katie Melua's voice and have all of her albums - in particular I loved `Piece by Piece' but found `Pictures' a bit of a slog, so was pleased with the change in direction with the William Orbit produced `The House'. For the `Secret Symphony', KM is back with Mike Batt and I feared a `Pictures 2' but how wrong I was. This album has excellent production, coupled with some great songs, that showcases KM's voice and talent superbly. This is perfectly illustrated by the excellent cover of `Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out' - now officially my favourite Katie Melua album.

5.0 out of 5 stars KATIE DELIVERS AGAIN, 26 Sep 2012
This review is from: Secret Symphony (Audio CD)
After the last album caused so many to argue she's lost it,trying to change her style a little,she comes back with something closer to what she's known for.
Personally,i loved THE HOUSE,but i'm also very much into the softer side of Melua,so this is fine by me.
Stand out songs for me are GOLD IN THEM HILL and THE BIT THAT I DON'T GET,but there's nothing on here i don't like,plus her voice is as beautiful as ever.
Now this is what i call a singer,you can keep your AMY WINEHOUSES or MARIA CARIEYS,KATIE MELUA beats them hands down in my view.
It seems a few found this dull,perhaps if they let it grow on them so that the tracks become familiar,let's face it,after THE HOUSE,people said she needs to back to the softer stuff,but now this is too bland for them,she just can't win. But saying that,she's still a winner in my eyes ...and ears.

5.0 out of 5 stars Katie - the best!, 25 April 2012
This review is from: Secret Symphony (Audio CD)
Thi latest CD from Katie Melua is absolutely great. If you like her style of music and sultry tones this CD won't disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than Expected, 26 July 2012
Education Harbour Ltd (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Secret Symphony (Audio CD)
Whilst I admit to being a fan of Katie Melua music I had lost touch with her for, what I would like to say was, a couple of years but may have been even longer. It was in this context that act of booking to see a live performance in the magical environs of Hampton Court was made in act of good faith. Oh but how this act was repaid. It was not so much the old favourites that captivated the audience but, even more so, the new songs. Songs that contained a Katie Melua signature; but as if they were a left handed signature from a right handed person. Familiar, and yet hauntingly different. Secret Symphony is now my favourite Katie Melua album and i hope that I do not have to wait quite as long for the next one; although as she is about to get married I suspect that i might have to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Bliss, 8 July 2012
This review is from: Secret Symphony (Audio CD)
I wont review this track by track as others have already done a fine job of this previously. All I have to say is Katie is back at her supreme best doing what she is good at. Attempts at being a rock chick I am glad to say have been dropped.

Instead beautifully crafted songs sung with absolute clarity and pure emotion. Just put your feet up, pour a large glass of wine and let the music flow over you, this album is superb!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real Katie Melua, 13 Mar 2012
This review is from: Secret Symphony (Audio CD)
Back to where she started. Good songs , beautifully sung , with excellent backing / orchestration.
No "rocking rubbish". Also back with the depth that Mike Batt brings.
Lovers of melody and "Close to Crazy" - this is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Secret Symphony, 25 April 2012
This review is from: Secret Symphony (Audio CD)
I just love Katy Melua and now have 2 of her discs.This one is even better than the first one I purchased.She is an amazing singer and the musical backing is also superb.There are no tracks that I dislike and I could listen to her all day long.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply superb, 5 Mar 2012
M. A. Dunnington (Stourbridge, West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Secret Symphony (Audio CD)
I have always admired the talents of Katie Melua but looked forwarded to this release with a little apprehension. Her last CD "The House" was an interesting experiment but sadly did not work and so it with joy that she returns to working with Mike Batt. This CD is probably the best she has made in her career. They work so well together, it is perfect harmony. I've only listened to the CD twice and already I have several favourites. "The Bit That I Don't Get" is sheer brilliance - I've been there and the song says it all. "Nobody Knows When....." is a classic of another age and Katie realy brings her jazz influences to the fore. With just 11 songs I know that each of them is going to become a personal favourite. The only "complaint" is that the version of "All Over The World" is just a straight copy of Francouise Hardy and I would have liked some personal influence rather than copying the original - I can see why they selected it though, the voices are so similar. Welcome back Katie, this is a really superb CD, a truly gifted relationship between Katie and Mike Batt.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very dissappointing, 17 Mar 2012
This review is from: Secret Symphony (MP3 Download)

Sorry to say this collection is a step backwards in her career. After "House" I thought she was starting on a new and exciting musical adventure, but I was mistaken.

There is a lack of breadth of variety of songs, changes in melody and the range over which her voice is applied. It is all quite bland and safe. Yes boring. The disappointment increased with every passing song.

Please, Katie, leave Mike Batt in the past and move on to something more challenging then this, your least effective album release to date.

I suggest this album has been released due to commercial considerations being placed above quality control.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, 6 Mar 2012
T. BEDDIS (West Midlands England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Secret Symphony (Audio CD)
I have admired Katie's work for some time so it was with anticipation that I waited for my copy of the latest cd to arrive. My expectations were rewarded. I've already listened to it 3 times today. The combination of Katie's superb voice with beautiful music and lyrics is magical. The best to date in my opinion. As a fan of Leonard Cohen I was left thinking - so easy to listen to - lyrics that have something to say matched with a great voice. A tribute to the talents of Mike Batt too!

ARRAY(0xa335c834)

Secret Symphony
Secret Symphony by Katie Melua (Audio CD - 2012)