5.0 out of 5 stars about time!
Published on 9 Oct 2007 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version does not have translation
I purchased this as I wanted the translation and as I needed it quickly I thought I would get the kindle version. Unfortunately the kindle version does not have a translation. I'm not going to complain to much as it was only 70 p. I have written this review to hopefully help other people from making my mistake.
Published 13 months ago by Mrs. C. S. Mcmillan

5.0 out of 5 stars about time!, 9 Oct 2007
I absolutely hated Shakespeare at school. To me, it was all utterly incomprehensible gobbledigook. Thus, I whiled away the lessons with a secret comic stuffed in the pages, proudly failing my English Literature 'O' level, happy that I had would never forget this rubbish as I had deliberately not learned a word of it in the space of two years of enforced study. So now, twenty-two years later, I felt somewhat embarrassed in a business course recently where the trainer made some funny anecdote about an actor not being able to see a dagger and thus giving a poor performance.. Intrigued, my search led me to the website of this book. I immediately bought it and read it enthralled, cover to cover, in the space of two days. If only we had had this at school! The book is very nicely laid out : one side of a double page is the original, the other a modern English translation. The beauty of this book is that it does not preach to you about what is important to understand for an exam; it is purely a translation. The translation makes no attempt at maintaining any of the poetic nature of the original, it is purely and simply, plain English. The side-by-side format allows you to read a passage in modern English, and then at-a-glance read the original text and try to work out the meaning. Doing this you find that it is possible to understand, on a second reading, the original text, even though it made no sense on first reading. The translation about the 'insane root' being 'drugs' was hilarious, and with reflection could be understood, as in those days they would undoudtedly have known the effects of mistakenly eating wild plant tubers like fools parsley and hemlock. The story of Macbeth itself is utterly gripping; I could hardly put the book down. I had no idea the Bard's plays would be this good from my wretched experience at school. And now how I clearly recall the scolding advice of our old English teachers, to 'not read any of the exam notes' like 'Brodie's notes' as that 'would not help you learn what it was really about' and was 'akin to cheating.' As Macbeth, I would curse them all to hell, for having cheated me out of what should have been a wonderful educational experience. No Fear Shakespeare - thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Value for money or what!, 21 Mar 2012
Pedro Conejo (Fuerteventura, Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Macbeth (Kindle Edition)
It's Macbeth, it's Shakespeare. This is an excellently priced publication for students and anyone else who has to read or study large amounts of literature. My only complaint is that it doesn't include the Dramatis Personae at the beginning. Otherwise, perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 Mar 2011
I'm a Mature student and a first time reader of Shakespear and particularly Macbeth. I could not have done my first essay without the support and help of 'No Fear Shakespeare' - which translated the play for me in plain every day English. First class read, easy to understand, enjoyable and highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Macbeth Made easy, 11 Feb 2012
My son found this book on Macbeth, No Fear, very easy to read and to understand the story of Macbeth, which in his original school book was very hard to understand. Even his friends at school have taken a loan of this book to help them to.
Would highly recommend this book for any school child that is studying Macbeth for their GCSE.

4.0 out of 5 stars Used for an acting summer school, 21 Aug 2010
Ms. D. Jones (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought a number of these for a summer school run at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama in Glasgow as it was the prefered edition for the acting lecturer. Useful notations and easy to follow very useful for those studying the text in depth and those who wish to perform the text.

5.0 out of 5 stars Macbeth is actually very interesting!, 11 Mar 2011
This book seriosly helped me understand Shakespeare language perfectly.
It helped me get through my english essay without any problems whereas other people that
didnt have this book struggled very much.
However I still would read other Shakespeare plays now that I know I'll be able to understand it. :D sooo im very happy with it :D

4.0 out of 5 stars helpful notes, 7 Oct 2010
Knittygitty (London England) - See all my reviews
This book seems as though it will be just right for my son who will be studying Macbeth next term - clear and helpful translations which should help him to get started with Shakespeare.

5.0 out of 5 stars Home Educator Found it Helpful, 12 Oct 2014
Mistwyche (Wiltshire UK) - See all my reviews
As a home educator of a 13 year old, working through KS3, I really like the layout of this book. With the original text on one side and clear explanation on the opposite page of what is going on, it makes working through Shakespeare a lot easier, and saves having to flick back and forth to check the meanings of certain words. I still needed to find additional material to explain the themes, historical background and thinking of the time, but at least this book helped us to follow the plot and dialogue of the characters. Very useful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 12 July 2014
This review is from: Macbeth (Kindle Edition)
Good

5.0 out of 5 stars Shakespeare the easy way., 2 April 2014
Chose this because I had purchased other titles in the "No Fear Shakespeare" series before. Found this one equally as good. Made the understanding of the play much easier. Useful also that the original text is opposite the translation. Would not hesitate to purchase other titles in this series in the future.

Macbeth