5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING! Real Rice!
I am not a expert of brown rice but I have found this rice to be very tasty and is excellent value for money, far far cheaper than the shops.

Published 22 months ago by Charles

1.0 out of 5 stars will not purchase this item again
Published 19 months ago by dragonfly2012

5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING! Real Rice!, 14 Jun 2012
Charles - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Suma Organic Long Grain Brown Rice 3 kg (Grocery)

Brown rice is less fluffy than white rice, organic brown rice is even less fluffy than normal brown rice and this organic brown rice is yet even more less fluffy than other organic brown rice that I have had. I have lessened the toughness of the rice by cooking the rice a bit longer but even with the extra cooking this is a chewy not soft and fluffy rice.

This rice takes about 50 minutes to boil or around 30 minutes if you soak it first, this is roughly 5-10 minutes longer than the normal cooking time for organic brown rice.

I have bought 23 packets of this rice so far, one packet had a small hole in it and another packet had a few bugs in it! My understanding is that with organic products you are more likely to get the occasional bug because it's very hard to control bugs without using chemicals, so in fact organic without the occasional bug is suspicious and would suggest chemicals have been used. The bugs are harmless to eat by the way but it's freaky to see things moving around in the rice. To be fair I have bought many packets of this rice and only one had bugs in it. I have probably now put you off this rice, but sorry all organic products have this problem it's what happens when you don't use chemicals.

Don't buy this if you want rice that's quick to cook or soft and fluffy, but do buy this if you want rice without the pesticides/fungicides with a chewy texture and wonderful taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Rice after a little trial and error., 26 Jan 2013
This review is from: Suma Organic Long Grain Brown Rice 3 kg (Grocery)
This rice is not the softest and fluffiest ever, but has a wonderful flavour.
After following the 'on the bag' cooking instructions, I found many grains stuck to the pan and not properly cooked. I then tried an 'automatic' rice cooker which was even worse, with a thick layer of uncooked grains almost welded to the base of the pan and very difficult to remove after.
Only my always favourite method of cooking this type of rice works for me; that is to rinse then soak the rice for about 15-20 minutes, meanwhile bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, then add the rice to the boiling water. Wait for the water and rice to return to boiling, then stir with a wooden spoon to ensure no grains are stuck to the pan, cover the pan and lower the heat to achieve a slow steady boil for around 25-30 minutes. Strain the cooked rice though a strainer (pour through a kettle of boiling water if wished) then leave in the sieve over the saucepan for 5 minutes, Stir and serve. Success every time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality rice, 15 July 2013
This review is from: Suma Organic Long Grain Brown Rice 3 kg (Grocery)
I love long grain rice and the fact that this is organic is even better!!

It is just as easy to cook as other regular brown rice. Just soak it before cooking and put it in the rice cooker.

Some might not like the taste of brown rice, but actually if you get used to this, you won't go back to white rice! And this is healthier too with more fiber than white rice.

The delivery was super fast (next day, as I am a Prime subscriber) and I'm very happy with this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good product, 7 May 2013
This review is from: Suma Organic Long Grain Brown Rice 3 kg (Grocery)
Brown rice is a staple for me and this one from Suma is excellent. I would not be without it and may buy a 20kg bag next winter!

5.0 out of 5 stars nice rice, 8 April 2013
This review is from: Suma Organic Long Grain Brown Rice 3 kg (Grocery)
great rice, great flavour takes a bit longer to cook..but its well worth it and at a great price will buy again

4.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, 24 Jan 2013
This review is from: Suma Organic Long Grain Brown Rice 3 kg (Grocery)
I was looking for bulk pack of brown rice, It was good value, tasted ok, and good value for money.

4.0 out of 5 stars shorter grain than expected, 21 Jun 2013
This review is from: Suma Organic Long Grain Brown Rice 3 kg (Grocery)
it is hard to find organic rice this was ok although the grain was not what I expected it was more like short grain rice

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS ITEN WAS A GIFT, 6 Jan 2014
This review is from: Suma Organic Long Grain Brown Rice 3 kg (Grocery)
I cannot give a honest review on this item, it was a gift delivered to the recipient, and not to me. Overall I think she was happy as I did not get a negative feedback from the person.

1.0 out of 5 stars will not purchase this item again, 10 Sep 2012
This review is from: Suma Organic Long Grain Brown Rice 3 kg (Grocery)
I have tried to cook this rice but many of the grains remain uncooked! I have tried in the pan and in my electric steamer but the same problem occurs. Suma says to use 1 part rice to 2 parts water and cook for 45mins but even after 1h10mins and using up to 7 parts water to 1 part rice, the rice remained partly uncooked. I have cooked many types of rice including whole brown and whole red rice with very good results so I can only think that there is something wrong with the rice. I tried to contact Suma both by email and telephone but did not get a response from them. Luckily Amazon has a great customer care service and they have refunded the cost of this item.

ARRAY(0xa3494edc)