1,111 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Very handy & supportive
Now we are both in our seventies we found we were making navigational errors, and then getting more stressed attempting to find our way back on course! Friends had recommended SatNav in general and TomTom in particular. After a few weeks scanning descriptions and reviews we plumped for the TomTom XL IQ. It was delivered within a few days and I then spent an evening with...
Published on 19 Oct. 2009 by Amazon Customer

1,244 of 1,268 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Lost the UK Map during update
I purchased a new XL IQ Routes 2 (UK ROI & Europe) and it arrived at mid afternoon. I checked it on a short run in my car, then hooked it up to my laptop to downloaded updated maps. An hour later after updating my map I found that the update procedure (which is totally controlled by the Tom Tom software) had completely erased my UK map.

After emailing TomTom...
Published on 6 Oct. 2010 by C. C. Weaver

‹ Previous | 121 22 23112 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars 1st Sat Nav, 6 Jun. 2013
This review is from: TomTom XXL Classic 5" Sat Nav with Western Europe Maps (22 Countries) (discountinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
After reading other reviews I was worried that I had bought a 'PIG IN A POKE'. However I found the unit extremely simple to set up and did not experience any of the upgrade issues that people have spoken about, all went smoothly.
A lovely clear screen, good timely verbal info and the keyboard is a good size on the 5' screen. All in all very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars tom tom xxl classic, 29 May 2012
very good, picks up the signal very quick and has a nice big screen. 5 stars from me. has even got me to amsterdam. i would recomend this to everyone

4.0 out of 5 stars My first Sat Nav..., 3 July 2009
N. Pearson (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
I've used my TomTom XL IQ Routes a few times now and am generally pleased with it. As a first-time sat nav user I found the instructions pretty poor, but I guess I will get to grips with all the functionality eventually. My one major gripe is that getting the power lead out of the unit is really difficult and I am always concerned I may damage it in the process.

1.0 out of 5 stars If I could give it a minus score I would, 31 Jan. 2014
This isn't a patch on my old XL model; there have been problems with the GPS fix right from the start and on 2 occasions i have had to find my way out of a strange town using road signs because it wasn't getting a fix. It now doesn't get a GPS fix at all & I discovered from reading the troubleshooting page on the TomTom site that it can take up to 45minutes to get a fix and that it isn't good to try getting a fix whilst on the move. TomTom were downright unhelpful when I rang customer service but fortunately it was within the timescale to return the item to Amazon who were very helpful. I will replace it but NOT with another TomTom as even with one that isn't faulty it seems I'd have to get in my car 45 minutes before I start a journey just to be sure I can get a GPS fix.

4.0 out of 5 stars XL IQ ROUTES, 21 Oct. 2010
Bought the unit just proir to going to Portugal via France and Spain. Vrey pleased with the Tom Tom any changes to the route are picked up very quickly and alterations made. One slight problem the unit did crash on the way down,don't know why, luckily i had the instructions and was able to reboot,easy process.

4.0 out of 5 stars 1st Tom Tom, 30 Mar. 2011
I have to admit I have put off buying a sat nav for a long time and now that I have my first experience is a great one. This is a great bit of kit and well worth its price. The 3D image is fantastic compared to others I looked at at a higher price.

The motorway lane assist is also a great feature. You really can't go wrong with it. It is very quick re-caculate a route if you take a turn it hasn't reccomended.

The only thing is sometimes its a little behind, only by a second or two but when your approaching a junction it can be a little late. On Mways it also warned me of a speed camera which wasn't there anymore and then didn't warn me on the road that there was a speed camera on.

Small issues but overall a very happy customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Could be Good but......., 14 July 2009
David G (West Midlands) - See all my reviews
Bad start. First time I used the TomTom was on a journey from the West Midlands to Bristol Airport. All was going well until I got to the M5 / M4 interchange which the unit completely ignored. No verbal or visual instructions were given and the advanced lane guidance system failed to recognise the existance of any motorway junction. A hasty last minute lane switch avoided me heading off in the wrong direction down the M4 to London.

Good middle. The unit has now been extensively used in the sprawl of the West Midlands conurbation and parts of rural Warickshire. In contrast to my initial experience here the TomTom has been superb with good route plans and the advanced lane guidance has been a great asset in the M5 / M6 / M42 area. Had the story ended here I would have given the product 4 or even 5 stars.

Bad End. After 3 weeks use, suddenly confronted with a red screen and warning of "Unable to Load Map". Several attempts at resetting the TomTom failed to cure the problem. I had previously backed up the device onto my PC using the TomTom Home2 software but using the restore facility did not fix the problem. I then tried downloading and installing the newer version of the map that was available. Although this got rid of the error message the unit would not go past the TomTom start-up screen. The TomTom web site offered some help on the problem, such as "download this programme to fix the flash memory" or if this fails "copy all files to your PC and reformat the drive". No thank you, at £185 this should be a well sorted reliable consumer device and not behave like an old fashioned PC peripheral with unreliable software. Have now sent the TomTom back to Amazon as faulty goods and requested a refund.

I may try another one in a few months time in the hope that by then TomTom will have addressed some of the teething problems with this new product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dont buy it!", 5 Jan. 2015
This item was purchased on the 1st December. Unfortunately when using it I realised that it was two years out of date and I was unable to find roads around Torquay. Updating it I found it was still 1 year out of date. I then found out that updates in the future would cost 0ver £50. This is a con!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tom Tom Sat Nav, 4 July 2013
Excellent device and very easy to use and understand. For someone like me nervous when trying to learn and use 'technical gadgets' this one is perfect. I would not now like to travel without it and avoids all the problems of trying to map read on the move!
I would certainly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant SATNAV, 11 Jun. 2014
As of TomTom one of the lead makers of Sat Nav's I knew that this Sat Nav would be worth getting, and it was. The 5 inch display is really clear and the touch is very precised, the windscreen stand for the Sat Nav as well is also very easy to clip on and is very sturdy when on windscreen. The Sat Nav has very clear audio where you can understand clearly directions as well as their 3D and 2D view which enhances your Sat Navigation experience. It also tell you what speed you are going and will detect speed camera giving you a alarming sound that is subtle but still noticeable.

It is truly a good piece of tech and I would recommend this to anybody in need of a Sat Nav. It is reliable and very accurate.

‹ Previous | 121 22 23112 | Next ›