4.0 out of 5 stars Very handy & supportive
Now we are both in our seventies we found we were making navigational errors, and then getting more stressed attempting to find our way back on course! Friends had recommended SatNav in general and TomTom in particular. After a few weeks scanning descriptions and reviews we plumped for the TomTom XL IQ. It was delivered within a few days and I then spent an evening with...
Published on 19 Oct 2009 by Amazon Customer

1,199 of 1,222 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Lost the UK Map during update
I purchased a new XL IQ Routes 2 (UK ROI & Europe) and it arrived at mid afternoon. I checked it on a short run in my car, then hooked it up to my laptop to downloaded updated maps. An hour later after updating my map I found that the update procedure (which is totally controlled by the Tom Tom software) had completely erased my UK map.

After emailing TomTom...
Published on 6 Oct 2010 by C. C. Weaver

‹ Previous | 1 2 399 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Dumbed Down TomTom, 16 Aug 2010
M. Enever - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace my old TomTom One Europe as the battery had died. I have now used this one for two months and regret not sending it back. They have taken out many good features of the older versions.

If you are new to satnavs then this might suffice, but if you have used older models you need to seriously consider if this offers all you want and are used to from your old/current model.

Pros - It has a nice large display, seems to pick up satellite lock quickly, it is a very thin package, including the window attachment and has speed camera alerts.

Cons - They have removed some of the better features of the older type;
- no ability to view the route TomTom has chosen,
- no ability to plan an itinerary,
- no ability to change the route to avoid a specific area or road (ie if you know there has been an accident on the M1 there is no way to have it choose a route that avoids that road or part of it!)
- the map remains in the same orientation (so sometimes you are driving down or across the screen which can be disorienting when at a junction)
- you cannot adjust what is displayed on the screen (used to be able to turn specific details on or off as desired)
- you can no longer navigate to an intersection of roads

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor service from Tom Tom, 1 Dec 2009
P. Bougeard - See all my reviews
If you purchase a Tom Tom and have no issues, they are a fantastic product. However, if anything goes wrong and you have to deal with their customer service, things turn into a nightmare. My Tom Tom went wrong when activating the blue tooth, so my advice is to stick to the basics of just letting the thing get you from A to B.

Back to Tom Tom's customer service, it took me over 8 months to finally get a replacement after this the product had been sent to Germany, Scotland and Holland. Emails unanswered, 55 minutes plus spent on the phone and numerous occasions reformatting the hard drive. I really got the distinct impression that Tom Tom were hoping that I would just give up.

Unfortunately some of their devices do have faults, but why make people endure such a protracted process before replacing items? I cannot recommend Tom Tom on any level as their customer care is a total disgrace and will leave you frustrated and angry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value, fantastic technology, 26 Jun 2009
Mr. W. Mullan (South Shields, UK) - See all my reviews
I've used several satnav sets and this one is the best yet. The Lane guidance is very neat and the overall ease of use is fantastic. The screen size is just about right and the unit is fairly compact. The quick release mounting is very neat and easy to use. Highly recommended. Can't comment on the customer service - I know some others have had problems in this area but so far so good for me - not had to call for support. Seems to be very reliable and the GPS locks onto satellites really quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars TomTom XL IQ Europe Edition, 1 Sep 2009
This is a great sat nav if you do not need all the extras i.e. bluetooth or MP3 player.
It is slim and attractive with plenty of map features and advanced lane guidance which gives you a clue on those more complex motorway junctions. Complete with Western European maps this makes it a good buy at £150.
Wide screen and IQ routes which TomTom say will save you money !!!

Using TomTom Home you can download the latest map share corrections and upgrade voices pointers and POI's.

I had TomTom sat nav on a PDA for four years and decided to upgrade to an all in one model.

I found an error on the map near where I live which has been on every TomTom but the type of error I could not correct (other minor errors you can correct and send to TomTom) so I made a note of the error on the TomTom and it sent the error to TomTom the next time I connected it to the internet simples!!

The only issue with this is that it you cannot add another map - for instance USA as the memory is not upgradeable and is pretty full with the western Europe map - although I am not sure if you can replace one map with another - looks possible

2.0 out of 5 stars Good kit, appalling customer service!, 26 Aug 2009
Steve Oliver - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace a stolen unit so clearly I like the product. However, on this occasion I've been sorely disappointed by TomTom customer service. This arrived with an out of date map and no matter what instructions I followed from TomTom it would not accept the 'Latest Map Guarantee' download (which takes a while by the way). TomTom's view (after giving my instructions for a Windows PC despite asking what operating system I use - Mac) was that I was not downloading the whole file. Trouble is, it's a single file that is supplied by TomTom from their website and the web is littered with people who have the same problem. So, I've had 6 attempts, including a complete rebuild of the system and now TomTom don't even bother to respond to the trouble calls. The second issue I have is that to get back to where I was before with my 'Map Update Service' which I paid good money for and only received one of the four maps a year, I have to rebuy it but also I have to buy the latest map (as Latest Map Guarantee won't work) at around £75 - so, £170 for the device, £75 for the latest map and then £30 to £40 for the update service. An expensive proposition - there are better value devices out there with better customer service.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dire Software don't buy, 5 Dec 2009
David A. Woods (Chester UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this Tomtom on their reputation and the specification met my needs. It does everything it says it should very well. It has great functionality and is easy to use straight out of the box but there major issues with the software.

Tom Tom offer latest map guarantees and encourage you to update software on a regular basis. My experience of this is that the software upgrades are not reliable. I got several error messages on downloading the updates until eventually the whole sat nav software crashed. Even using a restore point from a previos backup had errors in it preventing the restore completing. I sent it back for a replacement.

The 2nd Tom Tom had the same issues on connecting to the Tom Tom site for updates and latest maps. Its fine if you never update!!!!

I sent the second back a got a refund and purchased a Garmin 1340T.

Its a shame, Tom Tom need to give some serious attention to debugging their software upgrades before release; its just plain sloppy for such a large company.

Coincidentally when I purchased the garmin from Halfords they confirmed that they had lots of reports of problems with Tom Tom software.

On a plus Amazon exchanged once and then refunded without argument. Great customer service.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good product but don't expect your cashback, 13 July 2009
Lego Man Mk. II - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This satnav seems to be well made and is smart in appearance. The user interface is not as simple and intuitive as the Garmin's, nor are the maps as visually pleasing. However, the unit is more adaptable and there are many more options with which you can personalise the device in various ways, for example, the appearance of maps and the options you want to be available in the menu.

It doesn't offer the same intensity of turn-by-turn audible instructions which the Garmin offers. This may be a good thing or a bad thing as per individual preferences.

The screen is not as visible in bright sunlight as the Garmin 765T which I had previously. However, there is an energy saving feature whereby you can set the screen to dim automatically when no route changes are required, so this helps save batter life which is only about 1.5 hours in my own casual testing.

The easy-port mount is excellent and it will not come off. I think it is actually better than the Garmin mounts, although it is slightly awkward to fit, especially if the satnav device is attached, and the unit is a little cumbersome to attach to the mount when on the windscreen, and you could easily think it was attached only for it to potentially fall away when you remove your hands! What I do really like about the mount is that you can fit the fully charged unit at the top of the windscreen - the mount is so neat. You could not so easily or satisfactorily do this with the Garmin standard mounts.

Some users have reported issues with the car charger and USB mount location. It is a little awkward, but in use it is very neat, and shouldn't present any real problem to those who are careful.

I had no problems with TomTom Home; the maps were easily updated and I also was able to download a couple of fun voices. Be careful not to overload the device though with useless nonsense.

I've not used the unit extensively enough so can't comment on the routes provided.

On the whole I would recommend this device.

Update 1:

I find the cable connector is pretty difficult to remove and is certainly a design flaw. I find it easiest to remove with my teeth. Not ideal. Also, the satellite pick-up is very slow, 2 minutes the other day. Finally, I was looking for McDonald's restaurant in a certain place, and although it knew where it was, it was unable to find a route to it. Bit odd. But still I think it's a good unit.

Update 2:

I bought this product when Tomtom were offering £20 cashback after 30 days. I tried to do this, but got error messages each time. I tried again, and had no success so have now given up. If I was cynical I'd say Tomtom didn't want you to be able to claim back your cashback. Tomtom have a facelace quality about them - the customer service is poor and they have in the past ignored me when it was my money that was at stake: for example I ordered a case from Tomtom directly. I wished to return it, and after promises of sending out a pre-paid return envelope, this never materialised, so I had to accept my loss. It seems to me that Tomtom is grand as long as nothing goes wrong. Just don't give them your credit card details. That applies to their LIVE services which aren't available on this particular product. A company that can't easily be contacted, and who ignore customers is not to be trusted. Be careful with Tomtom.

On the other hand, I've never had any problems with Amazon; their customer service is excellent and even with these criticisms of tomtom, would still recommend this particular product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Less functionality than older models. Irritatingly., 15 Aug 2010
I bought the XL Edition 2 Europe to replace a 5-year old TomTom 710 which has started to lose signal. I hoped for a slicker version of what I already had in a more compact case.

What I got was a smart looking, but ultimately disappointing satnav. For some inexplicable reason, TomTom have removed some of the functions of older models. Most significantly, they have removed the Itinerary Planning feature. This used to allow you to plan a route with several waypoints en route. So, for example, if you are a delivery driver, you could programme a series of deliveries and get a total route length/time. I used the old version to plan trips in Europe to take in certain roads or villages.

Now all you can do is plan from A to B (adding one 'via' if required). Why they removed this function, I do not know. After some internet searching, I sense real frustration about this loss, which I now share.

So the satnav has gone back to Amazon and I will look at makers other than TomTom until the feature returns.

4.0 out of 5 stars Smart unit but not flawless, 25 May 2009
Lumpster (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have been looking at sat nav devices for a while ahead of doing some driving in Europe and opted for this model as it looked to offer what I was after - a bigger screen, European mapping, brand-new model and a price-point under £200. After a couple of weeks of use, I am pretty pleased with my purchase - it was easy to set up, is easy to use and it seems to give fairly clear instructions.

A couple of downsides, however:
1) I live on a main A road and yet I struggle to get any satellite signal at home
2) a new roundabout was added to a busy A road in York around 18 months ago but the sat nat doesn't recognise it and still shows the 'old' road layout
3) I updated all of my maps on-line (a long and torturous 4hr process despite a fast broadband connection) and still the new roundabout above has not been picked up
4) at times, some of the instructions are not clear (e.g. "turn right and do an immediate u-turn") which means that you rely on the unit 100% at your peril (but this is probably true of all sat navs)

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase and it's a case of 'so far, so good' but I'm interested to see how it will cope with European roads later this Summer.

4.0 out of 5 stars XL IQ Europe, 5 Jun 2009
Mr. K. Rutter - See all my reviews
A very simple and straight forward device to use, which is what you want when none technical people have to use it - kind of point and shoot. Like the Easyport feature big improvement over old cradles, have previous borrowed parents old TomTom One with old bracket and found it more awkward when removing and storing or taking out of the car. The new mount is very small in profile, but works very well. Like previous reviews, the maps aren't the most up to date, I've found new roads that are over 2 years old not on the system. The only real problem I had was with updating the map, which you can do for free within 1st 30 days. A big word of warning, before undertaking this make sure you back up your device onto your computer. I had massive issues with downloading the update. A previous reviewer mentioned 4 hours, mine took over 6 hours and then crashed, leaving my device with no map. (My broadband is reasonably fast and PC is too). The process had removed the old map, but hadn't installed the new one on the device, it was on the computer. After an hour of trying various methods of re-installing they all failed so I contacted TomTom support, they eventually came up with a solution which didn't quite work, but I found a different way that worked. They kept telling me that I should have backed up the device 1st and that the issue was down to my ISP, but I have no issues with other non-TomtTom downloads. All now operating fine, but for a few hours I did have a blank Sat Nav system! Personally I think they should include a quick start manual highlighting these sort of things instead of being tight fisted and relying on PDF guides.
Pro - simple and you know what you are getting with TomTom,Easy Port also good.
Negs - Not most up todate maps, long download time for map updates

Would recommend