5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for beginners and 'improvers' at chess
Published on 4 Mar 2012 by ethel-the-aardvark

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in parts but badly flawed
Published 19 months ago by Mushandin

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for beginners and 'improvers' at chess, 4 Mar 2012
This review is from: Chess For Dummies (Paperback)
One of the best books for adult beginners (it would be a bit heavy-going for younger children) and also for those who have learned the basics and want to improve their game. Unlike a lot of older chess books, it doesn't expect you to learn a lot of standard moves and accepted openings etc. Instead, it explains clearly the thinking behind the better moves so you learn a way of thinking which will improve your game far better than learning the standard openings etc by rote (even if you can - I don't have that kind of brain!). There are also annotated descriptions of some famous games and these are a really helpful way of learning. Like all the 'Dummies' books, this one has the odd joke and chatty moment, but don't let this put you off! Generally it's written very intelligently and accessibly. There are plenty of diagrams to explain things and these are really clear and helpful. There are also some interesting snippets of history etc - like a brief note of the three worst ever losers at chess and their stupid antics - but that's just for light relief. As a whole, this book is highly recommended. I've looked at several books (ancient and modern) since coming back to chess recently after many years of not playing at all. This book is exactly what I need and I can feel my game improving already. Excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book covers all the basics., 29 April 2012
Dave (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chess For Dummies (Paperback)
I bought this book to relearn how to play chess. This book covers all you need to know to get started from how the pieces move, openings, middle game and end game. The book is written in the classic for Dummies style which is clear and easy with a hint of humor. A very good book for beginners well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 7 Jun 2012
This review is from: Chess For Dummies (Paperback)
This is book is just great. Eade teaches you in a clear way aspects about the opening, middlegame and endgame. That is what I like about this book. I'm not a novice. I am around 1400 elo rating, and that isn't beginner. But I knew few things apart from movement of pieces, one opening and some exact endgames. Due to this book I now appreciate the importance of the opening, defenses and variations. It also gave me a better explanation of things I thought I knew but I didn't. I have read somewhere that someone thought the book was disorganised, without a logical order. But Eade says right away, that each Part is self-contained, meaning you can read one and understand it without reading the other ones. However, it is true that it won't be as easy as you think. It does get harder, and just because it is a dummies book, doesn't mean you won't deal with harder concepts. The important thing is to take your time. There is no need to rush, because if you do, you will probably feel bored, and without motivation you will not learn a single thing. After this book, I would suggest the book Studying Chess Made Easy by Andrew Soltis. If you want to improve as I am improving, read this book. Once you learn how to study, you will learn a lot more, and won't waste your time with ineffective learning methods.

I gave it 5 stars, but there is one thing I would like to point out. The information about where to play chess etc. is small and almost useless. People that like chess, know where to play it. So you'll be better off trying to find places to play on the internet than with this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in parts but badly flawed, 24 Sep 2012
This review is from: Chess For Dummies (Paperback)
This book is designed primarily for those totaly new to the game or those with the basics who want to improve. Having played for nearly 30 years (I learnt to play when I was 5) I like from time to time to go back to basics and review the foundations of chess. I have a number of the for dummies series and presumed this would be another excellent example. There are however a great number of problems. The way he describes the movement of the pieces can be confusing for the absolute beginner due to the shear number of jokes he has tried to ram in. You are following an instruction, then he tells you a joke and you forget where you were beforehand. I have tried this on a non player ho quickly gave it up as a bad job. Once you do learn the basic moves you get straight into the meat of the book. This is in my opinion another mistake. This is the time to learn how to read algebraic notation. It is not difficult but I do understand it is quite dry. That does not stop it been one of the most vital aspects of learning chess. Notation is used all through the book with a constant reference to check chapter 17 if you don't understand it. In my experience people often baulk at learning notation as it looks complicated he should have put this chapter straight after the movements to push people to learn it. A great deal of the later content is excellent. I especially reccomend the chapter on pattern recognition, this should be thoroughly studied. This book gets better after the early chapters and so I would not say this is for the absolute beginner. If you understand how the pieces work then this book has some useful information. One other negative point I feel I must make regards the sicilian defence. You learn the variations for this defence three chapters before you learn the defense itself. This for me sums up the entire book. The order is all wrong. It does have lots of useful information, but it needs a good editing and rearranging. There are much better books available than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good starter book for chess, 6 July 2013
This review is from: Chess For Dummies (Kindle Edition)
Easy to understand as are most of the "dummy" books.. Appeals to visual sense which I find easiest for learning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to refresh my skills, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Chess For Dummies (Paperback)
Great book with the complete A-Z style approach to learning or in my case re-learning the game again. Would highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good place for a rusty returning chess player to start, 26 Nov 2012
Richard Ellis (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chess For Dummies (Paperback)
I am returning to chess after a long absence, and needed a book to get me going again. It all depends on where you are, but starting from a low base I'm finding this very helpful. If you're already a club player it is too basic for you, but it does exactly what it sets out to do. Sections on opening, development, end games etc., and some good basic principles on strategies. Chess literature is vast, not to say overwhelming, and established players will not need this book. At the end there are very useful chapters on famous games and great players. The humour is a bit annoying at times, but really that's the only thing preventing me from giving it the full 5.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good intro to Chess, 28 Sep 2012
This review is from: Chess For Dummies (Paperback)
The book is easy to follow, with helpful ideas to improve the game of beginners. The only thing which bugs me was the excess of "cross-reference", as it seems that every paragraph the author wrote "if you don't know X, look chapter Y".

ARRAY(0xa3948cc0)