4.0 out of 5 stars Dead Island - A good zombie read
Dead Island is a decent book - I haven't played the game as of yet.
I thought the plot was good and kept the reader hooked, the book also leaved room for a sequel.
The characters were well developed if not a little too generic.
Published on 3 Oct. 2011 by hjacko

Published on 8 April 2013 by Aquaboy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Dead Island - A good zombie read, 3 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Dead Island (Paperback)
Dead Island is a decent book - I haven't played the game as of yet.
The characters were well developed if not a little too generic.
The only downside to this book is that the plot and writing are like so many other zombie books so not really anything different.

If you want a good zombie read, go for it.

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted more of an action-packed zombie-infested Dead Island world, 8 April 2013
This review is from: Dead Island (Paperback)
I thought I'd give this book a shot as I'm hugely enjoying the Dead Island game (apart from a glitch where it crashed and lost all my accumulated equipment, weapons, and money!). The story introduces the characters from the game with a little background info to build their worlds up ~ it actually uses the first three chapters to reach the point where you begin gameplay ~ and then it follows them through the narrative with references to recognisable parts of the game.

Unfortunately I feel that it neither adheres faithfully to the 'reality' of the game world, nor steps away enough to create a strong credible novel in its own right. As a game fan I was disappointed that most familiar places have changed in the transfer from game to book. For example the hotel is now right by a main shopping street, the stone-built church is now a dilapidated wooden structure, the geography is completely different, main characters have disappeared, and key game experiences have changed. I don't see why someone would defamiliarise the world like this when the setting is so key to feel of the game world. For me it felt like it was written by someone with a hint of experience of this game world but had nothing of any real depth, and it skims through the game scenario touching just enough to be an 'official' Dead Island tie-in novel. It does give some more depth to the characters, which is interesting, but there doesn't seem to be enough substance to the narrative or storyline. There's plenty of gore, as there is in the game, but not really a whole lot of zombies, and I felt that it lacked a real in-depth experience and certainly the feeling of suspense that Dead Island gameplay gives so generously.

I'm currently on chapter 19 of 24, and heading rapidly towards the end. I've gotten just past the point that I've reached in the game (or re-reached, after the annoying bug crashed and lost my saved level). I'm now not sure whether to read on for the sake of completing the book, and perhaps spoil the game in the process, or put it to one side and play on.

I bought this book hoping to extend my experience of the Dead Island world, which I think is amazing, but for me the book has so much less in it that I'd rather just fire up the xbox and explore new areas of the game as I feel that I'd get more out of it. At least I'd encounter plenty of zombies, and discover things I didn't know were on the island rather than simply ticking the boxes of storyline.

Overall I really wanted to like this book a lot after raving so much about the game, but I'm afraid that it just didn't do that much for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better., 30 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Dead Island (Paperback)
I picked this up, not from Amazon, but from Waterstones. However i'm going to provide my view on it in the hope that others may find it useful if they plan on buying this.

I've watched the game on youtube, and i know the plot of it from that, but i would never actually buy a game like this (while i can read about horror, actual scares are a bit too much for me!) I picked up the book hoping for a much more complex version of events i had seen in the game so i could properly get my head around the plot.

When i started the book, it kept me hooked. I found Zombie encounters to be well described, to the point where you can easily imagine very gory images of what you've just read. I managed to read all the way to the halfway point of the book in 1 sitting. To me this is praise because not many books have kept me that hooked in, however..

After the halfway point, the book seems to go a different way from the games plot. Characters in the last few chapters have their roles changed, and the actual ending is pretty short and blunt. After reading through the first half, this left me pretty disappointed.

Overall, the book is not awful if you are into this kind of literature, but if you are looking for it to be entirely faithful to the games events, you'll find this isn't the case.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good slice of survival horror, 18 Feb. 2012
G. Preston "gazhack" (Bolton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Island (Paperback)
I've been a fan Mark Morris' books for a while and I've enjoyed reading this novelisation a lot. He does wonders to disguise a series of game missions into something that feels like an organic story. I haven't played the game yet, because I've already got a pile of Xbox games to work through and some of the reviews have been less than kind, so I can't compare directly but as a zombie survival horror this novel certainly stands proud in an overcrowded sub-genre.

The characterisation is the strongest part, especially the two leading men, Sam and Logan who are both heroic but flawed in interesting ways. It's their reactions to the zombies that makes all the gore effective. Purna is a very admirable kick ass babe but possibly a bit too good to be true. The author does a good job in keeping finding new ways to describe zombies being clobbered and shot too. It's grim horror tale but it just stops short of becoming so relentlessly downbeat that it becomes hard work to read. Best sequence is possibly the exploration of a secret lab and uncovering the unpleasant devastation, then rescuing Yerema, the one surviving human. Well worth trying for genre fans or gamers hungry for more background to the game.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Buy for zombie and Dead Island fans!, 29 Dec. 2012
Daggerwin (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Island (Paperback)
What a fantastic book. I am not really into reading many books but I thought as a big fan of Dead Island it's worth a shot so I bought it and started reading it. Normally I find books fairly boring as I prefer to play video games but no, not with this one. It's gripping from the very beginning however I do feel you need to play the game through first to full understand it. Reading this book has changed my ideas about books and I find them a lot more interesting now. For people who are fans of Dead Island it is a must have because it goes into a lot more detail about the locations and characters etc so it can make the game even easier to understand it your struggling to follow the plot.
Now I just hope for a Dead Island: Riptide book for the upcoming sequel!

Great read, worth every penny. 5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 14 April 2013
This review is from: Dead Island (Paperback)
First off this book is amazing and if you loved the game you will love the book.its story is very similar but has a few noticable diffrences between the two. if you have never played the dead island games then i highly recommend you do so before or after reading the book but its not for everyone.You can obviously note this is a survival horror book so it has a pretty intense story exiting and very emotional i Hope u buy this book if you dont then its fine its entirely up to you but you will miss out on its sheer awesomeness どうもありがとう

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Linear with no real plot, 22 Sept. 2011
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dead Island (Paperback)
As a huge fan of zombies and bleak situations I was quite looking forward to this, especially after catching the game advert online. The book however fell more than a little flat as whilst the game had the fun of zombie splatting, the book was too linear, had no real surprises and the characters felt more 2D than anything else which left me little to care about other than hoping for a zombie feast to suddenly be provided.

The prose was slack, there was no real change of pace to allow the reader to have a breather (or not as the case may be) and to be honest I felt that it was probably something that would have been better to have been left at just the game as the written medium just didn't come off too well for this title. I'm not casting any aspersions upon Mark's writing here, just that with a book like this there was very little anyone could have done to turn out a decent product. Save your cash and if you have to read it, rent it from the library or wait for it to appear in a discount bookshop near you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the game, 17 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Dead Island (Paperback)
After playing the game and then reading this the Book was better than the game. The plot of the book really does keep you interested with it's great descriptions of the enviroments and characters. Though I like the way the characters are potrayed in the book more than the game for example Sinamoi, in the game he speaks fluent english where in the book he speaks broken english. Neverless it's a good read that will keep you wanting more.

5.0 out of 5 stars dead island review, 29 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Dead Island (Kindle Edition)
i think this book is really good, i've only read the sample on the kindle but i under stand the storyline prety well because i have played the game over and over again. this isn't much of a review, just what i think of it and i think it is worth reading if you are the type of reader that likes to plays the game or watch the film first.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm..., 21 Sept. 2011
Gin Berry (Wiltshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Island (Paperback)
To be fair this is a book based on a game, so really we can't expect too much. I suppose it depends on what you look for in Zombie fiction, but in this instance i can't see that the appeal would extend beyond a small group of teenage boys who REALLY love the game. The story is ok, though the initial meeting and behaviour of our main characters (read caricatures?)is rushed and farfetched, the outbreak of the disease is ok though lacking in description, and the subsequent events are annoying and poorly executed. I have to hold my hands up and admit that quite frankly, I was unable to finish it, hence my abbreviated review. If the last third of the book was an out and out masterpiece I apologise from the bottom of my heart and ask that this review be removed. But, if it carries on in a similar vein to the first two thirds, I stand by my opinion that this is a very sickly mange-ridden turkey.
Amazon did helpfully suggest I read The First Days by Rhiannon Frater which, if you skip past the opening pages unless you like your stories opened with a scene too grisly even for me, is far better executed and paced.
Happy reading!