4.0 out of 5 stars Fuss-free Vegan Fare?
This book is not a bad book, but some of the recipes require quite a bit of work in preparation. Many of them use "Chick'n Bouillon", which you have to make first, or "Seitan" which you have to make first, all of which can be done easily enough, but your final slow cooker meal was in fact, a 3 recipe affair.

It has opened my eyes to using my slow cooker for...
Published on 26 Oct 2011 by Mrs. C. Barlow

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed
Published on 18 Jan 2012 by Megs

4.0 out of 5 stars Fuss-free Vegan Fare?, 26 Oct 2011

It has opened my eyes to using my slow cooker for more than just stews and soups. There are breads, pizzas and even breakfasts included.

The book is nicely laid out and informative, but whether I'll ever be able to cook many of the recipes mid week is another issue, I'll have to wait for retirement, the holidays or weekends to find the time to do this book justice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, 18 Jan 2012
When I ordered this book I expected it to have recipes along the same lines as "Fresh from the vegetarian slow cooker" (great book by the way) unfortunately what I received was a book that was made up largely of recipes using mock-meats instead of whole foods such as beans and lentils. Almost every recipe calls for "vegan chicken flavoured bouillon" and many others call for chicken flavoured this or beef flavoured that, I understand that some vegans may want to eat food that mimics the taste of meat dishes but I do not. Also most of the specialty products listed in this book are not available where I live.
I suggest you save your money and if you want to make dishes that taste like meat just substitute meat for mock meat in omnivore recipe books.
Very disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Vegan Slow Cooker, 22 Oct 2012
L. Martin (Scotland UK) - See all my reviews
I definitely recommend this book as not only does it contain really helpful information about preparation of foods eg. soaking of beans.... there are recipes in here for how to produce a loaf of bread, bake a cake and bake potatoes !!! fabulous. Once you have got in to the routine of preparation, you can you pop in all of your ingredients, go off to work and come home to a fresh and delicious meal - all ready.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lazy slow comfort food, 2 Jun 2012
I have to admit, I loved this book before I even bought it. I thumbed through it on the shelf at Whole Foods and it is a gorgeous book, full of beautiful photos of great looking food, and plenty of recipes that sound a bit different.

Another confession - I don't actually own a slow cooker. But I bought this book just after I got a Le Creuset cast iron casserole pan as a gift, and I heard that as well as the obvious casseroles, stews etc you can pretty much use it like a slow cookers in the oven on low heat. So that's what we did all winter. Living in a small flat, having the oven on for a few hours got us nice and toasty so we didn't need to turn the central heating on, and the whole place filled with the smell of dinner.

This book is for anyone who's patient enough or busy enough that slow cooking is relevant to them. This is a great slow-cooking book, but slow-cooking itself is not for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars good but used it enough yet, 31 Jan 2012
Mrs. LH Scott Thompson (west yorkshire) - See all my reviews
i really like this book, io already cook my dried beans ina slow coooker as suggested and ive only made on erecipe as of yet which was mango black beans they were really delicous, i need to cook some more out of it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good book., 10 Mar 2014
A very good book for those who, like me, are starting to experiment with a slow cooker.
It has a lot of easy recipes, from appetizers to deserts. I've tried some of the recipes by now, all main dishes and casseroles, and they're really good!

5.0 out of 5 stars changed my mind, 1 Jan 2014
A. Barnes (London) - See all my reviews
I always thought vegans lived off scum from an odd fish tank....this recipe book and the slow cooking makes outstanding tasting food that even a fat carnivore like me thoroughly enjoyed...try it....what apart from a fatty heart and atherosclerosis do you have to lose???

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book for the energy saving vegan, 6 Feb 2012
Ms. A. C. Jones (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Fantastic book for the energy saving vegan or anyone wanting a sustaining supper Great recipies ideas and inspirations for unusual uses for the humble slow cooker. You'll be using it all day everyday!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chocolate Brownies in the Slow Cooker - you bet!!, 8 April 2012
Helen B (Cambridgeshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Well, I must admit I was sceptical about making 'baked' goods in a slow cooker but how wrong was I, the Chile (Chilli to us UK'ers) Chocolate Black Bean Brownies were amazing.

I have made several dishes now such as the Pumpkin and White Bean Lasagne which was served to meat eaters and they didn't notice, and the Perfectly Easy Everyday Brown Rice is a god send.

I agree with other reviewers that some of the recipes use Seitan but I make this myself and freeze it ready to use for this kind of cooking so this isn't an issue for me. Plus using a good quality vegan stock powder is an easy substitution for the stock/bouillon asked for in some recipes.