5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for a great city
This book is a real pleasure. It can be used for reference, or just to dip into. There are some differences between the story here and that from other sources, but I am not in a position to say who is right.
Published on 28 July 2003 by Jürg Müller

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle edition not easy to navigate
This is a wonderful encyclopedia but the kindle edtion is very difficult to navigate: the table of contents only gives you the letters of the alphabet so that you can go to A or B or C etc but then you have to very patiently turn the pages one by one until you get to say 'Eton'. For that you can either go to E and work your way forward, or to F and go backwards... Yes,...
Published on 21 Dec 2011 by Tout en chantant

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for a great city, 28 July 2003
One important point is that it is big and heavy, not really what I would describe as portable, and it is structured as a reference work. What I am saying is that this book is not a tourist/visitor guide, but really an encyclopaedia.
This book has given me many hours of fun, and much knowledge. I agree with the idea of making it compulsory that every taxi should have one. If you want to learn about London, then this is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful and enjoyable reference book, 19 Dec 2000
This is a wonderful reference book, and deserves its great success. Anyone wanting to know about a particular street or building will find the information they need here. The reviewer who says it contains many serious mistakes needs to give some examples. I have found it reliable and trustworthy, as well as enjoyable to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A much anticipated update does not disappoint, 13 Aug 2008
P. A. Alford "Moneygirl" (Fakenham, Norfolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
as a Londoner who bought the original edition back in the 80's, my original copy is well thumbed and has brought me many hours of pleasure exploring the origins and history of a great capital city.

This much anticipated third revision does not disappoint and if anyone wants to invest in a book about London that you can keep forever and return to it again and again and gain knowledge, information and pleasure then this is the one to invest in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Reference Book, 31 Aug 2006
P. M. Metcalfe "VinylJunkie" (London,England) - See all my reviews
It very big and heavy but a wonderful reference book.

I agree will other reviewers that some of the references sources may be dubious but dont let that spoil the enjoyment

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb reference book, 5 Dec 2010
This is a work without peer. I see that some people have included in their criticsms below that it's "too bulky", it "doesn't have enough photographs", "it's not a travel guide", "it's not ordered by geographical area". It's an ENCYCLOPAEDIA guys, and doesn't claim any of those things, and if "bulky" is a criticism, due to the massive amounts of interesting information it obtains, well... (its format is actually as compact as is reasonable, I would say, and frankly encylopaedia-sized).

Also there are a number of references below to errors, none of them substantiated - not one example is given. I've had the first edition since 1983, refer to it often, pride myself on my knowledge of my native city, and have yet to find ONE error - though I don't doubt there are inevitably some, given the scope of the project.

If you want what it says on the cover, and what is an absolutely definitive and fascinating reference to London and its history which can be dipped into again and again, all in one place rather than relying on myriad web searches, then this is it. Yes, we've all come to expect hyperlinks these days, but this is a book so you just have to follow the cross-references! And no, I'm not related to, or known to, the authors/compilers :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best just got better, 26 Aug 2008
Dilberto (Deepest Darkest Central London) - See all my reviews
The old 'Weinreb' was the best single-volume reference book on London, despite a few minor but still niggling errors. Happily most of these have been pulled out, the book's been expanded with more entries and even better illustration, and I had no hesitation whatever in grabbing a copy as soon as it went on sale. There's nothing to touch it, frankly: magnificent, endlessly fascinating, and outstanding value even before the discount. My 'Desert Island Discs' read, as indeed it's been for the last 25 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic resource, 15 July 2003
M. Bennett "mikebennett4" (London) - See all my reviews
I was amazed to find this book. It details lots of things about London that you didn't know you wanted to know!
Although I understand that not everyone can cope with London I find it a wonderful place to live. This book enhances the experience enabling one to find out trivial facts about places and areas of London. The one disadvantage is the inability to go back in time to look at how things would have been when you find some fascinating fact!

4.0 out of 5 stars Londoner, 9 Mar 2010
A great book giving well described details of nearly every aspect of the Greater London area. A well written section dealing with City of London Livery Companies and also up to date infoormation of the City Livery Club. An interesting section gives the origins of street names. I loved reading it and is a book which can be 'dipped' into.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Magnificent London Encyclopaedia, 6 Sep 2009
I have had a copy of all three editions of the London Enclopaedia since it first appeared in 1983. That first edition set the standard for any topographical encylopaedia. Anyone, whether they be professioal historian or general reader MUST have a copy of the Third Edition on their book shelves. The entries are concise but very informative. It is an indispensible work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Londoner should own one..., 29 Aug 2012
Mark Stipanovsky (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
It says on the back of this book, "If I had my way this book would be in every cab in London." London Cabbie News...

If I had my way, every Londoner would have one, it would be a standard text book for every London School and the fascinating information it contains would be taught at all levels.

London is such a beautiful city and yet most Londoners (myself included) rarely "holiday" in London.

I have spent the last couple of years learning the "Knowledge of London" as one of my current goals is to become a London Cabbie and this book has been a godsend.

Can't remember Marshalsea Rd for example - then look through the book and see if there is a reference - Marshalsea Prison was mentioned in Dicken's "Little Dorrit" (1856) and Dicken's father was actually imprisoned here. The prison's long gone - but for the "Knowledge" it helps create memories...

Interested in the finest street in London - once described as Westbourne Terrace - or Church Row, the most attractive street in Hampstead?

This is a book to dip in and out of - to look through before you set off on a London journey - and will keep you amused for hours.

The historical detail is brilliant, the illustrations are all in black and white and it's such a great book about London.

It has really enhanced my style of life as a Londoner and been really helpful in my studying.

I also imagine this would be a great resource for tour guides, estate agents, investment bankers, publicans - in fact anyone who "talks about London" as part of their job.

I have a hardback edition which is quite heavy and has about 1100 pages of which I have glanced over and stopped here and there - as and when something caught my attention.

I really recommend this book - would also make a great present for the Dad's and Granddad's out there...

Nice...