5.0 out of 5 stars PHABULOUS!!!!!!
I was sat in the audience during the recording of this show on the Sunday night and it was undoubtably the BEST show I've ever experienced. The Albert Hall looked stunning inside and out with a Phantom 25th flag hanging from the building and posters above the doors. Cameron Mackintosh's production was Phantastic, giving the Albert Hall a wonderful theatre feel to it. The...
Published on 5 Oct 2011 by Mr. J. P. Bath

2.0 out of 5 stars boaring
This felt like it went on for ever and a day, I got that board with it I turned it off,not what I expected Im gald I didn't trake to London to watch it, I gave it a two as some of the songs are good.
Published 10 months ago by summerskye

‹ Previous | 1 2 343 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Phabulous Phantom!, 20 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall [DVD] (DVD)
As a huge musical theatre fan, I had this pre-ordered pretty much as soon as it was announced, and I was not disappointed. The whole cast are brilliant - especially the three main leads, Ramin Karimloo, Sierra Boggess and Hadley Fraser. I must admit, when I'd come across Karimloo before I was a little underwhelmed, but his performance as the Phantom is full of lovely little touches that had me really feeling for his character.

The staging is very cleverly done. Obviously they couldn't directly transfer the huge beast that is Phantom unchanged from the West End to the Albert Hall, but the clever use of back screen projection provides a 'set' all of its own. The one distraction is the long distance people often have to go to make their exits and entrances, but given the space, there's nothing they could have done about it.

A must-see for any Phantom or musical theatre fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Phantom of the Opera at Royal Albert Hall, 2 Feb 2012
this is a wonderful show - I thoroughly enjoyed it. The atmosphere was brilliant and the bonus was you got the special guests at the end of the DVD - the whole experience was brilliant.

Would recommend it to all Andrew Lloyd Webber fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars a fabulous night in, 15 Jan 2012
with my two friends we watched Phantom of the Opera, it was absolutely amazing.... stunning, kept us spell bound throughout the evening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Version at a Bargain Price, 30 Dec 2011
Trev-R (Boston UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
For under £9 where can you get a blu-ray/DVD musical that offers so much as this one? This anniversary version is certainly special. All the cast are fantastic and at the top of their game. The production is absolutely the best. After watching the Metropolitan Opera's 2010 Carmen earlier today I can tell you that everything about this Phantom far out strips a production by the Worlds biggest opera company. The costume budget for this Phantom must be more than the total budget for the Met Carmen.

Everyone compares the current version (whatever it is) to the original MichaelCrawford/Sarah Brightman version and I can say that this production lives up to the original London 1986 one. Ramin Karimloo as the Phantom and Sierra Boggess as Christine are the equal to the originals. The best bit comes after the production is finished and Andrew Lloyd Webber comes onto the stage followed by the remaining members of the original London Cast, Sarah Brightman and Michael Crawford. We then have Sarah singing with 4 previous Phantoms with Karimloo joining in to make it five.

A fitting tribute to the finest musical of the past 30 years. And IMHO this version is much better than the film with Emmy Bossum and Gerard Butler.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb...what else can I say, 12 Dec 2011
Unlike many of the reviewers, I love the film version of Phantom, with the exception of the pathetically wet and wooden character of Raoul. So when the stage show was screened in the cinema, I went to see it, and of course had to order it when it came out on Bluray.

Everything about it is just stunning...the microphones annoyed me for about 30 seconds, but were quickly forgotten about in sheer enjoyment of the show. It's a revelation to see Hadley Fraser's portrayal of Raoul, finally a believable rival instead of a character who merely fades into the background compared to the other two leads. The rest of the cast in my opinion were also flawless, stunning voices and performances.

As others have said there is very little in the way of special features, but this doesn't concern me in the slightest as I rarely bother with them. I found the effects extremely impressive, as I did when seeing the show in the West End, and loved every minute of it.

A must-have, and great timing as I've also ordered the DVD version as a Christmas present.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Phantom Rocks!, 6 Dec 2011
Just watched the Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall DVD "Brilliant!" I'm a big fan of the original with Michael Crawford and I was so disappointed with that awful film version they made years ago. This Royal Albert Hall DVD makes up for that, Sarah Brightman sings at the end and Michael Crawford makes an appearance. The whole cast and staging was brilliant! Brilliant! Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this performance - and Blu Ray plays in USA!, 29 Nov 2011
Once I read that the Blu Ray was not region coded, I ordered it here in the USA - received it quickly, and I feel I have beaten the system, since there is still no release date for the US version - well, of course, I can't play the DVD here, but the international Blu Ray is just fine. I love this performance, with my favorite Phantom and Christine and their glorious voices. The sound is fabulous - with that amazing orchestra, this is the way Phantom is supposed to sound. The video is crystal clear, except for a few times when the video projection backgrounds seem to pixilate - well, you can't have everything - the lush restaging works, it really works, and this is a Phantom for the ages. And here I am sitting in NYC watching it, ahead of everyone else, AND for about $5 less (including postage) than the current posted amazon.com price! Can't beat it! I suggest every phan go for this one!

Added this after review published: Was able to reprogram my computer DVD to play region 2 DVDs! So although I can't play the bonus DVD on my TV, I have played it on my computer - great deal all around!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sumptuous and spectacular, 20 Nov 2011
Chris White (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Following last year's spectacular anniversary presentation of Les Misérables at the O2, Cameron Mackintosh now performs the same feat at the Royal Albert Hall for The Phantom of the Opera.

This time, he and Andrew Lloyd Webber have elected to stage an entire theatrical performance. The venue is therefore sumptuously transformed to provide a magnificent proscenium with clever deployment of large video screens acting as curtains.

From its grand pyrotechnical opening to emotional finale, the show is brilliantly directed and performed. Ramin Karimloo as the Phantom is a force of nature; Sierra Boggess and Hadley Fraser provide great support as the other principal players. The ensemble incudes some 130 performers.

The best is saved until the end: as happened in the Les Misérables concert, the original cast is invited on stage. Sarah Brightman leads four Phantoms (including Colm Wilkinson and John Owen-Jones, who were members of the Valjean Quartet at the O2) in a thrilling rendition of the title song with each of them in turn imploring her to "Sing for me!" as it reaches its crescendo. Ramin Karimloo then joins them for "The Music of the Night".

The sole bonus feature, a 17-minute featurette entitled Getting Past the Point of No Return, gives some idea of the hard work that went on behind the scenes. In particular, Karimloo's make-up had to become more elaborate to withstand scrutiny by the HD cameras.

The picture, as you might expect, is stunning and the colours on the bright costumes really pop. The sound is DTS-HD 5.1 but ensure you select it from the menu first; otherwise it will default to 2.0 stereo. As far as I can tell, the disc is region-free and there are English SDH subtitles.

This Blu-ray represents the next best thing to being there and I thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!, 17 Nov 2011
lizzie (north of north) - See all my reviews
I saw the show a few times over the past 25 years and was sooo disappointed with the film. THANK YOU to ALW and Cameron MacIntosh for bringing the stage show to BluRay!! It is wonderful. The performances were terrific, the music lush and I was impressed with the staging, considering what they couldn't do and how they got around it. I often forgot that I was watching a live performance, the film production was done so well. And because the pack has both BluRay and DVD I can play it on different machines in the house - a bonus! A must have for all Phantom fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a chance for Phans to enjoy the production, 20 Nov 2011
M. C. Whiting "cwhiting72" (NORFOLK) - See all my reviews
A marvellous production of Phantom. The music, the acting, the set and design. Not much to talk about as most watching will already know the production.

The cast are excellent with one of my favourtie singers, Ramin Karimloo, booming as the Phantom. I was in love with Michael Crawford's original interpretation but Ramin's voice puts the role into a different class. As good as Crawford is, this guys voice is perfection.

I watched the production at the cinema for the live streaming and was very impressed by Sierra Boggess. I would recommend judging her on the whole package as the CD sometimes makes her sound a bit off but when you watch it you realise why as there is so much emotion in her performance that she is crying through her lines. Again, I have never liked the voice of Sarah Brightman and it was always a turn-off for me when listening to the OST. Sierra is brilliant as Christine and really works well with Ramin and Hadley as her two suitors. The relationship with Ramin was also helped by their work together on Love Never Dies (which I saw them both in at the Adelphi Theatre), the disappointing West End sequel to Phantom only saved by the quality of these two performers.

Hadley Fraser probably impressed me most as I already knew what to expect from the two leads, having seen them impress in the roles before. I saw Fraser as Javert in Les Miserables at Queen's and he was the stand-out performer. There are some reviews which say it is 'Javert does Raoul' but I think the more assertive side of Hadley's characterisation actually works better for the role. In fact I am surprised that so few have done this with the role before. Raoul can be such a weak and wet character but Hadley really gives the Phantom a rival and this makes the dilemma all the more plausible for Christine. Great performance, and a great voice to boot.

The orchestra are massive starts in this as well with fine playing and huge power. There are certain disappointments in the production, although I admit the staging in the Royal Albert Hall gave restrictions. The biggest of these is that the chandelier doesn't crash down. I was waiting...and waiting..and waiting. All that happened was that they wired the chandelier with pyrotechnics and let them blast away at the end of Act I. Again, I am sure they were restricted but it is such an important moment in the show and is one of the enduring iconic moments for which it is remembered. There is also an excessive use of digital screens (again restrictions were there), which was what I didn't like in the staging of Love Never Dies.

The other main disappointment was with the lack of extras. The movie (a visual spectacle with poor vocalists) had amazing extras with the old music videos, making of and a documentary about the original producion lasting 60 minutes. All we have here is a short 15-minute backstage pass to the production. It's good, don't get me wrong, but they could have done so much more. There was a great programme about the show on Sky Arts, which I think could have been included on the Blu-Ray disc at the very least given the space on them.

Having said all this, the sheer scale and joy of the music is enough to warrant this 5-stars. You must watch this if it is the last thing you do.

Anywhere you go, this should go too!

‹ Previous | 1 2 343 | Next ›