5.0 out of 5 stars Simple. Speedy.
This is a great and inexpensive device to boost your file transfer rates.

Two important things:

1. It doesn't come with a molex splitter as some past reviews state, the product name and description now reflect that change.

2. The newest version, being sold now, *doesn't require* an additional power supply to give full USB3 speeds and power...
Published on 20 Sept. 2011 by Gaxxian

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but you need to be a bit savvy to get this working right
Card arrived promptly and well packaged. Be careful when cutting the tough retail packaging that you don't damage the mini CD hidden within -you'll need this to get started!

The card is quite dainty and fits nicely into your PCI Express slot (the tiny white one). It's a high profile card with a height of 4.2 inches; so don't buy this if you've got a...
Published on 21 Sept. 2012 by I. L. Atkin

‹ Previous | 1 2 363 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job perfectly!, 3 Aug. 2011
Product is ideal for a PC with a spare PCI express slot needing any USB 3.0 ports. Although the true speed of USB 3.0 is nowhere near the 10x faster claims of many manufacturers over USB 2.0, it is still about three times quicker than USB 2.0, which is still quite pleasing on the whole.

As for TeckNet's customer service, very good, because my item didn't arrive initially, so I contacted the company and they sent me a new one, which I received within a few days, pleasingly.

Product and company recommended, therefore.

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs power from a Dell computer - Revised, 25 May 2013
This review is from: TeckNet® USB 3.0 4 Ports PCI Express Interface USB 3.0 Expansion Card With 5V 4-Pin Power Connector for Desktops, 24 Month UK Warranty (Electronics)
I have tried several times to load this card in different slots, the computer recognises the card, but when you try and load the software provided it says the card is not present, when you check, the card is listed in the port plugged in - Strange, but I think it is that Dell are different. I was thinking it ws because no power was connected, but there are no spare 4 pin molex in the PC only 5 pin plugs. Waste of money, but nice try to upgrade my 18month old machine to usb3, will continue to use usb2 on the machine.

Got more info from google about removing and trying again, but still not working, I am on a Dell xps 8300, and lots of dell users have difficulty, so it may be a Dell issue?

Update - I did finally search the web, and found that although some computers recognise and operate the VLA chip, Dell and a few others require the power to be connected for the PC to "configure it", I think it is a motherboard issue. Took it to a computer shop, and they had a 15 pin sata to molex adapter, turned it on and everything automatically loaded and worked straight away

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware power connector polarity!, 27 July 2013
The card seems to work well. I got 122MB/s transfer rate from an external hard disk.

Now the bad news: The polarising corners on the 4-way power connector are nowhere near large enough to prevent the connector being plugged in the wrong way. I foolishly assumed that the way the connector could go in was the right way, but it was in backwards so it apparently put 12 volts out on the USB cable instead of 5 volts!

By some miracle this didn't blow up the card itself or either of my expensive external hard drives, presumably because they don't use the USB cable for power, but it did wreck a 32GB memory stick and two memory card readers before I found out the problem. I don't know yet whether it also wrecked my two memory cards as I no longer have a working card reader.

This £12 card has already cost me the best part of £100 to replace blown parts.

So be warned: be VERY careful about which way around you connect the power, and if you have a way to check the voltage on the USB cable before plugging in anything important I suggest you do so.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bargain but installation can be tricky, 9 Mar. 2012
C. E. Carter "Christopher" (sheffield UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased this in order to use a Western Digital external drive with USB 3. Backing up modern hard drives takes a very long time so the extra speed is very welcome. However, in my case with a 64 bit Windows 7 system installation did not go smoothly and if it does not work then you are rather on your own. I got the baffling error message "error code 2739 cannot access Javascript runtime for custom action." Neither Microsoft nor Renesas support proved very helpful. I did find a more up-to-date driver from Renesas but got the same error message. Eventually I found a solution to my problem here:
[...].
I think that my computer system must have been at fault, so maybe the problem is unique to me, but it did take a long time to sort out. Also the verifying driver installation instructions in the leaflet are wrong. Look for a Renesas driver not a NEC. If you have a graphics card it may be worth checking that this card will physically fit because, on my motherboard at least, one of the two special slots for the card was overshadowed by the graphics card.

2.0 out of 5 stars Drivers need sorting out, 27 Aug. 2013
Richard Cox (Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The card comes with a little CD on which are drivers for lots of different products, not just this one. The card wont work at the fast speed without installing the right driver, but there are no instructions to tell you which one. I tried a few without success for Windows 7 64bit, which is my setup. So I contacted the seller to ask for guidance. they said:
"I can understand your concern that you have difficulties in using the card you purchased as you didn't know which driver to use.
Unfortunately, we are unable to provide technical support regarding this item. However, there is no need to be any concern in this regards , you can visit the manufacturer's website or contact them directly, as they may be able to offer troubleshooting and support with the issue you have with the product."
Unfortunately they couldn't. The link is just to the UK importers, who don't have any technical support or downloads section.
I am fairly tech savvy but am still working on a solution. You may have better luck. Or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to fit, transfer speeds of 85mb/sec compared to 35 with usb2, 4 Jun. 2012
I have a dell xps8300 desktop which lacks usb3 ports and i am often transferring 5-20gb files onto a portable usb3 capable drive. This card was simple to insert into one of the empty spaces and the driver supplied on the cd worked with windows 7 64bit. Booting into ubuntu linux 12.04 64bit i didn't need to use the driver cd as it was recognized straight away. I get transfer speeds of 85mb/sec which is much faster than 35mb/sec with usb2.

Also to compare - i have a dell xps15z laptop which comes with usb3 ports - they acheive an identical speed of about 85mb/sec when transferring the same files to the same protable drive. Thus the speed of this pciexpress card is comparable to native usb ports. Apparently usb3 could transfer faster but in reality its probably the read/write speed of the harddrive which limits it.

Overall, for the money it is fantastic to add two more super speed usb ports to my desktop.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work with Linux, 16 Sept. 2013
Despite the bullet point on the VIA website "Support various Linux kernels", this does not work in Linux (tested with Ubuntu 12.04's default kernel and the latest kernel). If you search for this you'll find a number of complaints that it doesn't work in Linux, with crashes and hangs a result. The Ubuntu page recommends you instead buy a USB 3.0 card based on the "NEC USB 3.0 chipset".

1.0 out of 5 stars Be careful, this can affect your PC, 21 Jun. 2012
G. Mackey - See all my reviews
Firstly, the item that I received was not the same as the one I ordered: I asked for a 2-port card as per the photo, but received a 4-port card. Installation was speedy, I had the Molex splitter already fitted to my PC, so it only took 5 minutes to fit.

I installed the driver as described in the instructions & that should have been it: ready to go. I fitted a blue USB3 extension cable, plus a standard USB2 extension cable & tried to transfer files to my GoFlex USB3 external hard drive. What happened next was worrying: at first the files started to copy, but at around 20MB/sec, which was slower than the standard USB2 transfer rate to this drive; normally around 27MB/sec. Then the card stopped working & uninstalled itself. Next, my PC froze & would not shut down, so it had to be unplugged, which is a no-no! I removed the USB3 blue cable & plugged my devices directly into the card, effectively eliminating any compatibility problems. Later, I found the blue USB3 cable to be faulty as well, so it was a good move to take it out of the equation. Unfortunately, the card still uninstalled itself & froze my PC.

I removed & re-installed the card into another PCI slot, having carried out a system image restore on my PC to make sure there weren't any residual files that could corrupt the new installation. Exactly the same things happened; even trying different leads & external devices gave the same results. I carried out SEVEN system image restores in one day, & even checked the voltage levels within the PC to make sure they were OK, which they all were. I contacted the vendor, who was very helpful & I sent the card back for a refund. I refused to accept another Tecknet card as I had no confidence at all in the product.

I have since fitted an Octigen USB 3.0 PCI Express Card, which is 2-port, gives a transfer rate of around 50-70MB/sec & worked straight out of the box. It cost £12.59 & is well worth the money. I can't fault it: it even works with my Archos 5 internet tablet, which is the most fickle device I own!

1.0 out of 5 stars No driver, 28 Oct. 2013
This card looks ok but the disk does not seem to have a driver so I'm stuck with a useless card. I tried emailing the importer but they have not replied.they claim to reply in 12 hours. I searched for a driver and it seems that others have the same problems. Its a pity that a simple purchase causes so much hassle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easier to fit than I thought and tripled the speed of my hard disk access, 8 Jan. 2012
A. N. Ward "Andy" (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I was a bit unsure about whether this would work on my 6 year old Dell desktop but for only £9 I thought I would try it. It worked perfectly. It was very easy to fit, didn't need an external molex cable, and within 10 minutes my hard drive was connected to it.

I tested my external hard disk over over USB2 and the new USB3 connection with a large 3GB file being read from the external hard disk. Over USB2 I was getting speeds around 38-40 MB/sec. On USB this almost tripled to 115MB/sec consistently. Whether this is the limit of my hard disk as opposed to the connection I don't know but for £8 you couldn't ask for more!

Config details
Dell XPS Dimension 9200 (about six years old)
Windows 7 (64 bit)