5.0 out of 5 stars Simple. Speedy.
This is a great and inexpensive device to boost your file transfer rates.

Two important things:

1. It doesn't come with a molex splitter as some past reviews state, the product name and description now reflect that change.

Published on 20 Sept. 2011 by Gaxxian

Card arrived promptly and well packaged. Be careful when cutting the tough retail packaging that you don't damage the mini CD hidden within -you'll need this to get started!

Published on 21 Sept. 2012 by I. L. Atkin

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but you need to be a bit savvy to get this working right, 21 Sept. 2012
I. L. Atkin (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews

The card is quite dainty and fits nicely into your PCI Express slot (the tiny white one). It's a high profile card with a height of 4.2 inches; so don't buy this if you've got a low-profile case. Remember to fit the card with your PC turned off and all power cables removed.

Now there are two aspects of this card which I thought are worth comment; the drivers and the molex power connector on the card.

First, the molex connector. This is the white 4-pin power connector on the side of the card. This needs to be fed from one of the 12v molex cables coming from your PC power supply (which you've already got feeding your DVD drive and hard disks). Some report here that this card works fine without feeding it extra power, and others say it doesn't. My vote on this is that if you want to maintain USB 3 device performance you MUST power the card with a molex cable. To illustrate, when I provide extra power through the molex connector, my Kingston HyperX drive gives a sustained throughput of 135MB/s. If I turn off the computer, remove the molex plug and reboot, the performance goes haywire, surging randomly from anything between 5 and 135MB/s. So whilst the card works without extra power, it obviously struggles.

Next -the drivers. I recommend you upgrade these as soon as possible from the internet. This will prevent the spontaneous disconnection issue that some have reported. Downloading the latest drivers though isn't trivial as the tecknetonline.co.uk website doesn't provide them. As this card hosts the NEC/Renesas Controller chip you can get the drivers from Intel directly by googling "USB 3.0: Renesas Electronics* USB 3.0 Driver". I upgraded to version 2.1.28.0 and on my Windows 7 machine I am happy to report no problems.

In summary, this card isn't exactly plug'n'play. It's plug in, ferret around with your PC wiring, scrounge a molex cable, hunt for drivers on the internet, and then, finally, you can play. On the positive side though, once it's up and running it's perfectly good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple. Speedy., 20 Sept. 2011
This is a great and inexpensive device to boost your file transfer rates.

Two important things:

2. The newest version, being sold now, *doesn't require* an additional power supply to give full USB3 speeds and power - which is why the molex splitter is no longer included.

This is a very cost effective way to boost the speed of file transfers to and from external drives. A USB 3 capable portable drive I have transfers a 700MB file from it through USB2 at around 35 MB/s. Using USB3 via this card it transferred at a speed of around 100 MB/s. The marketing guff around USB saying 10 times the speed is exactly that: guff, but it performs appreciably faster than version 2 and can save sometimes valuable time.

Microsoft is still behing the curve and doesn't include USB 3 drivers in Windows 7 or via Windows Update (that may change) so you have to install driver software to make the card functional. Interestingly (and uniquely) the mini-CD that came with my card included a driver version NEWER than the one availbale on the internet (at a site the manual gives the link to).

The driver installed flawlessly and without hitch.

For only £9 for this card, which you now only have to plug straight into a PCI express slot to triple or quadruple your speeds (using USB3 devices) it's a no-brainer.

(Thanks to TeckNet for promptly addressing the matter of the splitter and the reviews that mentioned it, the same day I brought it to their attention.)

5.0 out of 5 stars OK with Linux, 15 Aug. 2013
Eddie-B (London, England) - See all my reviews
I've just received this board today and plugged it in to my 2007 vintage Gigabyte Motherboard. Note that the version I received did not come with a molex connection but a SATA style power connector. I connected a USB3 Seagate 2TB external harddisk to it and booted up.
Now I'm a Linux user and tried the card with Ubuntu 12.04LTS, Mint LMDE, Debian 6 (yeah, I know it's old but I like it) and Mint 15 - Mate edition and found that the disk was recognised and available straight away - no problems at all - no drivers required - no command line stuff - nothing - it just worked.
I also tried it with Windows 7 which did not recognise it straight away but went online to get the necessary drivers and failed. However I put the supplied CD in the PC and accessed the drivers as described on the single sheet instructions and this got it working OK.
I see in the other reviews that some find this card slow when using Linux. It's early days for me to comment, but I'll come back and edit this review when I've used the card with both Linux and Windows.
5 stars awarded as it worked as expected and means I can use USB3 peripherals with my ageing PC.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so easy, 25 May 2011
Lets get to the point, I am not sufficiently knowledgeable to write this item's first review and quote technical stuff, not with any meaning or without copying from the items description anyway, but what I can tell you is what arrived and whether it works.
I received a 2 x socket USB 3.0 card as described, a PSU link cable which provides power from the PSU to the card but is a double so you lose nothing, and a driver CD (home made as far as I can tell).

I can also tell you that installing was extremely easy and there were some pretty decent written instructions in the box also.

The USB 3.0 sockets work and I wrote some files to my external drive at speeds of up to 43 Kb/s before I stopped the test, this compares with about 8 to my USB 2.0 so the new USB is definitely quicker.

I have a Medion PC which is about 3 years old if that makes any difference (some reviews of other products said different ages of PC's will make a difference) I had a spare PCI express slot on the mother board so it all went swimmingly.

Oh and the price was low to boot so I am happy indeed.

4.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't get much simpler, 7 Dec. 2011
I purchased this USB 3.0 card on the strength of the reviews here, for that reason I thought I'd add mine.

It's a very small card which is no bad thing but I also have a double slot PCI express graphics card which on my particular mainboard (ASUS M4A79XTD EVO) means this card sits right at the side of a much bigger card. No problem though, just a little fiddly with the extra power cable which I connected before seating this card. After that setup was effortless, drivers install without fuss on windows 7 and the card is up and running.

I have a Seagate goflex 2TB external drive and really wanted something to boost the transfer speeds which were struggling to sustain 28MB/s on the mainboard USB2.0 connection. After installing this card I ran a test transfer and immediately noticed the 28MB/s had jumped to around 32MB/s (sustained) while still using USB2.0 so what this card is doing that the mainboards USB2.0 controller isn't I don't know.

To utilise this USB card I then bought a Seagate USB3.0 dock for my go flex Hard Disk Drives and this is where the card shines. Transfer speeds are quite volatile due to the nature of the files being copied and the system overheads required as well as any file fragmentation on the source drive. My results with USB3.0 when copying from a 7200rpm HDD source saw transfer speeds jump to around 48-52 MB/s when copying very large contiguous files. These speeds were even better from a SSD (SATA150) source which for me resulted in solid 54-58 MB/s transfer speeds for most large files.

I suspect the USB3.0 transfer speeds I'm seeing now are indicating the limits of the external/internal drives and system overheads, hopefully the USB3.0 bus itself is no longer the bottleneck. The strange thing is that copying these files back (as a test) from the external drive to the source drive resulted in much lower transfer rates (~36MB/s) so that's a bit odd, I can only assume it's fragmentation or overheads causing that.

If I have to pick a fault with the card it's a minor one. The two USB sockets on the card sit slightly proud of the blanking plate, this means you need to be able to see the socket and plug the cable in precisely. Can't just fish around the back with a cable trying to locate the USB slot.

Excellent product though at a very reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and Works, but take note:, 10 Feb. 2013
Only installed after I got the latest driver from download website, quoted in the user manual. The XP driver on the installation CD did not work for me, but as it was easy enough to download a working driver, I can't complain.

To qualify other comments on power cables: The manual does says you need a power cable, but it's slightly ambiguous; I think they mean you need a cable only if you want to provide more than a certain amount of current (It should quote the limit, really). In practice, I got away without a power cable when using a Buffalo Ministation 3.0 external HDD. As soon as I connected a 2nd device however, the PC locked-up. With a SATA power lead connected internally, it worked OK. So best check inside your PC first & buy a power lead while you're at it.

On performance: My old PC only has Rev1 PCIe slots (this card is rev2), so I can't get full USB3 speeds anyway; Even so, my tests showed 50% improvement in backup times over USB2. Expect better (maybe 100% improvement) with a Rev2 PCIe motherboard. But face it, you'll never get 10x the speed of USB2, due to the HDD access speeds.

For the price, it's well worth having the 2 extra, faster USB ports.

UPDATE: photo has been updated to show the correct power inlet connector, i.e. SATA (it was showing a Molex). So top marks now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job perfectly!, 3 Aug. 2011
Product is ideal for a PC with a spare PCI express slot needing any USB 3.0 ports. Although the true speed of USB 3.0 is nowhere near the 10x faster claims of many manufacturers over USB 2.0, it is still about three times quicker than USB 2.0, which is still quite pleasing on the whole.

As for TeckNet's customer service, very good, because my item didn't arrive initially, so I contacted the company and they sent me a new one, which I received within a few days, pleasingly.

Product and company recommended, therefore.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bargain but installation can be tricky, 9 Mar. 2012
C. E. Carter "Christopher" (sheffield UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased this in order to use a Western Digital external drive with USB 3. Backing up modern hard drives takes a very long time so the extra speed is very welcome. However, in my case with a 64 bit Windows 7 system installation did not go smoothly and if it does not work then you are rather on your own. I got the baffling error message "error code 2739 cannot access Javascript runtime for custom action." Neither Microsoft nor Renesas support proved very helpful. I did find a more up-to-date driver from Renesas but got the same error message. Eventually I found a solution to my problem here:
[...].
I think that my computer system must have been at fault, so maybe the problem is unique to me, but it did take a long time to sort out. Also the verifying driver installation instructions in the leaflet are wrong. Look for a Renesas driver not a NEC. If you have a graphics card it may be worth checking that this card will physically fit because, on my motherboard at least, one of the two special slots for the card was overshadowed by the graphics card.

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to fit, transfer speeds of 85mb/sec compared to 35 with usb2, 4 Jun. 2012
I have a dell xps8300 desktop which lacks usb3 ports and i am often transferring 5-20gb files onto a portable usb3 capable drive. This card was simple to insert into one of the empty spaces and the driver supplied on the cd worked with windows 7 64bit. Booting into ubuntu linux 12.04 64bit i didn't need to use the driver cd as it was recognized straight away. I get transfer speeds of 85mb/sec which is much faster than 35mb/sec with usb2.

Also to compare - i have a dell xps15z laptop which comes with usb3 ports - they acheive an identical speed of about 85mb/sec when transferring the same files to the same protable drive. Thus the speed of this pciexpress card is comparable to native usb ports. Apparently usb3 could transfer faster but in reality its probably the read/write speed of the harddrive which limits it.

Overall, for the money it is fantastic to add two more super speed usb ports to my desktop.

1.0 out of 5 stars Be careful, this can affect your PC, 21 Jun. 2012
G. Mackey - See all my reviews
Firstly, the item that I received was not the same as the one I ordered: I asked for a 2-port card as per the photo, but received a 4-port card. Installation was speedy, I had the Molex splitter already fitted to my PC, so it only took 5 minutes to fit.

I installed the driver as described in the instructions & that should have been it: ready to go. I fitted a blue USB3 extension cable, plus a standard USB2 extension cable & tried to transfer files to my GoFlex USB3 external hard drive. What happened next was worrying: at first the files started to copy, but at around 20MB/sec, which was slower than the standard USB2 transfer rate to this drive; normally around 27MB/sec. Then the card stopped working & uninstalled itself. Next, my PC froze & would not shut down, so it had to be unplugged, which is a no-no! I removed the USB3 blue cable & plugged my devices directly into the card, effectively eliminating any compatibility problems. Later, I found the blue USB3 cable to be faulty as well, so it was a good move to take it out of the equation. Unfortunately, the card still uninstalled itself & froze my PC.

I removed & re-installed the card into another PCI slot, having carried out a system image restore on my PC to make sure there weren't any residual files that could corrupt the new installation. Exactly the same things happened; even trying different leads & external devices gave the same results. I carried out SEVEN system image restores in one day, & even checked the voltage levels within the PC to make sure they were OK, which they all were. I contacted the vendor, who was very helpful & I sent the card back for a refund. I refused to accept another Tecknet card as I had no confidence at all in the product.

I have since fitted an Octigen USB 3.0 PCI Express Card, which is 2-port, gives a transfer rate of around 50-70MB/sec & worked straight out of the box. It cost £12.59 & is well worth the money. I can't fault it: it even works with my Archos 5 internet tablet, which is the most fickle device I own!