on 6 March 2012
Upgraded my trusty FZ38 to this fantastic FZ150 camera a few days ago and have spent a couple of days just blasting away taking mainly landscape images to check-out the various functions and general operation of this camera. The results are beyond my expectations and compare favourably with with those images taken with my Canon 600D DSLR costing far more!

I've taken some 400 RAW + Fine quality images, some using the built-in Flash along with several minutes of video, and the battery continues to show near "Full". The camera handles well in my right hand and easy to hold steady. I have managed to inadvertently select the "Playback" mode on a couple of occasions as the button is located very near to my thumb resting position!

I've also struggled to make sensible use of the "Thumb wheel" as it is difficult for me to rotate whilst holding the camera to take a shot. Meanwhile, throughout the telephoto zoom range, which operates easily and very smoothly, camera shake has not been at all noticeable thanks to the camera's excellent Power O.I.S.

I've spent hours reviewing the images on my 24 inch PC monitor and I'm truly impressed with the very high quality of all of the images in both RAW and JPG formats. Little care care was taken by me whilst shooting and the camera seem to cope admirably with all that asked of it in both "iA" and "P" modes. I deliberately took some images at higher ISO values in dusk light conditions and again it seems Panasonic have got it right with this model as the images where void of any serious noise issues and the resulting images where again excellent.

Shooting in "Burst" mode is brilliant with Automating Focus tracking doing it's bit very accurately at the lower burst speed options. Selecting the various Creative modes certainly modifies the JPG image as described, and the RAW image remains as captured to be edited later using a PC if required.

Pros:
Good lightweight construction.
Good handling and easy operation.
Superb 24x Telephoto lens.
Excellent lens stability system.
Sensible layout of most function buttons etc.
Excellent Image and Video Quality - near DSLR Quality!
Low noise high ISO images.
Lots of Creative modes
Easy "Quick" menu operation.
RAW Image recording.
Fast and accurate focusing.
Automatic metering caters well in most light situations.
Movable 3 inch LCD screen.
DSLR like control of Aperture and Shutter Speed
Manual Focus mode
Video recording is easy.
Very fast Burst speed options.
Long battery life.
Hot Shoe fitted.

Cons:
Playback Mode button located too near thumb rest position.
Thumb-wheel feels very stiff.
EVF Viewfinder small.
Microphone picks up wind noise.
No hard copy instruction manual.
Cost - Expensive, but money well spent!

Conclusion:

If you are looking for a easy to use practical yet versatile good all-round use camera which will provide you excellent quality images under most light conditions, then look no further - The Panasonic DMC-FZ150 will certainly not disappoint.
review image review image
44 comments|101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 December 2011
I am quite a Panasonic fan having had an FZ50 for several years. I was quite happy with the camera but the limitations were poor performance at the highest ISO settings, a rather small fold out screen, relatively heavy though nothing like as heavy as a digital SLR and a moderate resoluton video mode. In all other respects I found it an excellent camera with enormous versatility all in one package.

The FZ150, which I have now owned for 2 months, and during that time taken several thousand photos, is EXCELLENT with several notable improvements. It is lighter and more compact than the FZ50, which makes it even more attractive compared with digital SLRs. The focal length range is awesome - equivalent to 24-600mm. The fold out screen, which I find very useful for low level shots, pictures of church ceilings with the camera sitting on the floor, shots above people's heads is excellent with a large screen and full articulation. The HD video mode also works very well - I like to use this for panoramas from the top of mountains. The better high ISO performance is very satisfactory - better than my friend's Pentax digital SLR! The only complaint that I have is with the zoom, which is now motor driven. It works well but manual zoom, in my experience, is faster, more precise and means there is one less thing that can go wrong. This is undoubtedly the best camera that I have ever owned! To have so much versatility in one package with everything instantly available is wonderful. I bought mine from UK Digital Cameras at £380.
22 comments|79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 November 2011
I tried the FZ45 and sent it back because of the noise. But the FZ150 is much better. I have used the FZ8 and the FZ28 for some years for stills photography and have been very pleased with the results, and was attracted to the improved functionality of the FZ150. The jog dial is much more convenient than the old toggle, although it is a little stiff to the touch, and has a raised bump just underneath it which makes it a bit tricky to get a purchase - not nearly as good as the wheel on the G2 - why would that be? Also, I am extremely happy with the fact that the playback mode now switches to shoot mode when you half press the shutter - just would have been even better with the screen to viewfinder eye sensor switch like the G2. I love the flip screen - even though it's not a touchscreen like the G2. I can do most of the things I need to do on this camera that I can do on my Nikon D300, and without having to go into deep menus.
It's noticeably heavier than the FZ28. I could dangle the FZ28 from my fingertips without really noticing it was there - the FZ150 is 20% heavier and I do notice it. I didn't need the extra zoom - 18x was plenty - this is 24x.
Manual focus is a little awkward still, but practise will help - and to be honest I hardly ever use it on this camera as the autofocus is really fast and accurate. The two speed zooming is very smooth - none of the jerkiness of the FZ28, and I also really like the zoom switch on the side of the lens.
My biggest gripe is that there is no full paper manual. Trying to scroll down a pdf on my phone when out taking photos is really slow and irritating.
I shoot in raw, and process using Lightroom and Photoshop. This camera is supported by Lightroom 3 but not by CS4 (ACR 5.7). You can get round this by converting Raw files to DNG on import. Any version of ACR should recognise this format.
Afraid this review sounds a bit on the negative side - not my intention. I think I'm picking out the few gripes just because overall it is such an absolutely super little camera. I took it away for the weekend when - on holiday - I didn't want to be carrying all the heavy Nikon gear around or having to change lenses. I was shooting in quite difficult, high contrast light conditions and it coped really well. I think the problem is that I also have the gorgeous G2 - otherwise I would be ecstatic! But to cover the range that this camera covers with the G2 would mean spending a lot more money, and the best camera is sometimes the one that goes from wide to telephoto in seconds and is light enough to hang over your shoulder for a whole day's walking.
66 comments|118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 July 2012
This is one of the best bridge cameras with Full HD video recording (1080p/50) and the option to connect an external microphone for much improved sound recording. It is cheaper and more compact than an equivalent DSLR but note that the sensor is smaller.

Be aware that a new model, the FZ200, was released in late 2012. The main improvement is wider aperture (f2.8) throughout zoom range, also better EVF. There are detailed reviews and samples of both models at the respected dpreview.com website.

Update: the FZ200 is out now but costs around £100 more so it is more an addition to the range than a direct replacement as I had expected. It has a higher resolution viewfinder (not screen) and more options for high speed/slo-mo video. It is fractionally larger and heavier with a bigger battery (giving longer battery life). Compare the specs side by side at Panasonic's panasonic.net website (click on Select and Compare).

The FZ200 is here: Panasonic Lumix FZ200 Bridge Camera - Black (12MP, 24x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD but the FZ150 is still available and remains a very good camera especially if you don't wish to spend the extra £100.

Top Tip: pop up the flash in video mode to reduce camera noise from zoom or buttons; this also helps to reduce wind noise in light breezes. In windier conditions you'll need an external mic - available from about £20 they come with a wind sock. See also comment 2 about a Windcutter - I have now tried one and it is a big improvement when recording outdoors in anything from a light breeze to quite windy conditions so I would highly recommend one. Note you may well need an adapter or cable to convert from standard 3.5mm to 2.5mm, they cost £1 or so on a well known auction site where you can also pick up a mini-hdmi to hdmi cable (not supplied) for a couple of pounds to connect to your HD TV. Panasonic recommends its own accessories but they are expensive.

A note on video formats: MP4 is recommended for use on a PC but looks flickery on TV. AVCHD/50p looks best on TV but you need a powerful PC just to play it on a PC never mind edit it. My average laptop will play AVCHD/50i but there is a slight reduction in quality compared with 50p so experiment with the different formats to see what works best for you.

Criticisms: the flash modes are buried away in the main menu and you can't add them to the function button. They can however be accessed via the "quick menu" button which doubles as the delete button in review mode.
Also I would prefer to use the main shutter button for shooting video with a separate mode on the main dial - I find the separate video button a little awkward to use.
As others have said the lens cap is a little fiddly and the rear dial a little stiff. The lens hood is also stiff but can be reversed and you can still use the camera (except manual focusing controls).

All in all an excellent camera and a DSLR with equivalent zoom range and features would cost a lot more. Buy a UV filter (52mm) to protect the lens and a polarising filter - both are cheaply available as are a variety of carrying cases. At under £300 this camera is excellent value for money.
on 8 December 2011
I received this 5 days ago and am so pleased with it.
It is mega fast, the 5 frames per second speed with autofocus is amazing.
I have a Transcend 8GB SDHC Class 10 Memory Card which works really well with it. I think 8 gb is enough if you take mostly photos and should also be enough for small videos.
One reservation I had was to do with the legendary panasonic noise on the small sensor cameras. The noise level on this camera as opposed to the older FZ100 is much less - in fact hardly noticeable up to 200 iso, and I am fussy. Recommended.
on 23 February 2012
I agonised for ages about a replacement for my aging Lumix compact.
I couldn't face lugging around an SLR and most of the 'pro' compacts cost an arm and a leg.
In the end I plumped for the FZ150 and I am so glad I did.
It really is a superb and versatile camera and it's not too bulky to take out.

Really there is nothing to fault. Price and features are all excellent and to get the same array of features on an SLR or compact system would cost a fortune and result in a huge bag of kit.
It can be a simple point and shoot or you can take full control.

What's not to like?
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 October 2011
*** STOP PRESS ***
The FZ200 is now OUT! Panasonic Lumix FZ200 Bridge Camera - Black (12MP, 24x Optical Zoom) 2 inch LCD The next incremental step in the FZ series and gives f2.8 over the full 25mm-600mm zoom range. This is a remarkable achievement by Panasonic and will make the camera even better. It has a new sensor (a big deal as Panasonic have previously produced both excellent and poor sensors) which offers higher sensitivity at low light levels. It's also physically bigger, which may or may not be a good thing, depending on your perspective. Doubtless the feature set will be tweaked too, with some additions and some features missing. It's also important to note that the lens is phsically bigger, so some accessories for the old FZ cameras may not fit the FZ200. But if you're in the market for a hybrid superzoom, the FZ200 might be worth waiting for.

--- Introduction ---
The FZ150 is an incremental update of the already excellent FZ100. This review will be updated as I use the camera more.

Having shot a few hundred frames with this now, I can report that the results are significantly better than the FZ100. I can't feel the improvement in focussing speed, as the FZ100 was already pretty fast, but when shooting at the extreme end of the zoom, the focus is is much "smarter" than before and doesn't hunt unreasonably. This is particularly valuable when using the viedo function of the camera, which is excellent. The image stabilisation is at least as good as the FZ100. One thing I have noticed is that exposures are more accurate, particularly with flash. I've got a third-party flashgun Polaroid PL144AZ Power-Zoom Shoe Mount Flashgun for Olympus and Panasonic which is excellent and really transforms indoor phtography with the FZ150. Low-light shooting is always a weakness of small-sensor cameras, so getting extra light on your subject is a good idea. Other than that, the great usability of the FZ100 is carried onto the FZ150 and it's a pleasure to use.

If you're interested in the FZ series, please refer to my review of the FZ100 which I got to know pretty well. Panasonic Lumix FZ100 14.1MP Digital Camera - Black (3.0 inch TFT LCD Display, LEICA DC Lens with 24x Optical Zoom and Full HD Movie)

Hereafter, this review purely focuses on what changes can be found in the FZ150 from the original FZ100.

--- What's New ---
The lens: Panasonic have wisely decided to stick to their gem-like 25mm-600mm Leica-licenced lens and simply polished it to an even greater sheen. The result is an excellent lens made even better. A new nano-coating to reduce unwanted light pollution, the already fast auto-focus has been made even faster, and an additional zoom control has been added to the barrel of the lens. The new zoom control allows you to cradle the camera in your left hand and control the zoom with your thumb. The switch can even be reconfigured to act as a focus control instead of zoom. It's a classic example of Panasonic providing more than one way to use a function, and fits in precisely with the whole concept of a bridge camera: Additional creative control. The existing context-sensitive "focus" button remains where it was, which is no bad thing. Additionally, the auto-focus modes have been re-jigged a little. Out is "Pre AF" and in are "Continuous AF" (purely for video) and "Quick AF" (purely for stills). Quick AF focuses the lens without user input when the camera is held steady. Sweet!

The sensor: The old sensor was really the Achilles heel of the FZ100. Not quite as bad as some people would have you believe, but not as good as the best of the competition. The new 12MP sensor with its' larger pixels is considerably better at higher ISOs than the old 14MP, and knocks the wind out of the FZ series critics. In low light, you now have a lot less noise to put up with, and there's even a new 6400 ISO speed for you to not bother with. Actually that's a little unfair, as even the FZ100 was surprisingly acceptable at maximum ISO for movies, and I anticipate the FZ150 being even better. Whilst auto ISO is capped at ISO 400 on the FZ100, it's now capped at ISO 800 on the FZ150, reflecting the improved low-light capability. A new ISO-related feature is that of [ISO Increments]. Instead of the FZ100's sensitivity choices of ISO 100-3200 in steps of 1 EV (100, 200, 400 etc.), the FZ150 allows changes to be made from 100-6400 in steps of 1/3 EV. (100, 125, 160, 200, 250, 320 etc.) At first glance, this seems like a pretty minor change, but it is indicative of the additional capability of the new sensor. This extra control should make the useful iExposure (now renamed iDynamic) even better. iDynamic mode allows the camera to take a fair stab at guessing what exposure various parts of the picture require, and varies the sensitivity of the sensor accordingly. An example of a need for this is a picture taken out of a window. Generally, either the interior is exposed correctly but the "view" is just a white mess, or the view is great but the interior is just a black frame. iDynamic can be turned off, or applied as a low, standard or high modification. When used appropriately, it was a pretty useful facility on the FZ100. I expect the FZ150 to improve on that and I'll update my review when I've had a good play with it.

The stabiliser used to have four settings. Off, Auto, a mode for people who tremble while they try and hold a camera still, and a mode for ham-fisted chimps who stab excitedly at the shutter release as they take the photo. (Yes I'm talking about you, you buffoon!) Now there is simply OFF and ON. How Zen, not to mention very sensible.

The Modes: The FZ100 is not a camera short of modes or adjustability. In fact I think a lot of people will have been completely baffled by the plethora of modes and film types offered by the FZ100. The FZ150 has ushered in some changes. Firstly, the Intelligent Auto Mode has been extended to add iHANDHELD NITE(sic) for stills, and iLOW-LIGHT for movies. I think iHANDHELD NITE is pretty cool, so I'll explain it. Normally, when light levels fall, colours get muddy and fine detail is lost and speckles of "noise" appear. Noise is simply the term used to describe sensor pixels which do not return correct levels of colour or brightness. Much like the human eye, camera sensors have to work harder at resolving correct colour and brightness in low light. But what iHANDHELD NITE does, is to take a series of photos and compare them with each other. These images are then combined so that noise can be eliminated by comparison. Essentially the camera plays "spot the odd pixel out". It`s a good feature to have.
Tagged onto the [SCENE MODE] list is 3D photo mode. A nice curiosity that could be useful to some people.
Burst mode has been speeded up to give 12fps in the FZ150, up one frame from the 11fps of the FZ100. As this was a particular favourite of mine, I'm delighted about the increase in speed, but less pleased with the drop in frames, which falls to just 12 from 15. Why? The AF-enabled top speed is now 5.5fps from 5fps in the FZ100, a measure of the increased speed of the improved auto-focus.
Another new feature is [REC AREA] which tells you the angle of coverage for movie recording.
Speaking of movies, say a warm "Hello" to the new 1080p video mode at 50fps. This is big news as it elevates the FZ150 into position as an excellent camcorder. Very "Wow!". But it comes at a cost: All that detail demands a 28MB/s data transfer. That's right, 28 megabytes of data for every second footage on the highest quality video. If you're going to shoot high quality footage on the FZ150, buy the very best large card you can. Don't buy one of those budget "Class 10" cards as it just won't keep up. SanDisk Extreme 30MB/s or 45MB/s is the way to go. There's also a 1080p 25fps mode (at 20 MB/s) which will better suit film-makers and those who require the greater compatibility of MPEG over AVCHD.

--- What's Missing? ---
Many of the modes, such as portrait, close-up, scenery, sports etc. previously had a "creative" mode which gave aperture control within the mode on the FZ100. That option is not present in the FZ150. I never used it myself, so I shan't mourn it's loss. Additionally, substantial changes have been made to [MY COLOR MODE] which has been renamed [CREATIVE CONTROL MODE] and had seven of the original twelve effects have been removed and replaced by four new modes, including [MINIATURE EFFECT]. Miniature effect is essentially a means of having an adjustable band of focus (horizontal or vertical), so it appears that much of the picture is out of focus as though you had limited depth of field. This fools your brain into thinking you're looking at a close-up picture. It's a pretty cool effect if done well but can be tricky to make it look good. An unwelcome change is the re-jigging of the [FILM MODE] which has been renamed [PHOTO STYLE]. Minor changes are [DYNAMIC] being renamed [VIVID] and [SMOOTH] being renamed [NATURAL]. However, the three black and white modes have been replaced with one, [MONOCHROME]. The mode [NATURE], which brightened RGB has been replaced with [SCENERY] which brightens Green and Blue only. Hmm, not much use at Autumn then! Additionally [MYFILM1] and [MYFILM2] have been replaced with the single [CUSTOM], and [MULTIFILM], which bracketed an exposure with up to three different film types (sorry, photo styles), has been removed altogether. The removal of [MULTIFILM] is a bit of a shame, I feel. It is by no means made up for by the addition of "Sepia" to the trio of [COLOR EFFECT] settings.
One more potentially painful loss is that of very long exposures in manual exposure mode. Gone is the star-gazing 60 second exposure, to be replaced with a somewhat more meagre 15 seconds. This is one of those specialist features that those who use it will be most upset to lose. It's removal is mitigated by the inclusion of a 30 second exposure in [STARRY SKY] mode, but it would have been nice to at least have kept the 30 second exposure in manual too.

--- The conclusion ---
The FZ100 was, and indeed is a great camera. It does so many things so well, it is a shame that its' sensor isn't quite up to the standard of the rest of the camera. The FZ150 builds on all the strengths of the FZ100 and adds a cracking sensor which now does justice to the other outstanding capabilities of the camera. After much happy use, I actually sold my much-loved FZ100 and bought a G2 to allow me to get better results from my macro photography. The G2 is my "proper" camera now. But when out and about to do more than just take pictures, I found I really missed the great burst mode and giant zoom of the FZ100. So when I saw the FZ150 was coming out, I bought one. All the accessories I bought for my FZ100 and carried over to my G2, can now be used again on the FZ150, so for me the FZ150 complements my existing equipment perfectly. It's pleasing to be able to continue to use these accessories and Panasonic should be applauded for maintaining a good degree of compatibility between cameras.

But should you buy one? If you like the handling and flexibility of the FZ150, and want great quality but don't need the big zoom and 12fps burst mode on your camera, then have a look at the Panasonic G2. Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 12.1MP Compact System Camera Kit - Black with 14-42mm Lumix G VARIO f/3.5-5.6 ASPH MEGA OIS Lens It's now a little cheaper than the FZ150, handles even better and takes better pictures due it its' much larger sensor. In many ways, it's far better value for money. (Just because a camera has interchangeable lenses, you don't HAVE to change them.) But if you need additional lenses, you'll need deep pockets to pay for auto-focus lenses for the G2. On the other hand, if you just want a great bridge camera to make sure you can almost always get the shot you want whatever the situation, and don't enlarge or crop your pictures much, then the FZ100 is something of a bargain at under £300. If you're really on a budget, the FZ45 is good value, Panasonic Lumix FZ45 14.1MP Digital Camera - Black (3.0 inch TFT LCD Display, LEICA DC Lens with 25mm Wide-angle and 24x Optical Zoom) but you do lose some of the more interesting functionality of it's big brother, not least the excellent screen. The same goes for the FZ48 Panasonic DMCFZ48EBK Hybrid Super Zoom Digital Camera with 24x Optical Zoom Lens & Full HD Video, which whilst it has a better sensor than the FZ100, doesn't presently represent as good value in my opinion.

As for the FZ150, it is an expensive luxury. You can get better performance for the price from a budget DSLR, or a mirrorless inter-changeable lens compact. There are cheaper bridge cameras that do specific things better. But the job of a bridge camera is to be a Swiss-Army knife of a camera, and do everything well. I honestly don't think there is a bridge camera that does so many things so well, and encourages the user to develop their photographic skill. Like the FZ100, ther FZ150 rewards experimentation, and doesn't inhibit the user with "can't do" limitations. If you buy one you'll love it, but you should buy it in the knowledge that you're possibly indulging yourself and buying with the heart, not the head. Still, you're worth it, aren't you? :-)
4141 comments|187 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 October 2011
I bought mine on pre-order from fotosense for £369. It was delivered as soon as they became available. I've only had it for a couple of weeks, but have taken it on holiday to Turkey to give it a good workout (approx 400 shots and video). The long and the short is, its a terrific camera. I must own up to a penchant for Lumix cameras, and also own a TZ8 and an LX5. I previously owned an FZ18 and very much regretted trading it in. The FZ45 had mixed reviews, but the indications from the review websites were that Panasonic had got it right with the FZ150, and were back on form. I have to agree with that. I have learned over the years how to get the best from these compact cameras in order to get the sort of photo I like, but it is much easier with the FZ150. There are loads of options, some of which I haven't tinkered with, but I'm getting there. One immediately obvious improvement was that I could get excellent shots of the moon, craters and all, HAND HELD. I struggled to do this with the FZ18 even on a tripod. I try to keep the ISO below 400, but have got excellent night shots without flash by letting the ISO go higher. It does lovely slow flash shots at night(I'm in a dance group, and these give the best effect of movement), but the shots in good light are very good indeed. I don't have an SLR, so can't compare, but they are almost as good as my LX5, which has very-near LX5 quality. Video is great, and very easy to use. I took some really nice shots paragliding in Oludeniz. All in all, a very good buy. You will not be disappointed.
0Comment|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 April 2012
We spent a long time reviewing loads of web sites looking for a camera that took a great picture when we asked it to do!! Our current Canon Ixus just missed all the great moments of our kids. The great thing about the FZ150 is it AFs in 0.1 second, and can fire off 5 pictures/s with AF (12 without AF). As long as you have a big SD card, which has a fast transfer rate, then shoot away in multi shoot mode, and one of the pictures is going to be great. The first day we used it, we took the best pictures of the kids ever. The depth of pictures are great - face in focus with background evenly blurred.

People go on about how the ISO at high values is rubbish. Ok so its not a DSLR. We took pictures living room without flash (auto mode put ISO to 800) and picture look great when blown up on pc. Haven't tried higher yet.

1080p - yes, does not auto focus, haven't found it a problem yet though. Movies are great and the mic works well to.

For £350 - it's completely worth the money. Go and get one.

Tip - buy a lens cover or your kids climb up you and put fingers on lens, went back to Amazon to buy cleaning gear. :-)
on 10 July 2012
I used to have a FZ20. Well, I still have it but it will not start. I have had it for over 7 years, took thousands of pictures with it but did not look after it very well. Sea water and sand from over the world eventually killed the motor that make it start up. I kept my mind completely open and considered seriously Fujifilm, Canon, Sony and Panasonic. The critics pointed at the FZ150 but what did it for me was the colours, the quality of the pictures and the general feel looking at hundreds of sample pictures on the internet. I have had my new FZ150 for around 2 months and there is nothing I don't like. It is fantastic and I have already taken tousands of pictures. I love the camera and its RAW facilities. I am experimenting with Silkpix, the software that came with the camera. I it find excellent. I used to be a point and shooter with my FZ20, I become an enthusiast with my FZ150. Sometimes I wish I had a DSLR for the high ISO cababilities in low light but then, to beat the quality of the FZ150, I would have had to pay 2 or 3 times more. Indeed, I noticed that the cheap entry level DSLR are equipped with very basic lenses that, im my opinion spoil the pictures. With Panasonic, the lenses are great. I am really happy.