5.0 out of 5 stars User-friendly, adaptable and keenly priced
This is a great piece of software, combining both graphics and photo-editing functions into one simple, well designed package.

Published on 25 Oct. 2011 by Zipster Zeus

1.0 out of 5 stars proberly a good item
shame there was no box or ser no , wont be ordring from him again i went to pc world and bought Magic photo & grafic designer 2013 for 14.99 new ,its the same program and is brilliant
Published 18 months ago by kenneth nicholls

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars User-friendly, adaptable and keenly priced, 25 Oct. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I'd recommend this to anyone, from students to people putting together small websites, promo material etc for their own businesses back through home use for photo editing and the like. Although of course the industry standard is increasingly dominated by Adobe now, particularly with Illustrator and Photoshop, I've always found their software- although undoubtedly powerful- rather clunky and over-priced. Personally I used to be a huge fan of Macromedia Freehand [remember that anyone?], until it was bought out and absorbed into Illustator, and graphic design software choices took a step backward in my opinion. However the user interface of this software is the closest to the lovely simpicity and flexibility Freehand had, and although it has less functions and bells and whistles than a more expensive software package, it is something I will be using more than Illustrator now I think, as I've never really found Illustrator that easy to use for my [admittedly rather low to mid-level] design needs.

So well worth the five stars...I don't think you'd get anything better for this, or even twice, the price, and you can dive straight in and find your way around in a fun but quickly productive way. What's there not to like about that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Competant graphics package for the Newby, 4 Nov. 2011
CjW "chris" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First - I must say when installed - update the thing from the Help page, or it crashes as someone has mentioned already too!

When that's done - it runs fine.
Actually thats a good idea for any program you install!

Xara have emerged from the awful period with Corel - who specialise in shabby documentation and zero help.
It ran alongside Paint Shop Pro - my favourite until Corel destroyed it and it would not even run on my power PC.

Magix have reatined the interface and improved the stability and the helkp files!

HUZZAH,

The program is now usable again - its more for the Newby and towards intermediate user.
By that I mean it has all the tools for a new user to create quick and impressive graphics and (as was always)more aimed at web production.

That's why its not as powerful at detailed graphics editing of detailed or existing images; but there again its not aimed at Photoshop level users. Fair enough?

Should a new to reasonably confident user buy it?

YES - it will perform nicely.

Should a pro buy it - No, unless you want a cheap and fast quick graphic creation program for the web, poster, DTP etc - then Yes its useful.

Price - yes its overpriced for what it does - but it does it well and you would be unlikely to need another program.
If you want one and are more intermediate to advanced - Serifs DrawPlus beats it hands down for tools and ability and costs the same - but once a customer you get upgrade versions cheaper for life! I still do after 15 years!

Nice little program

4.0 out of 5 stars If you're looking for the new Xara Xtreme, this is it!, 27 Oct. 2011
DJ Bez (Weston-super-Mare) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Have a quick look at the Wikipedia page for Xara and you'll see that its roots lie in creating and publishing software for the now sadly defunct British computer brand, Acorn, and their proprietry operating system, RISC OS. Back then, Computer Concepts, as they were known, made a vector (i.e lines and shading rather than pixel based) drawing package called 'ArtWorks'. Whilst this didn't set the world alight, it was one of the few 'killer' applications for the platform, i.e. a program so good at what it did, it might justify buying the hardware.

Later on came the change to Xara, co-branding with Corel, and now being taken over by German company Magix. Whilst other Xara products have bitten the dust as a result of the merger, Xara X (later X1 and Xtreme) has morphed into this latest package, Designer 7.

Having used the original ArtWorks, and both Xaras X1 and Xtreme (not that there is much between the last two) I'm pleased to say that this new version keeps up the ease of use and intuitive functions that means I've never had to consult the manual except for the most esoteric of options. Better still, this latest verison can STILL load formats up to 20 years old, on other computers, and especially all the items I had created in ArtWorks.

The new interface window seems a bit unweildly on a laptop - probably fine on the average 19" desktop LCD these days - but all the old tools and functions are there. The price is a steal; this software feels and looks fully professional despite there being an actual 'professional' version available at much increased cost. Plus, any problems the software had with Vista and 7 have of course been completely removed with this latest version, although these were only ever limited to file handling on startup for me.

If you just want to draw simple logos and leaflets, and only ever skimmed the surface of the woefully complex Photoshop to touch up the colour temperature of your holiday snaps, this is the package for you, and I'm genuinely delighted with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of bang for your buck!, 16 Jan. 2012
George Rodger - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A very impressive item, and great value!

It might not be the professional's choice, but for beginners/enthusiastic amateurs/semi-skilled/students etc. it's hard to find a better product.

Great features for both the photo editing side and the design side, easy to use, intuitive interface - did I mention the price?

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost like a game, but with great outcomes., 21 Dec. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a novice when it comes to photo editing and graphic design so I wanted something not too basic but that I wouldn't need to re-mortgage the house to get a copy of. Xara is a fantastic tool once you get used to it but I did find it a little counter intuitive when I first started using it, but that quickly passed. The number of things you can do with this software almost makes it feel like you are playing a game rather than working on photos and I would recommend anyone who wants to start doing things with pictures on an in any way regular basis, to get their hands on a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Graphics Software - at a price that belies it's capability, 18 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Magix Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 7 (PC) (CD-ROM)
I purchased this software to help my wife (who's not a graphic designer) complete quite high quality and professional poster and banner artwork for a charity she supports.

We needed an 'all round' graphics package able to import and work with logo's and other vector (outline) graphics, but also able to handle some photographic image editing (though more complex edits we do use Photoshop Elements as that has a great suit of photo tools - including background removal).

Professional printers would recommend Adobe InDesign and the CS suit (Photoshop / Illustrator) - but this while excellent is costly and complex. We needed to acheive the same results for an outlay within the charity's small budget.

We also needed the package to be able to handle profesional printing of full size banner pages (i.e. 800mm wide by 2,300mm high or larger) as well as more standard A3 and A4 posters. It did this with ease, we'd quickly setup the non standard banner page sizes and the whole program still performed quickly allowing smooth editing and layout even with these larger file sizes.

I have been impressed with the help and tutorial files that have mode leaning easy and enjoyable... like any reasonably sophisticated software, there are many commands to learn & understand, but they have generally been logical and easy to work out with a little experimentation and reference to the help files for backup.

Overall, there are too many capabilities to comment on them all.. suffice to say, this has been an impressive, stable (no crashes or lost work) and enjoyable package to use.. that has delivered professional quality prints (via print to high resolution PDF)... and all for a very reasonable sum. Highly recommended

1.0 out of 5 stars proberly a good item, 14 Oct. 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars good product, 26 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Magix Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 7 (PC) (CD-ROM)
does what it says on the tin, im a begiiner so nice product to use, early days yet so far so good

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant product at a reasonable price, 21 July 2013
J. A. Davies (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magix Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 7 (PC) (CD-ROM)
Superb product, powerful, yet reasonably easy for a novice like me to get to
grips with. The balance between useability and functionality - is well judged. I use it for graphics/drawing and now able to create smooth curves with ease. Not used it for photo editing yet - as still happy enough with PS Elements. The xara product has a 3D function which for me is amazing - lots of templates to choose from. Would like to tell you more but I'm still learning and have only scratched the surface of it so far. A CD based tutorial would be nice and I would be prepared to pay more for one. Overall, absolutely brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm not mad on it, but, 17 Mar. 2013
J D Tilston (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Magix Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 7 (PC) (CD-ROM)
I'm not sure I've given it enough of a chance or looked into it all properly. My son bought me it for Christmas 2012 because I had version 6 and loved it, but I don't like this version quite as much. Every time I open it the last photo I did anything with opens with it and I have to get rid of that before I get started, but that'll just be a setting that needs changing I'd imagine. I have had to uninstall and reinstall it several times because the shortcut fails to open the program too, but it seems to be behaving on the last install. I don't know why, but I won't question it while it's working. I have to admit it's a smashing photo editor, but I haven't done much drawing with it yet so can't say much about that.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Magix Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 7 (PC)
Magix Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 7 (PC) by Magix Entertainment Ltd (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available