Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 29 January 2012
A little gem which I would never have thought of reading if it hadn't been available as such a bargain on the Kindle and I couldn't be bothered to go searching for other books when using the 3G to download when 'on-the-road'.

A harrowing but hopeful story of suffering, revenge and personal redemption it made be believe and go along with it. I don't know how well or accurately it reflects the experiences of those caught up in the holocaust and I don't suppose one ever can.

My only complaint about the book was its dodgy editing, grammatical errors and inconsistent spelling. The author is, according to the Amazon information, an American but the book has an odd mixture of American and British English usage in places. Nevertheless don't be put off by that it is very, very well worth reading.
on 5 July 2013
An excellent story and an enjoyable read. Story of a Jewish woman who as formally in a concentration camp who works for an Israeli organisation who assassinates former Nazi SS. The journey shows how an obsession can consume a person.

Highly recommended.
on 18 January 2014
Quite an enjoyable book. I like novels and films about Nazi war criminals hiding in South America but I felt this book just turned into a young woman's work experience trip to Nicaragua. Written from a slight pro-Christian sentiment in my opinion, the central character Gabriella undergoes an emotional transformation from bitter holocaust survivor to cynical woman questioning her mission. Perhaps there will be a sequel as the ending was left open and unfulfilled
on 7 March 2014
The author has used the book as a vehicle to describe (a) the horrors of the Holocaust (b) the dilemma of ordinary Germans faced with supporting country yet discovering the appalling behaviour of the Nazi Party and the SS in particular (c) the difficulties faced by a Catholic Priest in following the rules of his church while ministering to the poor in South America and (d) the moral problems associated with Israeli vengeance post 2nd World War.
on 17 November 2014
It's difficult to decide whether this is worth 3 or 4 stars. The book tells of a Jewish holocaust survivor who is on a vengeance trail, and starts very well, but generally slows down as it goes on, with a number of lengthy flashbacks, both by her and the other main character. However the writing gets a bit heavy, with paragraphs a (kindle) page long. Whilst American spellings are somewhat annoying, I absolutely detest the ridiculous and meaningless us of the word 'of' instead of 'have' - one of the examples was when she says 'I should of'. I really think this was put through an American spell-checker rather than having it proof read. I have relented and given the book 4 stars as I decided to finish it, and the ending, which although is open-ended, is very apt.
on 23 February 2013
Great book kept me guessing was he the Nazi would she stay? I recommend it to anyone that likes a good read that is not too heavy, can be put down and picked up easily.
on 24 December 2013
A thought provoking story about two people, in 1960, a Jewish girl born in Austria and a German Christian, whose lives have been scarred and shaped by their individual experiences during WW2. Potential enemies, their reactions to each other are presented by the author in a perceptive and sensitive way reflecting the shadows of suspicion left by the past. The narrative is interesting and well written (despite the frequent Americanisms). Do not be put off by the cheapness of the book. If you are interested in people, read it.
on 28 August 2013
I found this an interesting read. Enough action and intent with the thoughts of can we forgive but not forget, revenge, a way of finding peace, horror of man and bravery of friend and foe. The horror of the camps I suspect are true fact and a view of both sides and then a group who are happy but have little gives you food for thought. At the price a good read and being an action freak still found it enjoyable.
on 22 June 2014
When giving a novel an historical setting, the auth0r should at least get the facts right. This tale is littered with inaccuracies and that made it difficult for me to stick with the story... but, I did and alas it was a waste of my time. Don't repeat my mistake - avoid this poorly-written tripe.
on 12 March 2014
Thought this was going to be a good old WW2 action yarn with a difference, but it stumbled along for long periods and whilst I did enjoy it, could only rate it - ok.