5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Nuvi 3490 LMT - brilliant!
Published on 7 May 2012 by Kindle Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Not satisfied
Bough this unit in Mar '12 and had to have it replaced after only a few weeks. Why? The unit switched its self off and would not power up again, regardless of whether it was connected to the car power supply, mains power or through my Laptop.
I contacted the good people in AMAZON and they replaced it in a matter of days, fantastic service.
After having the...
Published 20 months ago by Cossie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Nuvi 3490 LMT - brilliant!, 7 May 2012
This review is from: Garmin nuvi 3490LMT 4.3" Sat Nav with Europe Maps, Lifetime Map Updates & Traffic Alerts and Bluetooth (Electronics)
When I saw Garmin's new releases for 2012 I decided it was definitely time to replace my old Nuvi 200 with something more high tech! It was a toss up between the 3590 LMT and the 3490 LMT ... the only difference seemed to be that the 3490 was slimmer and lighter and the rrp was 10 less. I am more than satisfied with the 3490 - it has lifetime travel and map updates (I bought Lifetime updates for the Nuvi 200), lane assist and bird's eye views on roundabouts (brilliant!)and you can sync it with your smart phone to use as hands free. The spoken directions are clear and it gives road names. The 'voice command' setting is a 'must have'! Tell it an address and it finds it, ask it to phone a contact/number and it does. And if you can't find where you have parked your car it will lead you to it ... provided you haven't left it in the glove box!! Overall I am really impressed with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the way forward, 19 April 2012
A. A. Jones "A A Jones" (Stockton on Tees, England, UK) - See all my reviews
This neat little Sat-Nav unit arrived in a very tiny package. It contained the actual Sat-Nav unit which is thinner than my iPhone, the combined power adapter/traffic receiver, screen suction mount and self-adhesive disc for dashboard mount. Also included were quick start instructions.
Installation was fairly quick, and consisted of connecting the device to my PC and downloading the latest maps. At this time the software on the device was also updated. I have a fast connection and the total setup time was around an hour.
The unit was easily fitted to my vehicle. I tucked the antenna cable in the crevice between screen and dashboard and dispensed with the small rubber suckers.
In use the screen is very bright and clear and responds well to touch. The onscreen keyboard is a good layout and has no lag. Easy to find my destination and the unit is well populated with points of interest, The mapping is clear and updates very quickly as you drive. There is a choice of voices and this model also speaks street names.
This unit also has voice-activated navigation and unlike previous models requires no remote control. This is a much improved feature. Simply say "voice command" and you are prompted on screen with recognisable commands, e.g. Navigate home or find address.
I am delighted with this unit and even though I have probaly thrown away 258.59 on something I could have lived without, at least I feel as though I have something to show for my money unlike my last car service. (well that was my argument to my wife anyway)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not satisfied, 8 Nov 2012
After having the replacement unit for approx 6 a series of faults started to occurred:
1. The unit would reboots itself during a journey. 5 or 10 minutes later it would come back to life.
2. On several occasions the street map would disappear, the journey track was still visible, you could still hear the directional instructions but that was all, not street plan. I had to re-boot it 3 times before the map would re-appear, not a problem if you know where you are but not if, like me, you are driving in the city of Bordeaux (France) for the first time and your SatNav fails.
3. The time it takes to plot a journey went from under a minute to 10 or more minutes. Getting off the Ferry on returning to Ireland I pressed the HOME icon, it took 45 minutes to plot the journey. Because of this fault, apart from all the others, you cant get traffic alerts *even though I have paid for that service* As it needs to know where you are going to inform you of any obstacles on the journey.

This is my 5th Garmin SatNav & the only Model I have ever had a problem with. And yes, I have written to Garmin, just waiting for a reply (said hopefully). Hope that this is of help to someone.

Up-Date 02 August 2013
The problems as I have outlined above have NOT been fixed.
I have written to GARMIN on several occasions and have gotten the same 'stock' reply each time: Up-Date your software, Re-Boot your system and you will be okay, have a nice day.

The latest addition to the list of problems: The unit switches itself off and three or even five days later it will switch itself on again.
I wrote again to GARMIN, it was obvious that GARMIN didn't even have the curtsy of reading my email, they instructed me to 'connect the SatNav to my computer, it should take about 5 hours to full charge', 'update the software' 'Re-Boot the system' and 'everything will be fine'

Hello ... I just told you that it would NOT power-up from ANY power source.

The only thing that changes in the name at the bottom of the page.
It is obvious the GARMIN just do not care about their customers.

GARMIN is, without doubt, the worst company I have ever dealt with.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 1 July 2012
I bought the Garmin Nuvi 3760T a couple of years ago and quite frankly thought it was a terrible product, but having recently dropped it I found myself looking for a new sat-nav. I did my homework this time and found the 3490lmt, which for all intents and purposes is a new version of the 3760 so I don't have tp discard the case and peripherals as they are all compatible. I was apprehensive about buying another Garmin product, but it seems that all of the manufacturers make dodgy products now, so based on the reviews I took a chance.

I have to say, first impressions have been good; the new interface is very clear and simple to understand and you can customize many of the features such as the new actions buttons that are displayed in the map screen and the look and feel of the dashboard at the bottom of the screen. The 3D appearance makes the display very clear and concise, a huge improvement on the 3760. The screen seems to be a little slicker, redraw rates are much faster and smoother and recalculation of routes is almost instantanious. Another major improvement is the time it takes to find a satelitle...indoors it was ready to navigate in less than 5 seconds, bit different to the 40-60 seconds on the 3760.

There are a few problems though; the device is claimed to be voice activated, but during the process of updating the maps I was informed that voice activation does not work with the UK and Ireland maps, which is a bit ridiculous and misleading. Another advertised feature that I am still to find if the birds eye view of junctions...the junctions view is identical to the 3760...I will play with this to see if it only appears in 3D view. The back on my unit is lose and creaks when I apply any pressure to it...it is fixed on securely though, so not really a problem.

Don't be fooled by the "Live Ready" Smartphone link, this really is a big con...once you connect your sat-nav to your phone you quickly discover that all of the available services are subscription based...

Anyway, I will update this review when I have used the unit a bit more!

(Here is the link to my review of the 3760)

3.0 out of 5 stars Early glitches at risk of tarnishing what looks like a great product, 23 July 2012
P. Jeffery "PJ" (UK) - See all my reviews
I pondered over the rationale behind spending 200 plus for this vs a less 'Slick' version that would essentially do the same job. I opted for the 'Flagship' product as a treat to myself for a recent achievement of mine and received it just before the weekend.

I was initially very impressed. small, smart, well built etc. I hooked it into the computer and jostled with the PC vs Garmin registration process. It took about an hour before i opted to download Google Chrome to try and see if i could get them talking. This worked. Likely a problem with IE and Garmin software i thought. I was a bit miffed at receiving a product that needed 5 hours of update time prior to use, but if that was par for the course then thats the way it was.

Next morning it was all updated and i took it for a spin. Quick clear instructions with good graphics for lane assist etc, very quick rerouting. Im a little concerned regarding the rumor that there is only one junction in the uk that has the photoreal facility available. Ill be researching that and having words if thats the case.

I tried the voice commands and the device threw up an error time and time again. This is where my frustrations started. Garmin call centre - long waits, polite staff but operate a system whereby they send you instructions to fix your problem by email, but when it doesnt work, you are back in the queue waiting to be seen to. They couldnt offer an explaination as to why my device doesnt get on with 'my dashboard' update portal and their fixes did nothing of the sort. Their numerous attempts at fixing the voice command prompts were also unsucessful. This whole process ate 3 hours from my day and their final solution was to send it back for a replacement in 5 days. Not bad but I have evoked the sturdy services of amazon to get me another unit (and by previous experience it will be less than 5 working days).

Overall the unit is good, but if there continue to be technical glitches then its going back for a cheaper unit. I believe if Garmin are marketing this as a flagship unit, with the premium to match, is it really acceptable to be sending out untis that require so much input to get updated and appear to have so many technical glitches!? I may have stumbled upon a duff unti and i may eat my words when the next arrives. so far not absolutely convinced with this one. Watch this space.

Amazon, as ever, have been fab and efficient in sorting this out so top marks to them again.

UPDATE. New unit arrived today (one day after return request made), man collected old unit. The replacement already works better with my computer and has updated etc and the voice commands work. Looks like i was given a duff unit first time round. so far 4.0 star rating considering the early hassle:outlay ratio.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 7 May 2012
M. Roberts (UK) - See all my reviews
This is my 1st Garmin satnav. I have owned a Navman and my last satnav was a Snooper Syrius snp-500. The nuvi 3490 is a great piece of kit . It logs on to satellites within a second even in the house. I find it easy to connect it to its cradle on the windscreen. Also it's very fast to calculate routes it's great to see the speed limit for the road you are on displayed on the 3490. The 3490 is very thin lightweight with a glass screen. It looks and feels a very well made product. It has an internal 4 hour battery. I find it easy to use with voice commands. It's also nice that Garmin has a free phone number in the UK for tech support.

I found it easy to add POI with Garmin POI up loader software but if you have subscribed to Garmin safety camera software and you delete any POI you have to re upload the safety camera data again. It's easy to find free POI on the web - don't pay for them

I have not found out how the traffic system works yet and I have still not seen a lane assist junction come up even in Norwich City. Garmin tech support told me it only works on 1 junction in the UK. They don't tell you that when buying it I do hope I was given wrong information on this issue if not I need to have a chat with Advertising Standards.

Garmin could not tell me why the 3490 crashed when trying to update my maps or safety camera software and they kept telling me to press volume. Put your thumb on the top left of the screen for 10 seconds to take it in to diagnostics page then MTU and choose mass storage single session. It worked but I had to do this every time I wanted to update maps or safety camera downloads . They asked me to return the satnav. But I solved this by removing my SD card. It now updates fine. I am surprised Garmin did not have a clue about this bug.

Does anybody know if the safety camera warning works on the side of the road you are travelling on? Can you change the bong-bong sound to voice to give you the warning instead?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sat Nav., 24 April 2012
K. G. TAYLOR (York, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this to replace my tomtom device. When I first connected the device to my PC to download the latest maps and software, it took over 5 hours. When it eventually loaded the "My Garmin" page was still saying that I didn't have the latest software. I rang Garmin and they emailed me a PDF with instructions how to download directly from Garmin. I have to say that they sent the instructions within two minutes of ending the phone call. Fantastic service. Now I've used the sat nav for a month or so my view is that it's absolutely brilliant. Lots of features, voice command is outstanding, good clear screen and updates very quickly. Ideal when you're navigating around complex junctions. The split screen photo junction is impressive. Expensive, but well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 Mar 2012
J. Kaye (UK) - See all my reviews
This arrived in a neat package which was very cleaver as it allows you to get to the GPS and the cables separatly.
It was simple to charge and set up. Registration for the lifetime maps was easy and the unit updated both its formware and the maps easily. The navigation seems to be good and the options are all there. I am still working out how much of it works.
I have changed form a Tomtom to the Garmin and so far have been delighted with the switch.
Great looking unit with a nice form which is easy to carry and so will not get left in the car.

5.0 out of 5 stars 30 Cash back offer, 1 Jun 2012
This is a great little sat nav I really love it. But be warned when trying to get your 30 cash back that the Amazon receipt which you can print on line is not accepted as a valid receipt. You need a VAT Invoice. When I applied for my cash back with the Amazon receipt it took Garmin three weeks to tell me it was not valid. Am I in the process of trying to get A VAT receipt but I fear by the time I get this from Amazon and to then on to Garmin they will tell me I am too late.

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Nuvi 3490LMT, 12 May 2012
This Sat-Nav was an upgrade from my last Garmin unit which was around 5 years old (I did not want to pay for the map upgrades, hence the LMT purchase). Fantastic product with much more detailed and intelligent routing, voice command is a fantastic addition. Traffic updates are a must as I travel a lot for work, the reporting is accurate and timely, a significant upgrade from my older unit. Overall I am very happy with this purchase, the only issue I had was that a dashboard disc is no longer sent as standard and I had to purchase this as an addition (available through Amazon). A small issue easily resolved, I would highly recommend this product.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›