I upgraded to the Nuvi 2495 from a 4-year old Nuvi 200 after some research reading reviews on the internet and comparing features.

Published on 16 Aug. 2012 by Yanni D.

2.0 out of 5 stars When it works, it's great
My first sat-nav was a Garmin, but 4 years down the line, and around £75 for new maps, I thought I may as well buy a new unit with lifetime maps (and traffic).

Perfect size, easy to use, it's a great device. There is minor problem with reflection on sunny days, but the real problems have been the software crashes.

My first one lasted a week, before...
Published on 19 Jan. 2013 by Chris Allsopp

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Nuvi 2495LMT 4.3" Sat Nav with Europe Maps, Lifetime Map and Traffic Updates, and Bluetooth, 16 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Garmin nuvi 2495LMT 4.3" Sat Nav with UK and Full Europe Maps, Free Lifetime Map Updates, Free Lifetime Traffic Alerts and Bluetooth (Electronics)

This little device has simply knocked me out! It is very easy to use, very quick and knows where everything is, anywhere in Europe. We tested this with the family in our recent trip with our car to France. Very handy when you are in a city you don't know. Petrol stations, restaurants, shops were only a tap away. I also liked the "walk" function. Very useful when you leave the car in the hotel and go for a walk around town.

As for the other features, what can I say - everything worked great:
- Awesome screen, very clear with adjustable brightness
- I connected to my PC and downloaded the latest maps - took around 3 hours despite my fast connection, however you only need to do this about once a year and it is free for the life of the device
- Connected my phone via Bluetooth and all my contacts were transferred automatically. The speaker volume is adjustable and the mike is great. Very sensitive and I could hear and be heard clearly without shouting!
- Favourite places can be easily saved
- Lane assist very useful when approaching a motorway exit
- The road speed limit was accurately displayed beside our current speed which would turn red if we went over it!
- History is very useful when you want to go back to a place that you searched before but do not want to add to your favourites

Best GPS by far and the price is very good!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well could easily have been even better though, 18 Jun. 2012
A. Cooper - See all my reviews
Mostly it works very well indeed. Especially the accuracy of the full postcode search. However, here is the rub: With a whole load of postcodes in history you will want to edit with a note like put someone's name in but no facility for that. You will also want to delete some records and not others, again no facility, it is all or nothing. Maybe this is possible if you connect to pc but I just want to keep it simple but be able to edit description and delete individually. Some speed limits on roads are out of date even with latest updates, and I think the speed camera thingy is a bit of a false sense of security but better on than off all the same. Glad I got it but hope updates will improve the editability as I have described. Three and a half stars would be my accurate rating for this. Customer support is good....eventually, good but slow response email support.

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Nuvi 2495LMT 4.3" Sat Nav with Europe Maps, 31 May 2012
Have owned a Garmin before. About 6 years ago was tempted by an offer on a TomTom Go, what a mistake.The recent problems with a software update left the TomTom pretty well useless. Back to a wonderful Garmim. So easy to use. Decent restaurants and hotels listed in the database (not just fast foods). No subscriptions to update maps or traffic. Near your destination there is a car park search facility. Garmins are the best!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Satnav review, 9 July 2012
I resisted buying a SatNav for a long time, preferring old style route planning with a map and distances from online mapping. However a bad motorway traffic hold up made me investigate Satnav units with traffic updates. Eventually bought this one, the key features were lifetime map updates and traffic information. I have used garmin GPS units at sea for Navigation back-up, and reputation made it an obvious preference. The unit is great, good mapping and visibility, voice is unobtrusive, easy to use and the Garmin website very good(but first download of maps takes a long time!). I like the lane guidance at complex junctions/roundabouts. I use a flat dashboard ring rather than sticking to the windscreen, so it's very easy to remove and stow away. Also a handy Amazon basic case to stow the unit in my pocket rather than leave in the car. All in all, very pleased. Only fault - don't try to use next day delivery. Amazon & CityLink failed to deliver, to their credit, Amazon refunded the delivery charge immediately.

2.0 out of 5 stars When it works, it's great, 19 Jan. 2013

My first one lasted a week, before whilst on-route the machine switched off and would not switch on. Even a full reset would not resolve it. I had it replaced, being without it for over a week.

However the replacement had a row of pixels missing. I had it replaced, being without it for over a week.

This one worked fine for about 5 weeks, until the microphone stopped working, so I could no longer use the voice control or the bluetooth to my phone. I had it replaced, being without it for over a week.

Now 2 months along, it has developed another fault, when using the Voice Control (an excellent feature), give it a place to navigate to and it immediately restarts itself. I am awaiting a window in my work so i can return it yet again.

Excellent customer service with regards returns and replacement, but I wish I didn't have to use it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I wanted it to be!, 26 Jun. 2012
I agonised for while over which SatNav to buy. I wanted Bluetooth, I wanted subscription-free maps and traffic, Eurpean cover and a gadget I could use as a mini armchair atlas for aimless 'virtual' wandering. It all comes in this bundle. I'm just back from Bavaria where the machine was faultless in finding main routes and the most obscure back routes. I was amazed to realise that it tracked me off-road (slimline, in-pocket) whilst walking in the Alps. Obviously it doesn't show tracks but it showed my position, direction, etc - an extreme test of the 'last parking spot' facility - could be a life-saver! Great machine, well pleased with my purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working in less than 2 months rubbish service support from Garmin, 25 Mar. 2013
Bought this from Tesco direct and was very happy until one journey satnav crash and would not start up.
Reset it, reboot it, installed updates. Eventually I attempted to return this rubbish device to the store I picked it from. After 4 visits and a compulsory call to Garmin, which pretended to be unaware of problems, I still don't have a satnav working, as Garmin want's validation of the reference number and wouldn't work outside 9-5
Avoid at all costs, I know this doesn't refer to an amazon purchase, but I am furious and need to let out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 28 Dec. 2012
My wife has owned a Garmin sat nav for a couple of years and I've been very impressed with it. I wanted to get a unit that, would allow me to plan journeys ahead of time and this one allows me to do this. Logging on to MapQuest (much the same as Google Maps in layout and operation) allows you to plan a route and send it to your Garmin for use - great for holiday site seeing.

In everyday use the 2495 is excellent. It was easy to set up and very easy to use. The downloading of new maps is a lengthy process as noted in other reviews, but if you are aware of this it's not much of an issue, just leave it chugging away while you get on with other things. I've been very pleased with the performance over the last few months and can highly recommend this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bargain price with lifetime updates and cashback deal., 24 Sept. 2012
Our old Garmin was 4 years out of date, and we'd got tired of travelling across green fields, so this seemed a great deal. Has worked perfectly so far, speech recognition seems fine, though watch what you or the radio says, as twice it's switched screens in response to some spoken word! Like the split screen views as approach multi-lane junctions. Only reason for knocking off a star is the sound quality is not as good as our previous Garmin, despite trying all the voices, this may be an isolated problem in our unit only, and is not enough for us to return it. Off to Jersey and Netherlands in next few months, so we'll see how it fares (remembering to switch off speed warnings for France).

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 17 Jun. 2012
Easy to use like the voice command clear maps & instructions. The instructions downloaded could be clearer but garmin helpline is very good