5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking audiophile item.
Published 19 months ago by Mr. N. S. Matthews

Published 17 months ago by matimas

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking audiophile item., 27 Nov. 2013
Mr. N. S. Matthews (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech UE Air Speaker (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
Just bought this speaker today. I did plenty of research first on various products. I consider myself an audiophile. I have in the past owned and auditioned all kinds of hifi from the hundreds of pounds to tens of thousands of pounds systems. I auditioned it in the shop and was impressed, but it was when I got it home that i was truly enlightened by this device's ability.

The Logitech UE Air speaker is never going to be as good as good quality hifi separates, so please have realistic expectations of the device.

I paid a hundred pounds for it, for a device which one year ago costed £300! This device won a trusted and reliable 5 stars What Hifi award, and deservedly so.

Advantages:

- Relatively compact at a little under 21" long, 7 inches high and a few inches thick at the thickest point. It doesn't weigh much, but feels weighty enough to feel sturdy.
- Plays over your wifi network, so you can set this up with ease to play your music streamed from your computer. I haven't tried it with Windows Media player, only i-Tunes. The i-tunes set up makes it so easy it's unbelievable. You will need your wireless router password to hand as it use that device to "Beam', the music from your computer to the speaker.
- The item is very minimalist in appearance, and it would fit in just about anywhere. It ships with a power lead for uk and European plugs. It's about a metre long.
- Has a 3.5mm line in so you can use any mp3 player as a source for the speaker. The sound quality from this analogue connection is excellent.
- The i-pod dock (30 pin connector only for older devices) tucks away into the front of the device out of sight.
- Room filling bass. The bass is not booming, it's tight, controlled and punchy. i have tried it both near to a wall and in the middle of a room with nothing close to the bass ports at the back and in both positions it performs very well. The rear firing ports if placed within 6-12" of a wall do enhance the bass, but it remains controlled and not boomy.
- Mid range and treble are catered for well. Crisp and clear. The soundstage is narrower than having separate speakers, but the unit is shape to radiate the sound outwards and not just directly forwards and so it does a pretty good job of projecting a reasonably convincing soundstage with good musical separation. Listening to something eclectically complex such as Swedish House Mafia's, 'Don't you Worry Child', tested the speaker well. It managed not to produce a miss mash of mixed up sound. It's limits showed at high volume, with only very slight loss of separation.
- You can set the device up to stream music from wifi enabled i-pods, phones and PCs, so it should be compatible with most devices. It is optimised for apple devices though, but isn't that now the norm?

Disadvantages:

- Not truly portable as it is mains operated only, no batteries i am afraid.
- 30 pin connector and not a lightning connector as found on the newer i-phone 5 and new 7g Nano devices. (Adapter available for around £20, just make sure you get one with the audio connection built in otherwise you will only get a data connection and no sound).
- No remote control (although you can adjust volume etc from your source device). So if that happens to be your phone or i-pod, you could be in the kitchen and take your device out of your pocket and just flick to the next track or adjust the volume from there.

I can't think of any more disadvantages.

This device is engaging and well built. The overall performance for a device so small and so cheap is quite frankly staggering. I also have a Bose Wave player which is excellent, but is primarily best at playing CDs. I have compared the two and the Bose comes out on top with the best quality coming from CDs, but then it's not compressed music. However, the Bose is not networked to my Home wifi network, so I can't stream. The Bose wave costs £550.00 and the Logitech £100. If you look at it that way, it's a no brainer and you can stream to the Logitech or dock your i-pod. If you look at the equivalent Bose Soundwave, it will still set you back over twice as much as the Logitech.

My Separates are put away in the loft now, better than both devices, but more cumbersome. My Bose will always be there for my CD collection when nothing but CD will do, but the Logitech now has a place right above the Bose for the convenient, "Everything else", I might want for playing my music out loud.

It's a bargain and if you are in the market for such a device, just go out and buy this one. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Airplay Speakers...Great!!, 26 Aug. 2013
M. Philip (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I was looking for an Airplay speaker for my bedroom. The decent options available are very costly because of their Airplay tag. I was not quite sure if logitech could meet up-to my expectation but now using it continuously for couple of days, i am glad that i chose it. This speaker started selling at £299 and thats the reason you will find not find any 5 star reviews anywhere which is fair enough. But if you get for £99, it certainly deserves 5 star.

Here is what good of it:
1. Is looks good. Black with no ugly control buttons.
2. The output quality is very good and is room filling. Not very high but good enough for what you pay for.
3. Its a breeze to setup. Just dock your iOS device and follow the instructions. Within a minute it will be all set.
4. Its got Airplay, AUX and the dock. The dock charges the device.
5. You don't need to physically plug in the ethernet cable to use Airplay

What is negative about them. Doesn't matter for me but based on other reviews I have read online.
1. No remote - You really don't need it. You'll be controlling the music from your iOS device. They go on standby mode if not in use. You also don't need to press any button to wake them up - just stream thru Airplay and it will do the rest.
2. No technical details of the drivers/speakers inside - Who cares, if it fills up the room with quality audio and performs good.
3. Wont support the vert old Classic iPods (2007, 30 GB) - Don't know if still many people own these. But, i have one and its not supported on the dock. You can use the AUX instead.

Note-
1. Some people may face sound drops when using Airplay. Its mainly because of the wifi interference and poor wifi signal. Keep it at a location where the signal strength from your router is good. You can also try adjusting your channel in the router.
Sharing this because many people blame the speakers for the issue.
2. These are not portable speakers. If you want something to carry around, its not for you. It doesn't have a built in battery and is meant to stay at a place.
3. Non apple device owners may not like it unless you ready to use the AUX option.

At this price its a deal and a very good Airplay speaker. If you have limited budget, you won't regret the purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke after 6 months and discontinued by Logitech, so no spare parts., 25 Jan. 2014
This is the second I have had of these and it's broken after just six months due to the device's 16v @ 3amp overworked power supply. The first one didn't actually play music from the AUX input, just airplay so was returned to Richer Sounds. This one has worked perfectly over the last few months and we all enjoyed it (bar comments made below in my initial review) until the power just gave up unexpectedly.

I wrote to Logitech asking for a replacement power supply. At first they said it was out of stock, ok fair enough. Next they said they would have to replace the whole system and would send a courier to pick it up, annoying, but ok. When I sent them my address, they then told me that the device was no longer supported and so they cannot either fix the item or replace it. GRRR!!!

So MAYBE LOGICTECH WARRANTIES ARE NOT WORTH THE PAPER THEY ARE WRITTEN ON and I just have a dead piece of plastic.

They suggested I try taking it back to Richer Sounds and get another replacement, however after already doing that once making this the second faulty device, and the fact that they no longer support it, I can no longer advise the purchase of this item by anyone.

*[end edit]*

Here is my previous review:

The sound is ok, loud enough and sounds clear (below 75% and on a good wifi connection) and looks great, plus easy to set up.
The downsides are:
- the fact that it doesn't support older ipods or have the connection for future ipods/iphones.ipads, so is very 'current'.
- Doesn't work with android phones or older computers
- No remote control
- Airplay only- one major problem for us in a shared house is that for every new connection from, say one phone to another, the device is at the volume that the new connecting phone/device is at- meaning anyone one on the network playing a tune from itunes controls the volume at a new level. So, the volume keeps blasting up... it would have been trivial for the developers to send the volume of the previously connected device to the new connecting device and setting it so there is a nice cohesive change from device to device. There is no master volume with multiple devices in short, letting the more 'outrageous' people at your house party take over in a very annoying way, if you know what I mean!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Nightmare to set up, 8 Mar. 2014
Gary Best "dbchud" (Exeter, UK) - See all my reviews
Unlike many I have found this device a nightmare to connect to, on occasion I manage to get a connection and stream music to it but more often that not the device isn't picked up by AirPlay devices (even with the Firewall turned off). I bought this in August 2013 and have had to go through the set up process countless times without any luck (I have just spent another 2 hours fighting with it). Odds me of lobbing this in the bin are reasonably high. That aside the sound is pretty good when it works and it looks pretty neat. Would love to recommend this but can't based on the issues I have had with the device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great speaker for price, 20 Oct. 2013
Bought this speaker as I wanted an airplay speaker and I noticed this due to its nice styling then noticed the price drop to under £100 so I bought it it's amaZin easy set up and sounds and looks amaZin for this price

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 28 Dec. 2013
Mrs. K. Cook (UK) - See all my reviews
I brought this in the lightning deals and am very pleased with this.

I got this for my son for Christmas to play his music from his iPhone on. Upon opening the package I did find it was bigger than I thought it was going to be though.
I found it quite simple to set up and I didn't realise he would be able to play his music from his phone wirelessly through Airplay. He can also use this to charge up his iPhone too through the docking station without having to take off his phone cover.

It was set up within minutes (you had to download and app for the phone first) and the sound is better than I expected and the volume also goes up nice and loud without distorting the sound. I can't find any fault with this item and am very happy with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Value for money, 15 Jan. 2014
Having brought one of these before xmas I have returned and brought a second for the kitchen. For around £100, there is nothing that compares in my opinion. They look sleek, the sound is excellent, the set up is easy and intuitive - they just work.

Only downside I have come across is that it has some issues with the WIFI signal when the mircowave is on - but have researched it, WIFI and microwaves don't get on so it's not the devices fault at all.

Unsure? Buy it.

Please note; This is primarily an Airplay device, so if you don't have Apple hardware, it probably wont give you the same experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Brilliant., 5 Feb. 2014
I've always been a huge fan of Logitech. I've bought their mice, keyboards and various other peripherals for many years now, and their attention to detail and quality of design and construction has always been excellent.

Their UE Air Speaker is a revelation if you need high-quality, wireless, semi-portable audio. It's compact, good to look at, and delivers superb audio quality for it's size. It is not audiophile quality, but nothing in a case this size possibly could be. But for anything other than the most demanding recordings, it comes pretty close.

Physical situation is important, of course. Mine sits on a shelf, four inches away from a stone wall, and it sounds superb. Push it back a few inches and it starts to 'boom'. But what would you expect from a speaker unit with rear-facing bass-ports?

At £99, it's a no-brainer. But I'd hesitate to buy at the original price of three-times as much.

Thanks (as always) to Richer Sounds too. Great service, prompt delivery, and peace of mind too.

All in all ... 5 well-deserved stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great addition, 1 Jan. 2014
This unit has the looks.
The sound is also great, but not as much bass as I'd like it to have.

You can drive the sound up to its max without having distortion, at least I haven't had any problems with that.
I would have given it a higher ranking if it came with a remote control.

when it goes into standby mode, none of my iGadgets will wake it up. I have to press a button on the unit to make it come alive again.
Maybe I have a faulty unit?
My PC using airfoil will wake it up from standby so there must be a limitation to when I use an iPhone or iPad? Perhaps a firmware will cure this?

Unit comes well packed

It's easy to get to work as:

- plug its power supply unit on the back (yes you cannot plug the power cord straight into the unit)
- download its dedicated App onto one of you iGadgets so you can configure it with your WIFI network
- that's it. once that is done the unit is good to receive airplay requests.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic set of wireless speakers!, 4 Jan. 2014
PJ B'ham (Birmingham, U.K. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Recommended this set of speakers to a friend who was looking for some speakers to enhance the music they listened to from an iPad. This unit was in competition with some other well known hi-fi brand models familiar to my friend, but I assured them of Logitech's credentials in making quality audio products.
Setup was a little fiddly because the manual missed a step or two in instructing users how to configure the unit with the iPhone or iPad, but once connected ... my friend was absolutely blown away by the sound of this unit and was glad that they didn't opt for the smaller products available at the time.
We had a bit of a party as we played one track after another to test clarity of sound, volume, depth of bass, cleanness of treble, etc.
FANTASTIC PRODUCT! Opens up the possibility of enjoying one's digital music library almost anywhere without cables.

Logitech UE Air Speaker (discontinued by manufacturer)
Used & New from: £189.56