on 31 October 2013
Ok where do you possibly start to praise this lens.
It's a perfect marriage for the NEX7, the manual focus ring is smooth and precise.

The image quality absolutely superb and crisp.
The broken effect with the bright F1.8 is brilliant.
the 24mm is equivalent to 36mm lens on 35mm camera.
This lens is perfect for landscape and close town photography low light indoor to.

I was doubtful whether to pay that price and if I could justify having the 24mm focal length as it's covered by SEL1855 kit lens! Well it its well worth it and knock's the socks of the kit lens.

This lens is a perfect marriage for the NEX7 taking fully advantage of your mega-pixels.
OK its a tad expensive but if you thinking of buying an additional lens get this one.
you rely wont be disappointed if not truly gob smacked by the crisp quality and its operation.
I rely cannot find anything wrong with it, so no point listing all the good points.

PS also worth getting a decent protective glass.
i.e. B + W Filter 49mm UV Filter With Multi Resistant Coating
From this site.
on 10 October 2013
This is - in my opinion - the best Nex lens money can buy (at the time of writing this mini review: October 2013) and perhaps the only lens which can match Nex7's sensor resolution. The colour and microcontrast are simply superb. It is almost glued to my Nex7. The build quality is very good too, but since it is all metal it gets scratched quite easily. The only problem is asking price. Get it if you can afford it (and justify the purchase). But don't worry if you can't - there are excellent Sigmas 19/2.8 and 30/2.8 substitutions and strangely these happen to be one of the cheapest lenses on Nex system. Obviously build quality and the way lens feels are nowhere near this SEL24F18Z. By the way this lens is build by Sony with Zeiss branding and perhaps Quality Control.
I am not a pro, some of my images were taken with this lens and can be seen at [...] (my Tumblr photo blog).
on 25 May 2015
GREAT MATCH WITH MY SONY NEX 7. IMAGE QUALITY IS GREAT.
on 18 July 2015
Fantastic quality lens for it's price.
on 24 June 2014
I own most of the NEX lenses at the moment. Before I had this lense my favourite two lenses where the 18-200mm for versatility and the 50mm for sharpness and low light. Although the 50mm never quite fully suited my needs and the focal length doesn't do well at all in close quarters if you want to capture a whole scene but it was a lot cheaper than the Zeiss. Now I have the Zeiss this has replaced the 50mm for most frequent use its great and the macro capability is great. It gives you more shooting options I use this and the 18-200mm mostly. Not to day the 50mm isn't good its great very sharp not as sharp as the Zeiss though. The 24mm lenses' only flaw is that you need a steadier had than all the other lenses as there is not steady shot. All three f these lenses are great.
on 23 October 2014
Think it will take me a while to see the full value of this quite expensive prime lens due to me being massively amateur as a photographer. Willing to learn though and sure will see the improvement in pictures using this lens once I get the hang of the right situations for it.