5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!
Published on 9 Sept. 2008 by Salsera

3.0 out of 5 stars Nearly There...
Published on 19 Dec. 2011 by Boot-Boy

3.0 out of 5 stars Nearly There..., 19 Dec. 2011
Boot-Boy (Gloucestershire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
To be perfectly frank there are many better survival books than this one ('Touching the Void', 'Into Thin Air'), but Yossi Ghinsberg's nerve-wracking record of three weeks lost and alone in the Amazon jungle is still a credible and creditable contender, a grim and harrowing tale of human endurance against all the odds. In the early pages the writing style may be a little 'student travel journal' - the usual gap-year back-packer memoir - but once the expedition is under way there's a noticeable change of gear as Ghinsberg and his three friends go deeper into the jungle, and stray further away from civilization. From the comfort of one's armchair it's frustrating, even annoying, to see how foolish, amateur and trusting they are, completely underestimating the dangers of the environment in which they find themselves and allowing petty jealousies, weaknesses and rivalries to destabilise and ultimately fracture the group dynamic. But this is just the taster, setting the scene for what lies ahead. When the author is finally separated from his friends and finds himself alone in the jungle the real story begins, and the pace and power of the narrative picks up dramatically. What Ghinsberg goes through in his desperate three-week ordeal really does seem to go beyond the scope of human endurance, and the fact he survives (just) is testament to a steely streak of determination and self-belief not evident in the earlier parts of the book. Along the way there are some truly disturbing set pieces (the termite attack is grotesquely unpleasant), and it is these skin-crawling horrors as much as his coming-of-age resolve to win through that make his story worth this recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 9 Sept. 2008
You don't have to be into travelling to enjoy this book - I found it to be utterly gripping as a story in its own right. True, the writing style isn't sophisticated, but that didn't take anything away for me. In the genre of 'Touching the Void', I was left turning each page gagging to know what was going to happen next. And all from the safety of my own armchair. Marvellous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost in the Jungle - A must read for travel and adventure lovers, 26 Aug. 2008
I loved this book - yes in parts it maybe the writing style isn't as polished as some books you see on the shelf, but I feel this only highlights how young Yossi was when he took this trip and reflects a young man's voice. The story feels real and raw, rather than it has been tampered with and over edited. Absolutely amazing story which shows unbelievable strength of character, in short a real page turner which I would thoroughly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Read, 16 July 2008
Sarah Mountford (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm not usually interested in travel books, but my housemate is just setting off for Brazil and is reading everything concerning the Amazon she can get her hands on. So I decided to have a leaf through its pages, while waiting for my dinner to cook.

...Six hours later I put it down. I almost forgot I was reading a biography rather than a novel. Ghinsberg manages to transport you back to the event with such ease and fluidity that you can't help but continue to read. Instead of pages and pages of description, Ghinsberg uses a lot of dialogue, which helps readers like me, who are not regulars of the travel genre, to easily follow the action. At every turn for the worst my heart began to race, I kept all my lights on, just in case fire ants happened to be lurking in my living room.

I recommend this book to readers of non-fiction and fiction alike. Ghinsberg's story is truly disturbing and will rival any good thriller.

5.0 out of 5 stars No spoilers here. Sold over a million copies. Well worth reading., 25 Jun. 2014
Mister G (Bristol) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lost in the Jungle: A Harrowing True Story of Adventure and Survival (Kindle Edition)
I suggest not reading too many reviews, and definitely not Googling the book as it can give parts of the story away. I did both after completing it and am very pleased I did not do so before buying it.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book [Edit: so much so that I am re-reading it, and once you know the whole story you pick new things up the second time around]. It is true that it takes a long time to get to the incident that leads to being `lost in the jungle' (I am deliberately being vague on that as I am trying not to give anything away) but, to my surprise, I am pleased that it took that long. The build-up is relevant to the rest of the book - you need to get to know the characters. It also helps to put you in the position of the people involved.

I read the book in just three days. The events happened a long time ago - in 1982. As the author is Israeli, the book was a big hit in Israel; the story spread from there. A whole tourist industry has built up around it - people want to visit the area where it happened, not just because of the story but primarily because the area is so stunningly beautiful, and due to the diverse flora and fauna. I can see why - after reading the story, you might find yourself drawn to a trip to the area.

The fact that the book has sold over a million copies suggests that it is worth reading. I have to say that there are elements of the story that I found frustrating - but that is due to the characters, their decisions and how they treat each other rather than the way the book is written. For that reason, while I am tempted to rate it as 4 stars, I will leave it at 5.

I did not like some of the characters, and warmed most to the one portrayed the least well. I actually did not like the way the author comes across for various reasons.

The way characters are portrayed is of course entirely in the hands of the author - we only hear his side of the story.

You find yourself incidentally learning about survival techniques, what to do if in that situation - and what not to do.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Well worth a read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow starter, 20 Mar. 2013
This book was a very slow starter but got there in the end. Really good story if you get past the first few chapters.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 28 Aug. 2012
I read this book on holiday. I found it easy to read (it only took about 1.5 days to finish) but also very interesting. For this reason it is a great book to take away. I would recommend this book to anybody who is interested in the survival/true stories genre as it well written.

3.0 out of 5 stars Travel Misadventure, 25 July 2011
The book opens with Yossi Ghinsberg's `Acknowledgements'. A page and a half of flowery, gushing, quasi-mystical thank yous. This didn't auger well. Yossi Ghinsberg's writing style is pretty basic. I wonder if this is a translation - which might explain his style.

I have read a few accounts of what could be labelled Travel Misadventures, Personal Disasters, or Idiots Taking Silly Risks & Living To Tell The Tale. These include, Touching The Void, Into Thin Air, The Climb, and Into The Wild. For the first two thirds of this book I concluded that "Lost In The Jungle" was not up to the same standard, however I was gripped by the last third of the book and he certainly has an extraordinary tale to tell. At the end of the book he also touches on how his near death experience shaped the rest of his life and I was impressed by what he has gone on to achieve.

Overall I rate this 3/5. It's worth reading and I feel Yossi's tale will stay with me. That said if you've yet to read Touching The Void or Into Thin Air, then I would suggest reading those first as I think they're both more accomplished and interesting books that explore similar themes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost in the Jungle, 10 Feb. 2011
I have just finished reading this book and it was great. As a previous reviewer says the writing style is not sophisticated but for me that made it easier to read. I kept not wanting to put the book down as I needed to know what happened next, even though you know he survives because he wrote the book!

Recommended for those who like adventure travel stories.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not your average travel guide..., 13 Nov. 2008
Having never been interested in travel writing per se, I was surprised to find myself having a look at this book. I'm really glad I did, however - a train journey from Germany to London flew by once I'd started. I am sure that, after reading a few pages, putting Lost in the Jungle down and leaving it for an houror two is an impossibility.

While the author evokes the humid and hostile terrain well, the prose style is simple and un-flowery - the situation is so unusual and intense it really doesn't need anything else. Definitely recommended - especially for the wannabe Ray Mears in your life.