5.0 out of 5 stars engaging and hollistic...., 21 Jan 2012
J. DOUGLAS "Johnny Douglas" (Nr London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Mission is a vogue language. It is endangered language for the more commonplace it is, the more complacent or apathetic we could become. This is a rich and at times dense work that masterfully sets the scene for a faithful, obedient and holistic mission. DeYoung and Greg Gilbert argue that the unique and main mission of the church is making disciples. Their concerns are that we have defaulted to social transformation as a greater ease, rather than the renewal of the city through the power of the Gospel as manifest in the mission of the local church. Part two is a chewy sweep of five larger theological themes. This is a timely and eminently engaging book for all those who care deeply about the churches mission in our day. This is more than just theological rigour as to what might be core in our church communities but as a call to obedient, biblically informed action, in the face of apathy and distraction. Thoroughly challenging.

4.0 out of 5 stars The mission is the Great Commission, 5 July 2012
G. J. Weeks (London) - See all my reviews
What is the church meant to be doing, evangelism or social action? The authors clearly show that the Great Commission defines the role of the church. She is there to preach the gospel, making disciples and teaching them. As to a ministry of social justice, one may be surprised that it is only when well into the second chapter on the subject that a definition is attempted. I think the book's methodology and conclusions are biblical and helpful. What surprised me was no reference to any concept of sphere sovereignty whereby Christians may act together in Christ's name but not as church.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good attempt at a wide-ranging Biblical engagement, 8 Feb 2012
So just what is the mission of the church? Is everything mission or does Scripture define our mission more narrowly? DeYoung and Gilbert attempt to answer these questions in their wide-ranging book, which is divided into three main parts relating to defining the church's mission and our categories, as well as understanding what we do and why we do it.

I felt that the methodology of the argument was clear and well-organised, yet the book remained relatively readable. I didn't agree with all that the authors proposed, although I felt that they should be recognised for their desire to give full importance to the centrality of the gospel of Jesus' death and resurrection.

Particularly to be commended in this book is the sense that the authors have engaged with Scripture in an informed way and as fully as is possible in a book of this size. However, it is perhaps the size of the book which is also its greatest weakness. With fewer than 300 pages, it would be unlikely that this book could give sufficient coverage to the issues it raises and it was my opinion that various matters were treated in an overly-simplistic manner. This unfortunately made me question whether those other aspects of the argument outside of my own expertise were equally simplistic, with the effect that the credibility of this book's proposal was undermined for me.

My views on this one are mixed; maybe you need to read it and make your own mind up!

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb summary of the Church's mission, 11 May 2014
Every now and again you read a book that makes a significant impact on you. This book by Kevin de Young is one of those. In fact it's a very long time since I've underlined so much or made as many marginal notes for future reference. He first examines the Great Commission commands of Jesus and explores the meaning of the actual word 'Mission' itself. He reminds us, from a wealth of NT texts that the core of the Church's mission is still to proclaim Christ and his word - repentance, faith, baptism and discipleship. He deals in detail with the issues raised by Jesus' teaching of the Kingdom and in the latter part of the book weighs up the various interpretations of what living and preaching the Kingdom of God mean on a global scale . His conclusion, again well evidenced from scripture, is that we should be taking every opportunity to bring Kingdom values to the world, sharing the compassion and social justice of God, but that to do a Kingdom work we first have to in the kingdom - servants of the King. In the end what will change the world is not social reform programmes but the transforming power of Christ; so this remains the prime mission of the Church.
This is a book one could easily use as the basis of a church teaching series or put into the hands of a young preacher. Church leaders could find it a useful way to stay focussed on what matters most - to keep the main thing the main thing. I hugely recommend it, and I only wish it had been available to read a generation ago. If you only read one book this year on what the Church is for, make it this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars great book to read about the meaning of the church, 2 April 2013
Andreas Dirksen "adirksen" (london, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What Is the Mission of the Church?: Making Sense of Social Justice, Shalom, and the Great Commission (Kindle Edition)
It is a well written book starting with a lot of references of the bible to explain where he come from. It makes you think deeper about our meaning in the society and challenges. It received 4stars as it seemed written towards all christians involved in serving but in the middle I came across lots of discussions I was not aware about. I would def recommend this book if you try to see how you can serve God more in your environment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, 29 Feb 2012
Daniel Pollin (Belfast, N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
A detailed and thoughtful book that seeks to discern what the scriptures say about the mission of the church. Both authors write with a clarity and directness which is essential in this ever growing debate about what the mission of the church should be, social Gospel - Evangelistic gospel etc etc. Their conclusions are biblical and they examine each text that arises in the debate with faithfulness and practical application. Will be of great help to the Pastor/laymen who seeks to serve the Lord faithfully through the local church.