Format: Audio CD|Change

on 17 June 2001
Operation Doomsday is the best work from doom since KMD's first album. The shining point of this album is how he has expanded on his lyrical content since his other work to make a creative, lyrically deep album that is a refreshing breeze blowing away tired attempts of Jay-z and other commercial rappers repetitive storys of '' hoes and dough''.The beats sublimely fit around his rhymes with a chilling feel and a constant beat. The idea of Dr.Doom is original and adds an intersting twist leaving Mf Dooms album in a class of its own and possibly a classic and a much needed break ( along with kutmasta kurt/masters of illusion ) from hiphops dissapointing form at the moment.
on 19 September 2014
MF DOOM'S Operation: Doomsday (1999), the seminal debut album by the metal faced villain/rapper. This was DOOM's return to the hip-hop game after his brother died, an event which we hear referenced in the lyricism, the songs on here feature DOOM's now characteristic cartoon samples, unrelenting flow and the smart and thought provoking bars which we all know him for.
This album has been reissued time after time on almost every format but of course what we're interested in is the vinyl. This time DOOM himself has re-released his album on his own label: Metal Face Records. This particular set includes 4 black vinyl records containing the remastered album along with alternate versions, b-sides and instrumentals. A 32-page lyric book and a set of Doomsday MC's Cards. The music itself sounds great to me, although I don't have a trained ear so it's possible I'm missing something.

The Packaging

The records come packed in a metal case, embossed with the metal mask logo. My copy was slightly dented but this doesn't bother me too much. The bottom of the case has a black velvet insert, where the last record makes contact.

Lyric book

Inside you see the 32-page lyric book The book includes some cool artwork and of course all of the lyrics, the presentation really fits with the theme of the album.

Card Set

Next there's a set of Doomsday MC's Cards. They feel just like regular trading cards (think Pokemon) printed on nice card. On the flip side of the cards you see various black and white images which are a puzzle, when you put them together this is what you see Which I now see is a picture of DOOM, although it took me a while

Records

Next comes the records themselves. My version is black vinyl but I've seen releases which come pressed on colored vinyl. The records are separated by colored sheets of paper with seem to be coated with an anti static plastic. The records feel pretty lightweight but that's okay. They were also slightly warped but not enough to be audible and I hear it's quite common.

Overall this is a really excellent set which sounds great. I would recommend this to all DOOM fans who appreciate music on wax, all of the extras feel very high quality and add a lot to the experience.
Thanks for reading!
VINE VOICEon 5 December 2003
I didn't think I would have to review this, seeing as it should be at least a 4 1/2 star rating. Seeing that it's slightly lagging meant I felt I should add some comments of my own.
When I first bought this back in early 2002 I did so having read how it was a "classic". I have to admit, on my first listen I thought I'd been had ! The first track was great, with a great hook on it. Then after this the album seemed to turn in to the worst thing I'd heard in ages !
Having skipped through it all in a matter of 10 or so minutes, I didn't listen to it again until the next day when I'd had a few drinks. I played it to a mate of mine. Rather than disecting it, it played in the background and I gave it another chance. This time round I warmed to a few of the tracks, tho some still sounded awful !
To make a long story a bit shorter (!), this albums a grower. A year afterwards i was still learning to appreciate certain tracks which I'd always ignored for some reason or other. Maybe this isn't for some people, but to have an album which gets better every time you listen to it to me is a "Classic". Almost 2 years on and I still love this album.
I warn you tho, there are at least 2 tracks which production wise you may NEVER warm too ! But I assure you that after a few months the lyrics will become second nature to you, and some of the tracks will be the best you've heard in years !
This got me hooked on Doom, and nothing else compares now. I eagerly await every release, as do a growing rabble of hardcore fans.
This album is the start of something VERY special. (if you are to ignore the KMD era)
After you buy this, wait a few months and buy the Monsta Island Czars album, and the 2 remix albums (both of which have great solo tracks and bonus tracks), then the King Geedorah album just for a few of the skit tracks/beats and some of the better Doom tracks, then Viktor Vaughn (the best since Doomsday).
This will bring you up to date with Doom. Believe me, 2004 is going to be a BIG year for Doom. 2003 has been excellent.
Once your hooked on Doom, there is no looking back.
on 30 October 2005
Operation: Doomsday has to be one of the best, if not the best indie Hip Hop album ever. Before i first heard it a year and a half ago, my attention span for Hip Hop in general was starting to waver. After 10 years of dedication to the music, the production line of 1 dimensional MCs and lackluster production values in the mainstream had stretched my patience to breaking point. However the underground scene does have plenty of talent.

Tick...Tick...DOOM

That's the best way i can describe my reaction to hearing Doomsday for the first time. The opening Skit "Time we Faced DOOM" with it's sample vocals from the movie Wild Style & the Fantasic 4 cartoon series sets the listener up for what will be a rather different listening experience.

"Doomsday" is a great first track, showing DOOM as a master of sampling, by borrowing drums used by BDP back in the day and a familiar Sade track, enlisting R&B Singer Pebbles to sing the hook.

"Rhymes Like Dimes" is a great, almost whimsical track, featuring more than a few quotables such as "Only in America could you find a way to make a healthy buck, and still keep your attitude on self-destruct" Genius.

"The Finest" features rapper Tommy Gunn and has a rhythm which is hard to decribe. Another really good addition which keeps the albums momentum going.

"Back in the Days" is a skit, again using a Fantasic 4 sample. This time featuring Mr Fantasic when he was at school with fellow student: Victor Von Doom.

"Go With The Flow" again showcases DOOM's cavalier approach to sampling, borrowing from ex Juice Crew rapper, Kool G Rap. DOOM even goes as far to admit "With no hands, I chop these drums off, truly yours, G Rap" Nicely done Mr Dumile.

"Tick Tick" is a very experimental track, one which takes a couple of listens to really get the vibe. MF Grimm is featured on his own here, his flow speeding up and slowing down in time with the music (which is a sample from the end of "Glass Onion" by The Beatles).

"Red and Gold" introduces us to one of DOOM's many alter egos, King Ghidra (which he would later change to King Geedorah, and release the album "Take me to Your Leader" with members of his crew: Monster Island Czars). It's a top track, with a very oriental feel.

"The Hands of DOOM" is another Skit. Victor Von Doom is going ahead with an experiment which backfires, before changing to more Wild Syle audio with the main character Zorro describing his artwork to his girlfriend, which incorporates his representation of The Hands of Doom.

"Who You Think I Am?" is a group track featuring King Ceasar, Rodan, Megalon, Kamakiras and Kong from M.I.C. It brings back memories of the Wu-Tang when they were grimey and raw. It's a testament to the group's potential that it comes off just as nicely as the Wu.

"DOOM, Are You Awake?" is a Skit which follows on from "The Hands of DOOM" with Victor Von Doom waking up in hospital with facial injuries, sustained after the failed experiment. His bandages are removed revealing a horribly twisted face and goes into hiding.

"Hey" is a haunting track. It has to be the only track that can use Scooby Doo samples (including Scooby's vocals) and create a credible Hip Hop Track. Masterful!!!

"Operation: Greenbacks" has a sublime string/drum combo and again features Megalon next to DOOM as King Ghidra.

"The MIC" Contruary to what you may initially think, this is not a Monster Island Czars collabo, but DOOM doing his thing over a melodic rhythm with crashing drums. Pebbles makes an appearance again here.

"Mystery of DOOM" Skit time again, with Susan Richards of the Fantastic 4 asking what became of Victor Von Doom. Little does she know that Victor, now Dr Doom, is about to appear, ready to clear up "the mystery of Doom's transition".

"Dead Bent" is one of the best tracks on the album, which I believe samples an isaac hayes song. A+ Production, A+ Lyrics.

"Gas Drawls" comes in after "Dead Bent" with DOOM half rapping, half talking over a sluggish beat. - The super villain, cooler than a million - Sums it up perfectly.

"?" Another of the best beats on the album, featuring Kurious of the Constipated Monkey crew. It opens with Dr Doom describing how his servants have created a Metal Suit, complete with Mask to conform to his twisted features - "and it fits" proclaims Doom.

"I Hear Voices" is the bonus track on Operation: Doomsday. DOOM switches up his flow to suit a track seemingly ripped directly from a Saturday morning cartoon show. It doesn't immediately grab you as a good track but it really grows on you. Doom declaires his plan to turn the Fantastic 4 into statues with liquid titanium steel and destroy every major city in the world, unless the politicians vote to recognise him as world ruler. They refuse to be ruled by a tyrant. "Very well, you shall suffer the consequences" states Doom. "5..4..3..2.." Then something crashes through the door of the lair. "GRIMM" Doom shouts. The CD stops there, alluding to the fact that Ben Grimm has gotten to him just in time to save the world from Doomsday.

I cannot recommend this album highly enough. From it's cartoon strip like cover, the excellent lo-fi production values to the quality of the rhymes (DOOM's flow on this album sounds like what would happen if Ghostface & Raekwon somehow had a baby & ODB spat in it's mouth for good measure).

If you enjoyed this album your next port of call should be Viktor Vaughn's "Vaudeville Villain" and then Madvillain's "Madvillainy" both of which are aliases of DOOM, and are excellent albums.
on 11 April 2013
Definitely the best album by DOOM, to this day. This was back when he probably didn't exepect to reach out to such a massive worldwide audience as he has. So his lyrics were still very intimate and deep, referring to things he has only revealed in obscure interviews.
on 24 February 2015
Totally phenomenal record, very highly recommended. Amongst the all time best hip hop records out there undoubtedly.
on 7 November 2015
Excellent quality. Arrived well ahead of time.

Amazing album to go with the service.
on 18 December 2015
Amazing debut album from the supervillain himself, DOOM
review image review image
on 16 December 2014
top price and product great all round.
on 20 January 2016