1,110 of 1,137 people found the following review helpful
I have upgraded from several Nuvis, including the Nuvi which is replaced by this one, the Nuvi 2460LT, and I am much happier with this latest Nuvi. And here's why:

Published on 3 Mar 2012 by Mr. T. White

2.0 out of 5 stars CAUTION ABOUT 7.20 SOFTWARE UPDATE, DON'T DO IT
########PLEASE READ ON#########
This is my second Garmin 2595LMT, the first went back after a few days with it being stuck in demo mode and problems with updating the software.
Published 21 months ago by Tim C

1,110 of 1,137 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Setting The Record Straight. This is a very Good Nuvi. Here's why., 3 Mar 2012
Mr. T. White (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Garmin nuvi 2595LMT 5" Sat Nav with UK and Full Europe Maps, Free Lifetime Map Updates and Free Lifetime Traffic Alerts and Bluetooth (Electronics)

Near instant re-routing when a wrong turn is taken - I have owned 4 other Nuvi's in my time, and I have never seen such fast re-routing, if I should take a wrong turn or attempt to vary my route when driving. Within two seconds this 2595LMT will recalculate a new route. This is most impressive, and shows that the processor in this and/or its coding is far superior to that used in previous models.

Lifetime Map updates - I am very happy with the way maps are updated on my Windows 7. My ISP does not use any form of "bandwidth shaping" or "protocol management" and so I am able to download and install entire maps from Garmin's servers in well under an hour. Others may not be aware that their ISP is to blame for any slowness in updating maps, and if so, I would strongly advise that you change your ISP to one that provides a 'clean connection' for your money, and you too will have no lengthy delays in updating maps from Garmin's servers. Any ISP that promises that they manage bandwidth for the majority of their users should be avoided as that simply means that they have under-invested in network capacity and must make up for such by slowing down how their customers use the internet!

Does this Garmin bring me down dodgy laneways etc.? No! I am in central London and so far, I have been pleased enough with its routing. Of course, it is no match for personal knowledge of short-cuts. But that would, I would argue, be expecting too much in a city of the size of London - never mind the fact that full European mapping is included. For this is a machine and must be given credit for bringing me on a relatively straightforward routing whenever I've called upon it to take me across London.

The Lifetime map upgrades are supported by advertising - is it intrusive? Not at all. And I absolutely abhor ads with a passion (when I was younger I tried to get into advertising, but apparently I was... 'not wanted', and so I've hated everything that advertising stands for with a passion ever since!). Trust me I really do hate ads, but the occasional ads which appear are tiny and barely noticeable, nor any distraction whatsoever. So full marks to Garmin for being sensitive as to drivers' needs when it came to how they would subsidise lifetime map updates. So far so good.

Does the Voice Control work well? Yes, I have had no difficulties using it. Although it is slightly different to the way it worked in the former Nuvi (which I had to return because it switched itself off occasionally when Voice was used). Before you had to speak the Town, then the street, then the house number, and then it would present a list of options which you could call out. In this latest Nuvi, you speak your destination all in one go and it would then attempt to calculate what you meant. More often than not, what I said would appear within the first four options which it returned as possibilities, and so I have been pretty happy so far with how it has worked. I will certainly use voice more and more for safety reasons in particular, as it is a very good reason to upgrade from another sat-nav - provided that you speak reasonably clearly. I would imagine that it would perform less well with muffled voices and strong accents.

I have had no problems with its mounting nor any aspect of this unit's performance. Nonetheless, thank you for your interest in my review, and I will be very happy, for the timebeing, to answer anyone's queries in the comments section below. Meanwhile, I would highly recommend this Nuvi over the four previous Nuvi's and one Tom Tom I've used.

UPDATE Please see my comment of 2nd July 2013 about its increasingly unimpressive sealed battery performance. Its sealed OEM battery is now lasting only half an hour, from full recharge, after only a year's usage. Hmmmm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!, 24 Feb 2012
RJ Monument "Bob" (England) - See all my reviews
Bought this as my old Tom Tom was very bulky and outdated. After reading reviews of Garmin generally decided to go with them rather than Tom Tom who charge for absolutely everything (map updates, traffic etc). The fact that map updates and traffic are included for the life of the unit persuaded me to buy this one. I had reason recently to undertake a trip from Northumberland to Beds, Bucks and Oxfordshire. The unit worked brilliantly including a traffic detour which saved me 30 minutes. It found and accurately directed me to the hotels that I stayed in. The voice command works perfectly and saves fiddling with the touch screen. I think some of the reviewers are being very picky, my understanding is that a human brain has the ability to ignore spurious directions and speed limits. This is a tool to help with driving directions not to replace common sense. You should have seen some of the routes my old Tom Tom tried to take me.
Overall a good product, speedily delivered by Amazon's partner and I would recommend it to anyone

2.0 out of 5 stars CAUTION ABOUT 7.20 SOFTWARE UPDATE, DON'T DO IT, 27 Nov 2012
########PLEASE READ ON#########
The software version on the original one was 6.10. Amazon great about sending out a replacement as usual. However after having several TOMTOM's before and often having problems after updating the software, I decided to jump ship to GARMIN. I use a windows 7 PC and pretty much know what I am doing. So this SAT NAV is great, great voice command, quickly finds satelites and no lag on the map screen when driving unlike my old TomTom. So after having it for three months, with no problems what-so-ever, decided to update the map with the life time map update, I WISH I HADN'T. Connecting to computer no problem and was offered software updates and map updates as usual. So No problem there. The software version originally loaded on the second device was 7.10, so my replacement was obviously a newer made model and updated from my previous version of 6.10 software. I just wish I had remembered about the problems updating the original device. SO I went through the software update procedure and software loaded no problems along with the latest version of the map. All loaded no problem's quite quickly as I have a reasonably fast internet connection. However, the following day, whilst out driving I used the voice command and selected by voice command 'FIND PLACE'. To my horror to unit just shut down and turned off, no warning nothing. So i booted it up and tried again, same problem. So did a factory reset and hey presto same problem when I try to use 'FIND PLACE' on the voice command feature. So I reloaded the version sofware version 7.20 via the web updater and still same problem. So infuriated with my second faulty satnav contacted GARMIN, and guess what there is a problem with the 7.20 software that they are aware of and other's user's have complained about after the software update. BUT unfortunatly, they don't know what the problem is and don't know when a fix to the software update will be released. SO no Iam left with a second faulty device that I can't use it's full fuctions and don't know if any other problems will develop due to this faulty update. SO MY ADVICE IS DON'T BOTHER WITH THE 7.20 SOFTWARE UPDATE and just use it as it is to avoid similiar issues. Also have tralled the internet and other people have posted the same problem. It's a great unit and I am glad I Changed from TOMTOM, but I am so disappointed and fed up with software updates that aren't fully tested before release, then mess up your machine when downloaded. I hope other user's find these finding's usefull.

29/11/12. True to their word, Garmin released a software update for the voice command problem to version. 7.50, a couple of days later. So downloaded it via web updated as advised, and the device still has the same problem with the error code RTL TRAP on the info developer screen. So I guess the problem still isn't.t fixed. Amazon excellent about exchanging it for a replacement. I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND this device as the functions are great and the voice command is excellent, but I will not dare update the software on the replacement again, and just go with the map updated when they become available.

1.0 out of 5 stars My third useless Garmin!, 12 Oct 2012
This was my third Garmin Sat Nav and this is the third Garmin that has failed to work as advertised! All three have been different models (see my previous review of the Nuvi 2515)and all three have suffered frustrating problems. See also other user reviews regarding the Garmin devices that will direct you off a main motorway route, only to take you straight back on to the same road by directing you up the opposite sliproad. I suffered this problem with my first model, as well as extremely short battery life when the unit was not permanently plugged in to a power supply.
My second model, the 2515 is reviewed separately, but although it was purchased for the benefits of Bluetooth and Route planning, I never had the chance to test the route planning facility as the Bluetooth connection to my mobile phone dialled different numbers to those selected and I rejected the unit! Having returned this model to Amazon as 'unfit for purpose' I attempted to find a Garmin that did not suffer software issues and was advised by Garmin support that the Nuvi2595LMT was free of any such problems. However, having purchased this model and spending over four hours loading the maps, I then discovered it suffered exactly the same Bluetooth problems as the 2515. I find it extremely frustrating that Garmin market these Sat Navs as Bluetooth compatible, only to discover and subsequently be informed by Garmin's customer support that only specific phones are fully compatible with their products. See: [...] to discover if your phone will work with a specific Garmin Sat Nav. This cross reference appears quite restrictive with the models that can be fully compatible to allow full use of the hands free facility of Bluetooth, so if the provision of this requirement is important to you, it would be well worth checking the compatibility of your mobile to a specific Garmin.
I've 'had it' with Garmins now, as it is far too much trouble trying to find a model that will actually do 'what it says on the tin', so to speak.
Between downloading maps, updating software, resetting the system when aspects fail to work, and having to contact Garmin so often for explanations and advice, I find the whole experience with this manufacturer totally exasperating and unacceptable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never skipped a beat all the way to Italy and back :O), 24 Jun 2013
My wife and i decided that for a change, this year, we would leave the grey clouds and cold evenings of the UK and venture into Europe for our holidays, more specifically Italy. I had my concerns, driving on the other side of the road, the arguments of map navigation and getting lost in some dodgy shanty town in a foreign country, so, i decided if we are budgeting for a holiday, then included in that budget, would be a brand new sat nav. Something i have never had or owned in my life. It seemed in the UK i could get around, by using the 'force'. however the force is strong in this one i thought to myself that surely it would not get me through a road trip to Italy. So my searching started, which sat nav, how much should i spend etc. etc
I started to read reviews and with every electronic product you buy these days there were goods ones, bad ones and some of a mixed review. Actually reading the reviews confused me even more and only added to my concerns that ' Am i going to spend 100-150 pound and end up like the 1 star reviwers - lost on roads, heading the wrong way, being told to turn left into a field or corrupting the device when updating maps, especially as we have our 3 young children coming with us.
I researched and from the reviews and people i spoke to regarding sat nav my biggest concerns were the cost of updating maps and having to load different countries on route. I then came across the Garmin nuvi 2595LM...
First of all the price was within my budget, secondly free lifetime maps and also full european navigation. Could this be exactly what i was looking for? So i bit the bullet and invested.
I still had my concerns, however i took it out of the box plugged it into my computer and visited the garmin website.
It did take a long time to update the latest maps, but we are talking the whole of Europe, so kind of expected it.
I used it in the UK and was impressed with the ease of use and amazed by the Lane assist. 'Wow' was my exact word.
The period between me buying the device and actually leaving for Italy was useful for me to get used to how everything worked. So good so far.
I then discovered the voice command, even with the engine running it still understood me, I m welsh too.;O)
Also during this time i had planned my trip using the 'trip planner'.
I did struggle to find the names of the campsites i was staying at, but the power of the internet gave me GPS co-ordinates and i was able to enter these as destinations. Again 'Wow'.
Then the day come, time to leave for France for an overnight stay and then onto San Vincenzo the following day to arrive in Italy.
Through out the whole journey the Sat Nav never sent me the wrong way, if i was diverted due to road works, it quickly re calculated and was back on track within seconds.
Every junction i needed to take, the lane assist kicked in and even when at service stations, with complicated exits, it new exactly where to send me to get me back on track.
Im by no means a sat nav expert, but for my 1st ever sat nav i give this device 5 stars and was, and still am very impressed with this product, now sat home in front of the tv, in exactly the time my sat nav told me i would be.
One very happy customer. I ve payed a one of price and now need to pay nothing more to get the full benefits of updates etc. the device was worth every penny i payed for it as my family and i are now sat safe in my home after enjoying a hassle free road trip and a fantastic holiday in Italy. Well done Garmin. Hats off to you!

2.0 out of 5 stars Discontinuation of my "Lifetime Updates, 20 April 2014
Please be advised when considering this and maybe any other Garmin satnav that a placard on my computer Garmin Express update screen on my computer effectively tells me that unless I update my operating system from Windows XP then my Lifetime Updates will be discontinued. This clearly removes a factor that significantly influenced my decision to buy this product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good overall - voice recognition great, 7 Jun 2012
I needed a European GPS after moving back, and had been using a Garmin 1490. I like the bigger screen, bluetooth and unlimited maps and traffic. I was a bit hesitant because the review average was lower than I would expect, but took the gamble on the voice recognition feature which I was not expecting to be good.

It arrived just as I was on my way out to the local shops so decided to fire it up and try it out. The interface is quite different to older Garmin models. At first it was defaulting to Mayfair in London even after getting satellites. It was quite frustrating because local searches for stores would list them in London and now where I am. After entering my 'home' location it seems to default to that, but I would expect this to default to my location as picked up by the satellite not my home or any other location.

My expectations for the voice recognition service were not high, but I was immediately surprised by the accuracy. Even more so in the car as I was expecting travel noise to be an issue. Also I was anticipating some learning by the device, but it has been fairly accurate on most attempts. The voice menu is different to the touch menu. For example I have not found a way yet of entering a postcode by voice which is a shame. Postcode is by far the easiest and quickest way of locating a place. Perhaps it makes less sense for a voice interface because people are much less likely to memorise a postcode than a street address, and we don't want people looking up the postal code while driving hands free.

It wasn't clear whether addresses should be read out in a conversational manner (e.g. ten main street as opposed to one zero main street). It seems to work well with natural phrases. One of the greatest benefits of voice is the ability to stop route and change brightness and volume during travel. One thing that bugged me at first was the voice would not only prompt me (useful for first couple of occasions but then a pain), and I would not be able to interrupt it but wait until it had finished. So for example

"Voice command"
- please speak your command
"Find Place"
- say the name of the place
"Starbucks"
- choose which match you mean
"3"
- would you like to navigate now
"Yes"

There is the option to avoid voice commands for the interface, so the above would be "Voice command... find place ... starbucks... 3 ... navigate" which is much quicker.

In the small number of journeys I have used it on, it has already told me to turn left when the turning is graphically and actually a right turn. Also some of the speed limits are not accurate, indicating a higher speed than is permitted which is a bit worrying. The route offered is also quite different to a much older UK garmin, but I at first put that down to the database. However I often override routes which turn out to be much better so not so keen on the routes it is giving me.

I liked the idea of smartphone connectivity but have found no way of connecting to my Blackberry so far. Also there is meant to be a feature where it learns your preferred routes, but it seems to ignore this. Also while on a journey I used to click the top of the screen then select show map to display the entire journey; a more useful view when on motorways or longer journeys without many changes. But this is a bit more fiddly now, with more clicks to get to making it less useful.

In concluding, I was a little disappointed that this seems almost identical to my old 1490, where I was expecting a much newer looking device. The holder and body look the same. The menu / interface is quite different and I appreciate that it is more responsive both in terms of navigation but also in terms of when typing and updating the map in real time. The 1490 was distinctively laggy in this regard, often resulting in confusion at junctions or mistyping words. I am still getting my head around the interface but the voice control is more than a novel feature but one that will improve safety and ease of use. For some reason it works well when I scowl and give it authoritative instructions but not so much when I use a friendly voice. It's miles ahead of my older model but so I was expecting it to be. Voice is great but I do find the new interface a bit frustrating, and its choices of routes don't instil confidence for routes I don't know, when it gives such lousy routing for routes I know well. I cannot think of another device I'd want right now in this price range so I'm satisfied overall. Updating the map is fiddly but I have always succeeded in getting that to work. I would definitely recommend this device to people comfortable with GPS and technological concepts such as voice recognition. A more expert user will definitely benefit from the 2595, but do put it through its paces while you still have an opportunity to return, in case you just don't click.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nuvi 2595 LMT for and against, 25 Mar 2012
Garmin nüvi 2595LMT 5 inch Screen Sat Nav with European Mapping, Lifetime Map Updates and Traffic Alerts and Bluetooth
The Nuvi arrived on time. I had deliberated for a long time about replacing my old TomTom ONE which has been a good device, not without software and firmware problems over the years, but always fixed without the need to send it back. I have had various Sat Navs for many years, including a very early Garmin with 64 MB of memory!

Pros and Cons for the Nuvi vs. buying a new TomTom? now I have used the new NUVI for a couple of long trips and planned several multi-country trips for the near future. There are some of each, but the postivers outweigh the negatives

First of all: It worked first time after charging for six hours. The owners manual (online only 88 pages) and the quick start leaflet included in the box only mention using the car lead, but the USB will do it, as will a mains charger with a usb socket, provided you check that it is the right voltage. Once charged, connect to the Garmin website, registered, and set about updating the map set for all of Europe, speed cameras etc. Be Patient! the Garmin website does not autoload on connection like TomTom Home, and there are a couple of downloaders to be installed. Once done, using FireFox on Windows XP SP3, with Micctosoft.Net, the download only took 40 minutes, whole process took about an hour.

This is where I found my first "cons". The Owners manual and some instructions online are not crystal clear, or are downright confusing to a new visitor to Garmin websties, after the ease of TomTom home. I have used the email support system twice, to confirm that the French "danger areas" were included, and to find out if Cyclops updates were included. the answers were prompt, accurate and relevant. My reading of the product info indicated it might be on the LMT, but that is not the case, updates are by an additonal subscription. Also I was hoping to use the "live services" as the product info said smartphones enabled this process. Not true. Only Android phones do this, not my iPhone! Although it does twin on Blutooth, I don't us that feature, as my car twins with the iphone for hands free use, including music. OK, I have now subscribed to camera updates, which I would have done with TomTom, but took the edge off the anticipation of a new improved device. I would also like to change the speed camera alert sounds, but cannot find out how that can be done.

On the positive side, my early use has convinced me I made the right choice, once I started to discover and use the many features that are included in the package, including Traffic info and map updates. I have not had the software or reliability problems that some other reviewers report. The traffic info is supplied by routemaster, on a TMC system, which will be around as long as FM radio keeps going. Setting up the device to do automatic detours/re-routes takes a bit of searching on the device, but worked well on two trips from Cornwall to Tyneside. The Cyclops safety alerts worked well, with fewer erroneous reports than on my old TomTom (Belt and braces I used both as a test). Accuracy was slightly better on the Nuvi on the roads, but it does not seem to have the same level of detail as Tom Tom for Services Carparks, or any car parks in general. I have never been sure that mapshare and shared camera reports have been too valuable on TomTom.

One outstanding NUVI feature was the intersection info and the excellent way it was presented.

Also, for me the itinerary planning on the Nuvi is superb, and it works, mostly. For some reason won't let me cross the channel using Plymouth Roscoff route, even though it appears in map view, and sends me through the channel Tunnel to reach Brittany, when I live within 45 minutes of Plymouth - I may have to get on to the support team again!

I am still discovering features I didnt expect (owners manual not covering all of them again), many of which are going to be useful, such as translator, detailed trip meter, and Eco Routing. As I said, I am no sure I have made the right decision, especially as new TomToms will not work with TomTom Home, and its replacement "My TomTom", is in my opinion shoddy, and unsupported by TT support! Also as TomTom re-structure their company (laid off hundreds this year) their stated intention is to concentrate on the fixed in car satnav market, and move away from portable devices, so the once excellent support (which has already deteriorated) will probably fade. So I look forward to a long relationship with the NUVI, and as I am getting older, it will, I am told, take me back to my car when I have forgotten where I left it. which for me is a reassuring feature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poor Tom Tom, 25 May 2012
Dave 1410 (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have always had Tom Tom since sat navs came out. I bought Live xl, all it was doing is sending me wrong. I have now got this Garmin and it leaves Tom Tom out in the cold playing catch up. It does everything and also on the map it shows everything, even where Mcdonalds and Burger king are and all those. Shame we don't go there. The user interface is great. I do agree the wire for the car is a little on the thick side, but it is a small price to pay. I don't think we would ever buy the perfect item.
I will say you only get so long to register your maps and there is a new version of the maps to download. I did all this before i used it. Then i took it on a route i know to see how it performed. It took me the way i know (not motorway tom tom) and it was bang on with my e.t.a. The traffic updates are a good bouns and you can also check the traffic in the local area.
All in all it is worth the 5 stars i have given it and i would have give it more but you can't so i will leave it at 5 stars+. It was well worth the money, but i do recomend the dashboard mount and then the wire is not all up the windowscreen. I am so glad i decided to change and it was people that have reviewed it that made my mind up for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Long distance nightmare!!!, 23 Jun 2014
If you buying it for long distance trips beware!!!, I bought it for my travel around Europe (Germany, Poland, Italy, Switzerland), I update maps day before start to make sure I got the latest update, when typed in my first destination (1300 miles according to google maps) sat-nav rejected it saying "distance too far, calculating alternative", I had to keep typing alternative cities on the way, but the real nightmare started at 2am when I was in Holland, sat-nav redirected me at one point off the motorway and and started to guided me through some small village for 20-30 miles !!!, My frustration reached the limits when it was trying to direct me to more and more suburbs routs, just imagine... you are in the middle of the nigh in the country that language and road sing you don't understand and this rubbish satnav is directing you instead of smooth motorways in to tractor roads!. I had to use data roaming in my phone to check where I am and how to get outta there! I was 20 miles from the closest motorway!. On the way to Italy i bought paper map just in case, and thank god I did that, as very similar situation happened again, on the motorway in Germany satnav started to directing me to some small city, but after one look at the map I new I should stay on motorway so I stayed.... and when I missed to junction satnav was showing the right way again...
Also those highly advertised "real life photos" are not real! They assume that if there is 4 lanes (2 left and 2 right) they all look the same! FALSE! they are all different, and many times if I would go as the "real picture" was showing I would go the wrong way!!! I've done 4000 miles on my trip and I didn't spot a single junction that would have real "picture" as satnav! Garmin should be legally responsible for such a false advertisement!.
Another issue - city ! I live in Glasgow and I know it very well, I tested this satnav on many occasions and in 50% of roads it was very inaccurate!, "shortest way" was never shortest! I was visiting my brother in London and this sh.... satnav instead of guiding me to motorway took me right through the city centre !!! and it was showing estimate time of 1,5h !!! it took me 3,5h !!! I think that it was assuming that London streets are completely empty and I am driving F1 car!!! Completely inaccurate travel time calculation !!
Live Traffic ? - phhhh forget it ! it's a laugh ! I got stuck in traffic on M25 and after 15 minutes standing in one place satnav came with warning "Traffic" and road that I was already on highlighted red... after 15 min.!!! I was so frustrated that I wanted to throw this thing out of the window!!!

Good advise - test it before you buy!!!