1,088 of 1,114 people found the following review helpful
I have upgraded from several Nuvis, including the Nuvi which is replaced by this one, the Nuvi 2460LT, and I am much happier with this latest Nuvi. And here's why:

Published on 3 Mar 2012 by Mr. T. White

2.0 out of 5 stars CAUTION ABOUT 7.20 SOFTWARE UPDATE, DON'T DO IT
########PLEASE READ ON#########
This is my second Garmin 2595LMT, the first went back after a few days with it being stuck in demo mode and problems with updating the software.
Published 20 months ago by Tim C

1,088 of 1,114 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Setting The Record Straight. This is a very Good Nuvi. Here's why., 3 Mar 2012
Mr. T. White (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Garmin nuvi 2595LMT 5" Sat Nav with UK and Full Europe Maps, Lifetime Map Updates and Traffic Alerts and Bluetooth (Electronics)

Near instant re-routing when a wrong turn is taken - I have owned 4 other Nuvi's in my time, and I have never seen such fast re-routing, if I should take a wrong turn or attempt to vary my route when driving. Within two seconds this 2595LMT will recalculate a new route. This is most impressive, and shows that the processor in this and/or its coding is far superior to that used in previous models.

Lifetime Map updates - I am very happy with the way maps are updated on my Windows 7. My ISP does not use any form of "bandwidth shaping" or "protocol management" and so I am able to download and install entire maps from Garmin's servers in well under an hour. Others may not be aware that their ISP is to blame for any slowness in updating maps, and if so, I would strongly advise that you change your ISP to one that provides a 'clean connection' for your money, and you too will have no lengthy delays in updating maps from Garmin's servers. Any ISP that promises that they manage bandwidth for the majority of their users should be avoided as that simply means that they have under-invested in network capacity and must make up for such by slowing down how their customers use the internet!

Does this Garmin bring me down dodgy laneways etc.? No! I am in central London and so far, I have been pleased enough with its routing. Of course, it is no match for personal knowledge of short-cuts. But that would, I would argue, be expecting too much in a city of the size of London - never mind the fact that full European mapping is included. For this is a machine and must be given credit for bringing me on a relatively straightforward routing whenever I've called upon it to take me across London.

The Lifetime map upgrades are supported by advertising - is it intrusive? Not at all. And I absolutely abhor ads with a passion (when I was younger I tried to get into advertising, but apparently I was... 'not wanted', and so I've hated everything that advertising stands for with a passion ever since!). Trust me I really do hate ads, but the occasional ads which appear are tiny and barely noticeable, nor any distraction whatsoever. So full marks to Garmin for being sensitive as to drivers' needs when it came to how they would subsidise lifetime map updates. So far so good.

Does the Voice Control work well? Yes, I have had no difficulties using it. Although it is slightly different to the way it worked in the former Nuvi (which I had to return because it switched itself off occasionally when Voice was used). Before you had to speak the Town, then the street, then the house number, and then it would present a list of options which you could call out. In this latest Nuvi, you speak your destination all in one go and it would then attempt to calculate what you meant. More often than not, what I said would appear within the first four options which it returned as possibilities, and so I have been pretty happy so far with how it has worked. I will certainly use voice more and more for safety reasons in particular, as it is a very good reason to upgrade from another sat-nav - provided that you speak reasonably clearly. I would imagine that it would perform less well with muffled voices and strong accents.

I have had no problems with its mounting nor any aspect of this unit's performance. Nonetheless, thank you for your interest in my review, and I will be very happy, for the timebeing, to answer anyone's queries in the comments section below. Meanwhile, I would highly recommend this Nuvi over the four previous Nuvi's and one Tom Tom I've used.

UPDATE Please see my comment of 2nd July 2013 about its increasingly unimpressive sealed battery performance. Its sealed OEM battery is now lasting only half an hour, from full recharge, after only a year's usage. Hmmmm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!, 24 Feb 2012
RJ Monument "Bob" (England) - See all my reviews
Bought this as my old Tom Tom was very bulky and outdated. After reading reviews of Garmin generally decided to go with them rather than Tom Tom who charge for absolutely everything (map updates, traffic etc). The fact that map updates and traffic are included for the life of the unit persuaded me to buy this one. I had reason recently to undertake a trip from Northumberland to Beds, Bucks and Oxfordshire. The unit worked brilliantly including a traffic detour which saved me 30 minutes. It found and accurately directed me to the hotels that I stayed in. The voice command works perfectly and saves fiddling with the touch screen. I think some of the reviewers are being very picky, my understanding is that a human brain has the ability to ignore spurious directions and speed limits. This is a tool to help with driving directions not to replace common sense. You should have seen some of the routes my old Tom Tom tried to take me.
Overall a good product, speedily delivered by Amazon's partner and I would recommend it to anyone

2.0 out of 5 stars CAUTION ABOUT 7.20 SOFTWARE UPDATE, DON'T DO IT, 27 Nov 2012
########PLEASE READ ON#########
The software version on the original one was 6.10. Amazon great about sending out a replacement as usual. However after having several TOMTOM's before and often having problems after updating the software, I decided to jump ship to GARMIN. I use a windows 7 PC and pretty much know what I am doing. So this SAT NAV is great, great voice command, quickly finds satelites and no lag on the map screen when driving unlike my old TomTom. So after having it for three months, with no problems what-so-ever, decided to update the map with the life time map update, I WISH I HADN'T. Connecting to computer no problem and was offered software updates and map updates as usual. So No problem there. The software version originally loaded on the second device was 7.10, so my replacement was obviously a newer made model and updated from my previous version of 6.10 software. I just wish I had remembered about the problems updating the original device. SO I went through the software update procedure and software loaded no problems along with the latest version of the map. All loaded no problem's quite quickly as I have a reasonably fast internet connection. However, the following day, whilst out driving I used the voice command and selected by voice command 'FIND PLACE'. To my horror to unit just shut down and turned off, no warning nothing. So i booted it up and tried again, same problem. So did a factory reset and hey presto same problem when I try to use 'FIND PLACE' on the voice command feature. So I reloaded the version sofware version 7.20 via the web updater and still same problem. So infuriated with my second faulty satnav contacted GARMIN, and guess what there is a problem with the 7.20 software that they are aware of and other's user's have complained about after the software update. BUT unfortunatly, they don't know what the problem is and don't know when a fix to the software update will be released. SO no Iam left with a second faulty device that I can't use it's full fuctions and don't know if any other problems will develop due to this faulty update. SO MY ADVICE IS DON'T BOTHER WITH THE 7.20 SOFTWARE UPDATE and just use it as it is to avoid similiar issues. Also have tralled the internet and other people have posted the same problem. It's a great unit and I am glad I Changed from TOMTOM, but I am so disappointed and fed up with software updates that aren't fully tested before release, then mess up your machine when downloaded. I hope other user's find these finding's usefull.

29/11/12. True to their word, Garmin released a software update for the voice command problem to version. 7.50, a couple of days later. So downloaded it via web updated as advised, and the device still has the same problem with the error code RTL TRAP on the info developer screen. So I guess the problem still isn't.t fixed. Amazon excellent about exchanging it for a replacement. I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND this device as the functions are great and the voice command is excellent, but I will not dare update the software on the replacement again, and just go with the map updated when they become available.

2.0 out of 5 stars Love Hate, 7 Sep 2012
Generally speaking as a sat nav this does the job. It is a nice screen and it easily gets a signal. The 3D road display with lane control is good. I like the way it shows you where petrol stations and Cafe's are. (My reference point here is an integrated low spec BMW 5series 2009 sat nav which does not do speed cameras or full post codes)

Some of the local routes seem a bit hit and miss. It insists on taking you down main roads as opposed to shorter, earlier more direct route. It does not seem to take into account congestion. It does get you there though.

On one road driving into Wilmslow from the airport it informed me that 40 is the speed limit when the signs say 30 for about 1/2 mile?
Totally misses a fixed M6 speed camera after Hilton services South and other M62 speed cameras.

There is no beep setting for when you are driving too fast which seems strange.

If you do not have a beep setting you are left going cross eyed at the red indicator checking to see whether you are under or over the speed limit ?.
I was hoping that an audio bleep would just tell me when I am exceeding the speed limit so that I could improve my driving. I understand this is available on other Garmins

It is picky on what phones you can Bluetooth to. I could not get my Blackberry 9900 to work. Since bought an integrated Bury car kit.

I have never really had anything from the traffic alerts. The lead for traffic alerts is very thick and seems to have an antenna lead that plugs into the thick lead. It is all a bit OTT. The redirection on the limited functionality Beamer system always worked really well.

It actually stopped working for 2 days for some reason. I think it was a power switch problem and so I returned the unit.

At the price I can only give it 2 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Stuff !!!, 13 May 2012
I searched frantically to get a nice GPS. After lot of searching and filtering between tom-tom and gamin I finally chose the gramin.

This GPS is excellent. I have taken it to some really nasty road ends and it has nearly coped with every challenge I set up for it and getting me on the right track every time.

It is highly recommended for your car and is a must buy.

I was a bit worried about the map update after reading some of the comments but mine got done without any glitch in 2 hours 40 minutes (Yes I do have a very high-speed internet connection).

I am surely giving it a 5-star in a hope that it will work as efficiently as it is working right now and lifetime map and traffic updates will work every time ..

Driving has surely become a pleasure. I am exploring so much without any fear to get lost :)

Cheers

Go for it !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Never skipped a beat all the way to Italy and back :O), 24 Jun 2013
My wife and i decided that for a change, this year, we would leave the grey clouds and cold evenings of the UK and venture into Europe for our holidays, more specifically Italy. I had my concerns, driving on the other side of the road, the arguments of map navigation and getting lost in some dodgy shanty town in a foreign country, so, i decided if we are budgeting for a holiday, then included in that budget, would be a brand new sat nav. Something i have never had or owned in my life. It seemed in the UK i could get around, by using the 'force'. however the force is strong in this one i thought to myself that surely it would not get me through a road trip to Italy. So my searching started, which sat nav, how much should i spend etc. etc
I started to read reviews and with every electronic product you buy these days there were goods ones, bad ones and some of a mixed review. Actually reading the reviews confused me even more and only added to my concerns that ' Am i going to spend 100-150 pound and end up like the 1 star reviwers - lost on roads, heading the wrong way, being told to turn left into a field or corrupting the device when updating maps, especially as we have our 3 young children coming with us.
I researched and from the reviews and people i spoke to regarding sat nav my biggest concerns were the cost of updating maps and having to load different countries on route. I then came across the Garmin nuvi 2595LM...
First of all the price was within my budget, secondly free lifetime maps and also full european navigation. Could this be exactly what i was looking for? So i bit the bullet and invested.
I still had my concerns, however i took it out of the box plugged it into my computer and visited the garmin website.
It did take a long time to update the latest maps, but we are talking the whole of Europe, so kind of expected it.
I used it in the UK and was impressed with the ease of use and amazed by the Lane assist. 'Wow' was my exact word.
The period between me buying the device and actually leaving for Italy was useful for me to get used to how everything worked. So good so far.
I then discovered the voice command, even with the engine running it still understood me, I m welsh too.;O)
Also during this time i had planned my trip using the 'trip planner'.
I did struggle to find the names of the campsites i was staying at, but the power of the internet gave me GPS co-ordinates and i was able to enter these as destinations. Again 'Wow'.
Then the day come, time to leave for France for an overnight stay and then onto San Vincenzo the following day to arrive in Italy.
Through out the whole journey the Sat Nav never sent me the wrong way, if i was diverted due to road works, it quickly re calculated and was back on track within seconds.
Every junction i needed to take, the lane assist kicked in and even when at service stations, with complicated exits, it new exactly where to send me to get me back on track.
Im by no means a sat nav expert, but for my 1st ever sat nav i give this device 5 stars and was, and still am very impressed with this product, now sat home in front of the tv, in exactly the time my sat nav told me i would be.
One very happy customer. I ve payed a one of price and now need to pay nothing more to get the full benefits of updates etc. the device was worth every penny i payed for it as my family and i are now sat safe in my home after enjoying a hassle free road trip and a fantastic holiday in Italy. Well done Garmin. Hats off to you!

1.0 out of 5 stars My third useless Garmin!, 12 Oct 2012
This was my third Garmin Sat Nav and this is the third Garmin that has failed to work as advertised! All three have been different models (see my previous review of the Nuvi 2515)and all three have suffered frustrating problems. See also other user reviews regarding the Garmin devices that will direct you off a main motorway route, only to take you straight back on to the same road by directing you up the opposite sliproad. I suffered this problem with my first model, as well as extremely short battery life when the unit was not permanently plugged in to a power supply.
My second model, the 2515 is reviewed separately, but although it was purchased for the benefits of Bluetooth and Route planning, I never had the chance to test the route planning facility as the Bluetooth connection to my mobile phone dialled different numbers to those selected and I rejected the unit! Having returned this model to Amazon as 'unfit for purpose' I attempted to find a Garmin that did not suffer software issues and was advised by Garmin support that the Nuvi2595LMT was free of any such problems. However, having purchased this model and spending over four hours loading the maps, I then discovered it suffered exactly the same Bluetooth problems as the 2515. I find it extremely frustrating that Garmin market these Sat Navs as Bluetooth compatible, only to discover and subsequently be informed by Garmin's customer support that only specific phones are fully compatible with their products. See: [...] to discover if your phone will work with a specific Garmin Sat Nav. This cross reference appears quite restrictive with the models that can be fully compatible to allow full use of the hands free facility of Bluetooth, so if the provision of this requirement is important to you, it would be well worth checking the compatibility of your mobile to a specific Garmin.
I've 'had it' with Garmins now, as it is far too much trouble trying to find a model that will actually do 'what it says on the tin', so to speak.
Between downloading maps, updating software, resetting the system when aspects fail to work, and having to contact Garmin so often for explanations and advice, I find the whole experience with this manufacturer totally exasperating and unacceptable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware 'Smartlink rip-off', 4 Mar 2014
Mr. Rob Pritchard (Bury St Edmunds, UK) - See all my reviews
I received a brand new 2595 for christmas and then spent over 30 adding traffic and cameras via Smartlink apps.

A couple of weeks later my phone died and was replaced with an identical one (Samsung Note 2). I soon discovered that I no longer had these apps, despite everything having been backed up and restored to the new handset.

I have now spent a month sending screenshots and receipts to Garmin 'Social Support UK' and yet still the useless tossers are unwilling or unable to get me my apps back. So basically I spent 30 of my hard-earned for about two weeks use and it appears that the cretins are just prevaricating in the hope that I'll buy the apps afresh.

I get the same e-mail response whenever I contact them.. I guess my next move is to go back to Play Store again and take up the issue with them.

So basically if you want traffic and tax-cameras on your satnav I'd say you are far better off with TomTom - or practically anybody apart from the monumentally useless Garmin

5.0 out of 5 stars Poor Tom Tom, 25 May 2012
Dave 1410 (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have always had Tom Tom since sat navs came out. I bought Live xl, all it was doing is sending me wrong. I have now got this Garmin and it leaves Tom Tom out in the cold playing catch up. It does everything and also on the map it shows everything, even where Mcdonalds and Burger king are and all those. Shame we don't go there. The user interface is great. I do agree the wire for the car is a little on the thick side, but it is a small price to pay. I don't think we would ever buy the perfect item.
I will say you only get so long to register your maps and there is a new version of the maps to download. I did all this before i used it. Then i took it on a route i know to see how it performed. It took me the way i know (not motorway tom tom) and it was bang on with my e.t.a. The traffic updates are a good bouns and you can also check the traffic in the local area.
All in all it is worth the 5 stars i have given it and i would have give it more but you can't so i will leave it at 5 stars+. It was well worth the money, but i do recomend the dashboard mount and then the wire is not all up the windowscreen. I am so glad i decided to change and it was people that have reviewed it that made my mind up for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nuvi 2595 LMT for and against, 25 Mar 2012
Garmin nüvi 2595LMT 5 inch Screen Sat Nav with European Mapping, Lifetime Map Updates and Traffic Alerts and Bluetooth
The Nuvi arrived on time. I had deliberated for a long time about replacing my old TomTom ONE which has been a good device, not without software and firmware problems over the years, but always fixed without the need to send it back. I have had various Sat Navs for many years, including a very early Garmin with 64 MB of memory!

Pros and Cons for the Nuvi vs. buying a new TomTom? now I have used the new NUVI for a couple of long trips and planned several multi-country trips for the near future. There are some of each, but the postivers outweigh the negatives

First of all: It worked first time after charging for six hours. The owners manual (online only 88 pages) and the quick start leaflet included in the box only mention using the car lead, but the USB will do it, as will a mains charger with a usb socket, provided you check that it is the right voltage. Once charged, connect to the Garmin website, registered, and set about updating the map set for all of Europe, speed cameras etc. Be Patient! the Garmin website does not autoload on connection like TomTom Home, and there are a couple of downloaders to be installed. Once done, using FireFox on Windows XP SP3, with Micctosoft.Net, the download only took 40 minutes, whole process took about an hour.

This is where I found my first "cons". The Owners manual and some instructions online are not crystal clear, or are downright confusing to a new visitor to Garmin websties, after the ease of TomTom home. I have used the email support system twice, to confirm that the French "danger areas" were included, and to find out if Cyclops updates were included. the answers were prompt, accurate and relevant. My reading of the product info indicated it might be on the LMT, but that is not the case, updates are by an additonal subscription. Also I was hoping to use the "live services" as the product info said smartphones enabled this process. Not true. Only Android phones do this, not my iPhone! Although it does twin on Blutooth, I don't us that feature, as my car twins with the iphone for hands free use, including music. OK, I have now subscribed to camera updates, which I would have done with TomTom, but took the edge off the anticipation of a new improved device. I would also like to change the speed camera alert sounds, but cannot find out how that can be done.

On the positive side, my early use has convinced me I made the right choice, once I started to discover and use the many features that are included in the package, including Traffic info and map updates. I have not had the software or reliability problems that some other reviewers report. The traffic info is supplied by routemaster, on a TMC system, which will be around as long as FM radio keeps going. Setting up the device to do automatic detours/re-routes takes a bit of searching on the device, but worked well on two trips from Cornwall to Tyneside. The Cyclops safety alerts worked well, with fewer erroneous reports than on my old TomTom (Belt and braces I used both as a test). Accuracy was slightly better on the Nuvi on the roads, but it does not seem to have the same level of detail as Tom Tom for Services Carparks, or any car parks in general. I have never been sure that mapshare and shared camera reports have been too valuable on TomTom.

One outstanding NUVI feature was the intersection info and the excellent way it was presented.

Also, for me the itinerary planning on the Nuvi is superb, and it works, mostly. For some reason won't let me cross the channel using Plymouth Roscoff route, even though it appears in map view, and sends me through the channel Tunnel to reach Brittany, when I live within 45 minutes of Plymouth - I may have to get on to the support team again!

I am still discovering features I didnt expect (owners manual not covering all of them again), many of which are going to be useful, such as translator, detailed trip meter, and Eco Routing. As I said, I am no sure I have made the right decision, especially as new TomToms will not work with TomTom Home, and its replacement "My TomTom", is in my opinion shoddy, and unsupported by TT support! Also as TomTom re-structure their company (laid off hundreds this year) their stated intention is to concentrate on the fixed in car satnav market, and move away from portable devices, so the once excellent support (which has already deteriorated) will probably fade. So I look forward to a long relationship with the NUVI, and as I am getting older, it will, I am told, take me back to my car when I have forgotten where I left it. which for me is a reassuring feature.