Platform: Nintendo DS|Change

on 18 November 2011
I've been a big fan of the Lego games from the start, and I was thrilled when they announced they were making a Harry Potter version. However, I was greatly disappointed with the first one (years 1-4), the DS version was very simplified compared to the console one, and I was frustrated when I saw how much I was missing on.

Years 5-7 on the other hand, is brilliant. There are so many things you have to do in order to complete each level. Being able to use the pets for example, or the spectrespecs... The characters on screen are bit bigger too, so you can actually see who you're playing with, a delight when it comes to custom characters. They also added a "duelling club" which gives you the opportunity to duel against all the characters from the game.

I saw some negative reviews focusing on the lack of proper "DS" interaction. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the touch screen, so I'm glad that the developers decided to put that aside and instead give us a more complete experience of the game. I can understand why people who already have the console version would find this annoying, but it's great for those who only have the DS one.
The only downside is the dreadful quality of the cutscenes, but apart from that I am very happy with this game.
on 7 February 2012
I absolutely loved the Harry Potter Years 1-4 Lego Game - I was totally addicted to it and it was great fun! I was really excited to get Years 5-7 and although I've only played it for an hour or so, I am really really disappointed with it - was right from the start. You don't use the stylus to move the characters and I find using all the various buttons for everything really hard. Perhaps I'll get used to it with persistence but it's not ideal. In addition, I don't like the fact that the story plays out on the top screen and it doesn't have the map so you can keep track of where you are/need to go. I don't find the Help/Hints facility very useful either. The graphics aren't great and the scenes in-between are far too long. Sorry but really feel like this was a waste of money.
on 27 January 2014
The controls are completely different. They've tried to improve the graphic but they actually look far far worse. Casting spells is so completely different its a wonder you can call them spells.

Don't get me wrong, I completely loved the 1-4 yrs version I very almost completed the game (just missing a couple characters), the controls were simples, spells made sense and things were reasonably difficult but never impossible.

Just buy the first one and forget this one existed, it's a waste of time and money.
on 4 April 2012
I'd been wanting to get my hands on this game since I bought, and quickly completed, the Years 1-4 game for my Wii. However, upon reading in several places that the Wii version of this game had a glitch that made it almost unplayable, I decided to go for the DS version.

The game is accurate to the books/movies but could've done with more detail. What really set me back, however, was the quality of the cutscenes. Half the time I couldn't see what was going on which was really disappointing. I'm also not a huge fan of the control system in the DS version; that's just my opinion, though, and I know many others probably like it. I, however, just couldn't get used to it.

I also miss the inclusion of a 'base'. In Years 1-4 on Wii you had The Leaky Cauldron, and you could even go out into Diagon Alley. In this DS version, however, all you have is a small version of Hogwarts with limited things to do, and a small 'shop' for buying all your extras and characters.

Although I enjoyed the game I think I'll find myself replaying the Wii Years 1-4 before I replay this. I'm even considering buying the Wii version of this, too, and just finding a way around the glitch. From what I've seen the Wii version includes much more detail, bigger levels and much better quality in the cutscenes.
on 2 January 2012
I bought years 1 - 4 for my 5 year old son last year and he loved it. Apart from a little bit of reading, he soon had all the spells down pat and whizzed through the game.
Years 5 - 7 is a superb game, however, my son (now 6 years) struggles with it. It is much trickier and moving through the levels is not as easy, with lots of problems to be worked out. As soon as he gives up, I continue and I think it is brilliant but even I have had to try and find out how to do certain things on the internet.
I would say that this game is better for the older Harry Potter fan and leave the younger ones to the years 1 - 4.
on 10 January 2012
If you have more than one games console in your house (!), then DON'T buy this game for the DS platform. The main problem is with 'cutting out' two circles in the cave entrance chapter. You don't use the stylus in this game, so have to use the + pad. The circle gets stuck and you have to keep trying for ages and then randomly it suddenly decides to complete. Very annoying.

I personally also found the duels a bit boring, but my son likes them, so I guess that's just personal preference (or age) talking.
on 9 January 2012
I bought this for my son for Christmas. He loved it. He already has years 1-4 so this was a welcome addition to his collection. He has a lot of the lego ds games.
on 13 February 2012
I bought this game for my 8yrs old daughter. She absolutely loved it and finds it quite challenging. The amazon delivery was gr8 as well.
on 2 January 2012
Very cool game, expect for the 'duels', they take forever! I really like the Voldermort in this game! Buy the game!
on 29 January 2012
I bought this game after having had the 1-4 version on DS, because I really enjoyed the first game and was hoping that this one would have pretty much the same format. To be fair I haven't played a lot of the game yet, but from what I've done so far, I'm not really too happy with it. I think it all depends on whether or not you enjoyed the format of the first game i.e. much more use of the stylus (which gave it a more DS-y feel). Personally, I liked this system, so was disappointed with the different layout of the second game, which is more like other Lego games like Lego Star Wars and involves less use of the stylus. However if you're happier with this kind of system then you'll probably enjoy the game more, but personally I preferred Years 1-4.

One more thing to add is that the graphics are pretty grainy, particularly in the cut scenes, but then the Lego figures you're playing with are larger so that may compensate if you want to be able to see what you're doing.