SanDisk SDSDXPA-016G-X46 16 GB Extreme Pro UHS-I SDHC Memory Card
Size: 16 GBPackage Type: Standard PackagingChange
Price:£17.32+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

This is hands down the best SD card I have used to date. I have tended to become quite loyal to sandisk now as over the last few years I have found their products generally well built anbd offering amazing performance at realistic prices. I would go so far as to describe them as professional cards at consumer prices. On that note kudos to Amazon for being the cheapest at time of writing. As camera's increase in capability and offer full HD recording it baffles me that people do not them put in the appropriate card to get the best out of their kit.

I also had a transcend class 10 card and the difference in eprformance is night and day. I have not posted speed test results as they are subjective depending on your setup and kit but I ahve seen a massive increase in performance switching to this card. I am ready for my next shot faster and it records full hd with ease.

Being their 'extreme' brand the card is designed to be a bit more rugged and I ahve not yet put that to the test, and hopefully will never have to. I have still have sandisk cards such as an old ultra 2 and a previous extreme 3 card whcih speeds aside are still going strong, though they are now whittling out their days in an old digital camera and a photo frame.

Overall this is a top purchase worth the extra money to get the best out of your equipment. Professional level performance at consumer level pricing.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 8 July 2013
Ok I got my 16gb SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC Memory Card this morning and the very first thing I did was run a CRYSTAL DISK test on it with NO data on the sd card whatsoever and here are the results:

With Crystal Disk running SEQ only at 1000mb and using a usb3.0 card reader the results were:

SEQ READ 89.10mbps and SEQ WRITE 80.78mbps
Now this card was bought and fulfilled by Amazon so I know its the real deal. Plus the card reads 15gb instead of 16gb, now I know some of that is used for cache but there you have it, Its still the fastest SD Card around and its great for fast DSLR`s cameras.
Hope this helps us out there with dslr cameras.
on 29 January 2014
I recently replaced my older Nikon DSLR with Nikon D7100 model. Nikon D7100 has a 24 mega-pixel sensor and the problem of file sizes and transfer speed has become apparent - if I shoot in RAW + Fine JPEG it simply takes too long to transfer files even on to a reasonably good standard class 10 SDHC card (I used Lexar Professional 400x 8GB cards with my previous DSLRs).

A Nikon D7100 RAW file takes up to 30MB in size. And a JPEG file is about 6-8 MB too. With my Lexar 400x cards it took about 2 seconds to write a single shot down to the memory card. So the high speed continuous shooting was like - 5 frames quickly go into the camera buffer, then another frame gets taken in 2 second interval after the first frame gets written to the memory card.

With these Sandisk 95 Mbps rated cards the write speed is at least twice as fast. So when shooting in high speed continuous mode I am getting 5 frames into the buffer and then another frame gets taken in 1 second interval.

So it looks like the write speed of these Sandisk 95 Mbps rated cards is twice as fast of the Lexar Professional 400x on a D7100.
(Not sure at which point the camera - card interface would become a bottleneck).

(If I have to shoot in continuous mode in real life, I would have to disable RAW and shoot in JPEG only - in this case I will get at least 5 fps continously on D7100 without any problem.)

I am happy with these Sandisk Extreme Pro cards overall. Even though they are more expensive than the crowd.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon 24 January 2015
I've had 2 32GB SD ex-pro cards corrupt on me now, keeping both of them in secure boxes and great condition. It must be a fault with a certain batch and I got both from the same - thankfully, SanDisk cards have a lifetime warranty and both were replaced. The 96mbp/s is perfect for video recording; i've used it in the Panasonic GH4 and Sony A7s and it records that level of HQ footage easily, even if the card space does get eaten up ridiculously fast. Other Sandisk cards i've had have been perfect. It's a reliable brand, any other card i'd recommend highly - but just be wary of this on particular type of card.
on 17 January 2012
Annoyingly, I bought this card from Jacobs at £99.99 on the high street because I was in a fix and only had a £10 cheapie Chinese SD card with me. It transforms the camera completely (Nikon D5100) making the response times instant when writing RAW + fine JPG simultaneously.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
You might not know that there are new standards of SD cards: There are UHS-I and UHS-II speed ratings for SanDisk cards now, which equate to UHS-1 and UHS-3 for the SD Association. The way the rating works is that if your device is compatible with UHS-3, then it will work with the UHS-3 speed rating for the card, but if you're not UHS-3 enabled, then the card will work at the old "C" class speed, which is 10MB/s or better if specified. (Which it is on this 95MB/s card.) I also mention the U standard as if you DO have a U3 device, you may not want one of these old-school 95MB/s UHS-1 cards, as there are flashy 280MB/s UHS-3 cards you could be buying. (Search Amazon for "UHS-II") But for those mortals like me with recent but not bang up-to-date gear that can handle SDXC but not yet U3, these SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s cards are about as good as it gets.

NOTE: The product photo shows a U1 card, but I received a U3 card. Not an issue as I have a U1 camera so it will operate at 95MB/s, but I'm not sure what the U3 speed rating for this card is. Are you confused yet? :-) Personally, I think SD card U-ratings are like where HD TVs were at a few years ago. Remember all that HD-ready vs FULL HD nonsense? Not to mention screens with a native resolution of 720p being sold as FULL HD 1080p. Anyway, the "U" standard is not yet ubiquitous and may not be a stable standard, so buyer beware.

The SanDisk Extreme Pro range is arguably a bit of a luxury item. Unless you need the speed, it may be the case that you don't particularly notice much difference in use from something like a SanDisk Ultra. I buy the ExPros because they are both electrically VERY robust (as most SanDisk cards are, incidentally) but also have the speed to absorb the contents of a burst mode buffer as quick as anything else for my camera. The combination of reliability and speed wins out for me.

Recently I filled a 16gig card on a day out, which stunned me. But I realised that shooting at 1080p 60FPS uses a fair old lump of memory, so I obviosly needed a larger memory card. Looking at the spec for my G6, the largest card it can handle is a 64gig so that's the size I went for. I actually had an incident with my 16gig ExPro in my G6 where it just continuouly wrote to the SD card and refused to do anythign else. I removed and replaced the battery and carried on. Nothing seemed to be affected afterwards so I'll put it down to a camera glitch. Worth mentioning though.

Other than that one glitch, these ExPros are an invisible MVP in your camera, working quickly and efficiently, reliable and long-lasting. As the price has dropped overe the years I've bought larger capacity cards as drop into my budget. Highly recommended, but do make sure you get your head round the SD/SDHC/SDXC rating for capacity compatibilty & the UHS-I/UHS-II rating for speed. (The card "c" class isn't an issue these days as the highest of the old classes is 10, and that just equates to 10MB/s which any old generic can achieve these days.)
on 21 June 2012
Extreme ScanDisk cards are brilliant.
I had an 8GB extreme III card years ago.

This new card is brilliant, I managed to take 100s of consecutive photos as a waterski display & capture all the key moments thanks to the quick processing time of the card.

Well worth the money. A card 1/2 this size was £100 a few years ago!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
SanDisk Extreme Pro 16 GB SDHC is good memory card solution for those people whose first priority is speed, while space is not main concern. And though the only one speed is stated (in this case 95MB/s) actual max writing speed depends on device in which you’ll use it. Given even the 60MB/s will allows its use for the quickest devices, such as professional cameras or full HD recording devices, you can be sure this is card you’ll be satisfied with.

Based on several testing I performed with different devices – Nikon and Olympus camera, Hitachi camcorder - this SanDisk Extreme Pro card manages to deliver the promised read and write speeds, which was expected due to its rating Class 10/ or by newer rating system UHS-1.

Be advised that if you are not able to achieve such speeds you should make sure you are using USB 3.0 port (available as additional PCI card or notebook adapter) and/or that your recording equipment supports UHS bus interface. Therefore make sure these requirements are fulfilled in order to get most from this card.

This card such as all the SanDisk Extreme Pro cards comes bundled with RescuePro Deluxe, useful software that will be handy in case of need to recover accidentally deleted data on your card. Additionally, be advised that card magnet proof ability is not stated in documentation, while can be confirmed its waterproof and X-ray proof features.

SanDisk Extreme Pro 16 GB SDHC is worthy solution which can be recommended if you need card with extremely fast writing speed, on the other hand not having too big demands on storage size. Given that I support approach that is better to have more cards of equal capacity to ensure that in the event of failure you do not lose all of the recorded material, I can certainly recommend this card.
on 11 August 2012
This is a great value, reliable and perfectly viable card for shooting short, highest quality HD movies (and stills) on a DSLR or compact. I use it with a Canon 60D shooting full HD 1920x1080p at 24fps (H264 format), shooting sometimes with autofocus, stabilisation and other functions and other times all on manual, and have no problems or issues with speed or recording capacity. I don't have to reformat or empty the card between takes (a typical longer shoot for me will involve sequences of max. 6-7 minutes of uninterrupted footage, sometimes a few of these consecutively).

I bought this card after experiencing problems shooting movies with a 64Gb Class 10 Transcend card. The Transcend worked for the first video whenever freshly formatted, but thereafter would just cut out after a minute or two. I researched this issue, and read a lot of reviews and this card does give the best possible speed and - importantly - offers a very good price point for the performance and capacity. Sandisk do have a good reputation from quality and reliability, and although at the time of writing the Canon 60D doesn't utilise all the UHS-1 performance, I will be able to use this card in newer or upgraded DSLRs.

NB. I am not a professional film-maker so I can't really comment on post-processing isses with this card as compared to others, eg. dropped frames etc., although there are certainly no obvious effects or artefacts on the results when editing in Premiere or viewing "as is" on HD resolution monitors. In terms of stills the quality of the images is consistently as good as or better than any of the other cards I use.
on 30 March 2012
these are indeed high quality cards, and i'd pick trustworthy, safe, fast and lower capacity over quantity any day. i've had 1 since 8 months back, never crashed, never any read/write errors, even though under constan heavy useage in all different kinds of weatherconditions. it just works. and in the end that means everything.

it is nearly as fast as they say, but you have to check compabillity. some cameras can not use the speed. and then the right kond of port to the computer, the longer the cable, lesser the speed, that goes for normally said short cables as well. so quality cable, all the way from the motherboard.

but again, quality and safety is more imprtant then exact speed.