Format: Audio CD|Change

on 1 December 2011
Although I'm a fan of Tom Waits' entire body of work, like many people I was first introduced to his 1970s Gin Pan Alley persona. This is Tom at his 'Nighthawks At The Diner'-era best, playing stripped-down arrangements of classic songs, often with very familiar skits and sketches in-between. As a Waits fanatic, I'd call this a must-have; it provides insights into a lot of his earlier work which he himself very rarely visits (tunes of this style were conspicuously absent from his earlier compilation 'Orphans'). If you like your songs about warm beer and cold women on the corner of 9th and Hennepin, this is for you.
on 15 October 2011
Superb album consisting of great songs and humour. The '75 recordings are of really good quality, the later 80's songs sound a little muffled, but are still worth a listen, especially 'Time'. If you think, "well, I've got all these songs, what's the point", the point is, they stand side by side with the studio versions, my favourite 'San Diego Serenade' is excellent, but so are the other tracks. A wonderful addition to any Waits collection.
on 5 January 2014
Everything we love about this guys work. No simple redoing the classics, each song gets a complete intimate reworking in this great set. The guy is a poet and a vital chonicler of US culture
on 7 September 2015
Good old Tom Waits when he still could sing (although his voice was already getting too rough and hoarsely) playing solo versions (guitar or piano, sometimes even a-cappella) of his early beautiful songs. Recording quality is quite good for most of his songs
on 24 July 2012
I bought this as a gift for my husband. He seems very pleased with it and plays it a lot. Not much else to say other than the success must be reflected in the amount of use.
on 4 December 2011
In 3 little words, I guess the title of this review says it all.

The concert is "fine", nothing compared to the vintage Nighthawks. But no idea why the producers (?) of this record decided to include a few extras completely out of context (recordings with very low quality from TV shows from the 80s).

Giving a -1 star is impossible, but the glitch during one of the musics (sounds like the tape recorder that was doing the initial recording failed at some point...) would definitely justify it.

From a longtime Waits fan here goes the definite final comment: this is not even for collectors. If you enjoy hearing him live, stay with the Nighthawks which is of the same Waits period and has the same kind of alignment (jokes included...)
on 14 November 2011
Don't get me wrong, I am a massive Tom Waits fan, but the songs but all the songs on this live CD are pretty messy versions and only vaguely resemble the tight and well played versions on Nighthawks at the Diner and other albums of that period. I bought it because the description says it is the "holy grail" of waits recordings with just him and his piano but If you don't know Tom Waits just get "Nighthawks at the Diner" instead. No doubt many people will buy this just to hear what its about, but I say there is a good reason why it has not been previously released (if that's true).
I have to admit this is not my favourite period of Tom Waits, I prefer his earlier crooning stuff or best of all his later Crazy stuff like rain dogs, swordfishtrombones, the Black rider and everything else he did. The completists will want it but I would recommend anything else by him over it.
on 22 June 2015