5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!
Published 20 months ago by Steve

3.0 out of 5 stars Sounds good but has a flimsy build quality
I purchased this pair of headphones after my Sennheiser HD 202 stopped working recently. The Sennheiser HD 202 was slightly cheaper than the AKG K451. Since the AKG K451 was priced at a little more, I believed that it should have more to offer. A friend of mine used the AKG K451 for a year and had some good things to say. This was a motivation for me to try it out...
Published 20 days ago by Deepak

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 13 Jan 2013
This review is from: AKG K451 High-Performance Foldable Mini Headset with In-Line Remote and Mic - Black (Electronics)
After wearing my last pair of ill fitting (and expensive) in ear headphones (used in ear for many years) spent ages looking around for a decent pair of over ear headphones that would not make a man of 50+ look like some rather decrepid DJ. After trying many in store and looking at the net I found a review for these on 'What Hi-fi' which gave them their Product of the Year. At around the £75 mark I decided, after looking at pairs over £300, they were probably worth a shot without finding a pair to try on cost alone and hoped they would be half decent.

Plugged then in Xmas day, chose a suitably testing track and I was hooked. The frequency range of the headphones is what I find amazing - everything is there and with plenty of umph too. Suddenly, new aspects of music become audible for the first time and the songs can be rediscovered in all of their glory.

The headphones are very confortale even after a good few hours of listening, ideal for my smartphone, come with detachable headphone only lead and seperate headphone / phone lead with mic and a great hard case which the headphone fold rather nattily into. 6.3mm adapter included.

Don't usually write reviews but decided I should as I always find they help me in my decision making. I am sure there would be those that prefer other makes and models: all I know is that these are the best headphones I have ever possessed and for a fraction of what I was going to pay!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible headphones with very few drawbacks, 10 Jan 2013
These headphone are incredible.

Build Quality

The build of these headphones is very good considering the price. Previously I have had many headphones from Sennheiser and I would say these are comparable to the mid-premium ranges in terms of quality. The fit is comfortable for up to an hour or so of listening to music. The case is well made and feels like it's going to protect these for years to come.

Sound Quality

The sound quality is fantastic for on-ear headphones. It is un-coloured and clear. Considering these are not in-ear or over ear, the base is measured and sounds strong but natural. The frequency range is distinct with highs and lows discernible and crackle free. One small criticism would be noise isolation and also wind noise. When on loud public transport these headphones can get slightly drowned out by the background. Also, in strong wind, the headphones have a tenancy to whistle - amplifying the wind noise. If you're going to come up against gale force winds regularly, pick yourself some over the ear headphones instead.

Hands-free:

For anyone using an Android phone, I can confirm that on my phone (Samsung Galaxy Nexus), the microphone for hands-free calls works. Also, the play/pause button on the remote works when the phone is unlocked. Volume controls don't work, I think these are just for iOSO devices. Call quality is very good and I found that the recipient can hear you very clearly - apart from in windy conditions.

Final verdict:

For the money, these are a bargain. I've had worse headphones costing twice as much.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I thought they'd be, 6 Feb 2014
M UDDIN "Tech Serf" (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this because of the high rating it got and because these used to cost £100+ so I was expecting something amazing. In no way is the sound quality bad, it's just not as great as the hype in the reviews led me to believe. My diablo 3 gaming headset produce better sound quality than these and they cost around £30 more but they obviously are not suited for mobile devices whereas the AKG headset is. I compare the two headsets because I was expecting better sound quality from the AKG's. My only other slight criticism would be that they could be little bigger. After putting them on, they look too small on my ears and friends of mine share this same opinion even when they use the AKG headset. The AKG's do have a little sound leakage but i doubt it'll bother people around you unless you play your music on full blast. Don't expect any noise cancellation because you can clearly tell they were not designed to.

If you want a headset for a mobile device with good sound quality and these are within your budget then, then I think the AKG headset is set at a fair price and a good option to consider.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sounds good but has a flimsy build quality, 10 Sep 2014

On purchasing the product, my assessment is that although the sound quality is comparable to the Sennheiser HD 202, its build quality is really flimsy. It does fit snugly and is comfortable on the ear when worn for long hours, but the actual problem ironically is its ability to fold away into a compact piece. After three days of use, I already find that the joints feel a little loose. The plastic used in the build is not very impressive.

If you are thinking of buying this product, do not be fooled by the fact that it was initially priced at over 100 pounds, but is now going for around 50. This is probably because it is really worth just 50 pounds or actually less.

5.0 out of 5 stars AKG K451 Headphones, 24 Nov 2012
Recommended as a best buy in HiFi mag. I fully agree. There may be better for a lot more money, but no need to spend more. I already have Bose and Sennheiser headphones but the AKGs are the best. Clear quality audio, no boom & tizz. Lovely. PB.

5.0 out of 5 stars Burn baby, burn..!, 6 Nov 2012
I thought that I would add my tuppenny worth seeing as there are so few reviews for this product. I was a bit hesitant about buying these because of the lack of reviews but as they seem to be a newer version of the K450's which are very highly rated, I took the plunge.

I specified Superfi as the supplier because the default supplier when you click BUY on Amazon (caraudiosecurityuk) seems to have supplied some fake K450's according to some Amazon reviews.

My review is very subjective because I have not compared them to anything except freebies and the original Sennheiser PX200's which I was never happy with after buying them based on a What HI-FI review about 7 years ago... Golden Rule No. 1 - if you are serious about it, always, always, always listen to audio equipment before you buy! However, that is not practical where I live so I took a chance. Over the years I have spent a lot of money on hi-fi so consider myself a bit of an audiophile but these have been bought for travel/portability so I won't judge them based on home use.

They look good and build quality seems fine while they come with a substantial (if rather large) traveling case. Using the alternative iPhone cord with my HTC smart phone, the mic works and I can pause/play but not change the volume remotely. They seem slightly heavy for their size which adds to the quality feel.

I have had a quick listen with different types of music including classical and soundwise, plugged into my portable devices at home, they are much better than my PX200's. There is definitely too much bass lift but this will probably be beneficial on the plane and can be taken out with an equaliser. Otherwise, the sound without equalisation is fairly smooth. I would say the sound is good, rather than excellent. I am not, "..hearing instruments that I never heard before." but would expect to be spending £100-£150 on some bigger phones to be happy at home. The sound may improve after a few hours burn-in so I will try to remember to report back. Also, as they sit on your ear, positioning is important for sound quality and comfort. The most comfortable position may not be the best for sound. There is quite a lot of pressure from the headband to keep them in place which is less comfortable for me on one ear.

Summing up: Look good, nice build quality, no good for jogging, they press quite hard on the ears, not 'flat' sounding but for on the move and with personal equalisation, should do a good job.

Headphones are a very personal choice but I would recommend these.

UPDATE *** UPDATE *** UPDATE

Ok, it's now 2 weeks after I received these and my first reiew. I have a lot more things to add...

My first review was written within minutes of opening the box and I hadn't given these a sufficient audition and... I nearly sent them back! I should say that I am a critical listener, my current hi-fi having set me back about 10 grand. I like realism and a natural sound. I want to close my eyes and be in the studio with the musicians. I know that you cannot achieve anything close to audiophile performance for under £100 but as What Hifi's headphones of the year, they should be fairly good. I bought these as a 'cheap' travel pair although I still have not tried them on the move, resulting in a more critical evaluation at home.

I set the equalisation to flat on my high-end laptop and flicked thru a bunch of mp3s (ripped at 192 VBR using Exact Audio Copy)) on iTunes - mostly rock, blues and accoustic. The sound was extremely bass heavy and muddy in the higher ranges. So for 2 weeks I have been burning them in for 10 hrs a day with a variety of music plus the jslabaudio.com/burn utility (white/pink noise plus frequency sweeps) and I am relieved to say that they have now redeemed themselves. I guess that I am out of touch with 'consumer' headphones which seemed to be aimed at sounding good for non-critical listeners rather than audiophiles. Bass extension seems to be all that matters.

Rummaging through my drawers I discovered that I had more portable earphones than I thought... 12 year old Koss PortaPros (one earpiece detached but still functioning), Sennheiser PX200's , the original Bose In-Ears, Sennheiser in-ears (not sure which). To summarise in ascending order of sound merit:

PX200 - Just awful. These had a What Hifi award too and I have hardly used them
Bose In-Ear - just ok, but not really hi-fi
Sennheiser in ear - better but not outstanding
Koss PortaPro - Great value for money with a better, more refined and open sound but with an extended bass which doesn't go as low as the AKGs due to open-back design
AKG501 - best of the bunch but only after 2 weeks burn in...

To begin with, the AKGs were extremely bass heavy with muddy mids/highs. Two weeks burn-in seems to have improved everything. Now I would say slightly muddy mids and highs with an over-pronounced, but tight, deep bass resulting in a laid back and entertaining (rather than audiophile) sound if you can throttle back the bass. The damage seems to be at 125Hz. Cutting this by 3 small notches and increasing the 62 Hz by 1 small notch on my laptop equalizer seems to balance this out considerably.

I have also listened with similar results on my Creative Zen, iPod 3G, Sony CD Discman and driving through the headphone socket on a Harman Kardon hi-fi amp using the laptop/Sony Discman as source. With mp3s, a big amp didn't make much much difference so I don't think these a need a portable headphone amp. They seem easy to drive with most devices. I could hear the improvement over mp3 with the CD sources but it wasn't significant enough at this level of headphone.

I would give the AKGs 5 stars at the Amazon price if the sound was anything close to a flat bass response. Not that I use it now, but my Sony CD Discman only has a 3 position bass booster so it would be impossible to use it with these headphones.

If you are a bass-head who doesn't care about getting close to the original sound then these will be a high quality solution. For anyone else, make sure that your device has equalisation facilities.

On the subject of sound leakage. There is not much at normal listening levels although it gets worse if you crank them up. I would wear them on a plane but not sitting next to somebody in a quiet library.

I think that, soundwise, the Koss PortaPros are far, far better value for money at £21 (if they are not the fakes) and it seems that the only difference between the AKG451 and AKG450 (at £41) is an extra cable with contol and mic for an iPhone.

***** FINAL UPDATE *****

What a relief! After 3 weeks of overnight burn-in, the sound has got better and better. It is more integrated and balanced and with less bass exaggeration. I can now listen to some music with the equalisation flat. I have pushed up my rating to 5 stars and my only reservations are that they get a little warm on the ears which is to be expected with this type and the flimsy cables, which have not let me down as yet and can also be replaced. You just wonder how many times you can accidentally jerk or catch it on something which is pretty much unavoidable in normal use.

**** ADDENDUM *****

8-9 months into ownership and with very light use, the pin that connects the left earpiece to the headband broke. It was returned to the supplier, Superfi, who were very quick to send a brand new replacement after assessing the breakage. A big thumbs up to Superfi.
Although it is very subjective, the new phones without burn-in sound as good to me as the pair I sent back. I am wondering if any of the components have changed...

2.0 out of 5 stars Audition before buying, 10 July 2014
Very disappointed with the quality of the audio overall for what is a five star What HiFi Reviewed product.

Although there's plenty of bass, mid-range and reasonable detail, but the top end sounded very muddy and even muffled spoiling a wide range of music that I tried - so much so that I thought there must be a fault - but another pair were just as bad.

Definitely one to audition before buying if you can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rediscoverd my music collection!, 29 May 2014
Rediscoverd my music collection! Great sound quality, comfy and look good too. Seams good value and works great with my I phone as a hands free kit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound for the price, 27 Aug 2014
These do have a small headband as some have said but it fits my head. Playing Mpeg audio through my iPod classic isn't going to get the best sound, but these come pretty close.
(Set your EQ off to test headphones.)
Firstly they are loud. They give the instruments a bit of clout without overdoing the bass like many headphones seem to these days. I have some big Sennheisers that sound muddy by comparison to these. They tend to favour the bass and drum area which is well controlled but the mid-tones, including things like the vocals, can sound a little held back. Maybe this is a failing of the mpeg but it is a bit frustrating at times with the iPod being unable to tweak the sound as you'd wish. I've gone for the acoustic setting on the EQ which gives quite a good boost without overblowing any particular area of the sound.

The control on the cable work with my 6th generation iPod. It's quite handy to be able to use those adn saves trying to fumble around with the click-wheel. You get a spare cable too though it has no controls.

The construction feel reasonable to me - typical plastic construction. But it does have a metal strip round the headband which ensures it keeps its springiness and it doesn't stretch like some of the headbands that are all plastic.
The cushion on the band means it feels nice and the ear pads feel quite comfy. I've had some plastic coated ear pads that make your ears heat up and I was worried that these would too, but there is just a small part in contact with your ear and it seems to stop them getting too hot.

I'm not sure how portable they are. I find them a bit bulky to go outside. They do fold up a bit and you are supplied with a nice case - but it is rather large and I doubt it would fit in many pockets. So you'd probably resort to taking them out without the case. Frankly I'd be a bit cautious about using these on the move as they aren't noise cancelling and the tendency is to push the volume up to get that nice sound. I prefer to use them at home for a bit of extra quality listening.

Some people have compared these to phones costing a lot more. At the price I haven't come across anything as good today. If you think there's anything that can compare, let me know!

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy! Happy! Happy!, 23 July 2014
Bought these headphones with my birthday money and have them on now when writing this review. Main reason for purchasing over the ear headphones is for traveling on holidays as I normally just use in the ear headphones when walking or gym. To start these were delivered quickly and securely packaged. I am no expert like I said I normally use in ear headphones but they seem like very good quality for the price. When folding they feel strong not flimsy like I thought they might. Like other reviews I too only had sound through one headphone when first connected them so pulled out the connection that goes into the actual headphones and tried it in the other way around and it worked fine, sound in both ears. So not sure if this is a problem or meant to be like this. Also I was pleasantly surprised with the little case and the second pair of headphones, not ones with a volume control but hay it's a spare pare that I was not expecting so can't complain. As for sound quality like I said I'm no expert but they sound great to me. The sound on MP3 players like my iPhone is never going to be as good as listening to music plugged into a stereo/CD player but I except that for the convenience mp3 gives you. Over all they seem great headphones for the price. I haven't given them 5* just because this is only the second time of Using and if this was 6 months down the line and they were still working great maybe I would.