Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£8.99

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 20 September 2011
Chunky, that's the word. Not necessarily referring to Leslie West himself but to the overall sound of the album. On the whole this is a rumbling, chuntering blues rock album out of the old school, and should be enjoyed by fans of the likes of Free, Joe Bonamassa, who makes a guest appearance, and ZZ Top - Billy Gibbons drops in for a track as well. The only slight problem is, the tracks with those two on them are the weakest ones on the album, not bad as such but on the whole blues rock by numbers. Other guests include Steve Lukather, Slash and Zakk Wylde the latter two helping out on one of the highlights for me, a swampy rendition of "Turn out the lights". Highlights for me include a storming "To the moon" a rocking classic of slowly evolving melodic verses erupting into riffing genius and an excellent blues ballad "My gravity". There is even time to have a punky wig out on the Guns n' Roses ish "I don't know - The Bettlejuice song"
West's voice is in fine form and the guitar playing is of the highest quality.

I would like to end with a personal message if I may which is to wish the big man all the best and get well soon.
on 10 October 2011
Listening to Leslie West's recent release takes me back to the Empire Theatre in Edinburgh over thirty years ago. I saw Mountain live and to this day it remains one of the best 10 concerts I have attended.

I can still recall visiting Bruce's record store in Rose Street, Edinburgh a few years before the concert and hearing that unmistakable tone. We were shown the LP cover, listened a little longer, and came out of the shop with Mountain Climbing. A little later Nantucket Sleighride was released; to this day this is one of a few albums where every track is a killer.

Thank you Leslie for nearly forty years of joy!

The new album contains great blues, rock and even pop. My favourites, so far, are Third Degree and Love You Forever.

Music like this makes the rain glisten and your personal problems manageable!!!
VINE VOICEon 11 October 2011
Ever since I first heard Leslie West singing Blood Of The Sun, way, way, way back in the late Sixties, I have been an absolute fan! The barrage of sound and the gravel vocals always did it for me. So here we are with Leslie now in his mid Sixties, and many pounds lighter than in his early years, still churning out quality rock and blues. And if you need proof that the man has got what it takes, you only have to look to see who else is contributing their individual guitar playing credentials here, to realise that he is indeed held in the highest esteem - no less than Joe Bonamassa, Billy Gibbons, Slash and Zakk Wylde.
As for the music here, it is another great big slice of electric guitar (standard and slide) and acoustic guitar too to get your feet tapping. The opener (and not very PC) Another Drink For The Road gets the album underway with a heavy rocking riff and Leslie attacking the vocal duties as only he knows how and this pretty much sets the standard for the album with Mudflap Momma coming roaring on after.
To The Moon seems to take us back in time in terms of the sound and then we come to my personal favourite Standing On Higher Ground written by Mr Gibbons and played with the same lilt as ZZ Top, with Gibbons and West exchanging fire with Leslie giving his vocal all -truly great music delivered with the usual bump 'n grind.
There are, however, two quibbles
1) The Beetlejuice Song should NOT have appeared - it's
inclusion really should make this a 4.75 star rating
2) My album copy shows My Gravity and The Party's Over on the sleeve and within the liner notes but on my car screen it shows as You & Me and Turn Out The Lights...not really sure why, but did cause some confusion at first!
Finally, mention should be made of the packaging on this Limited Edition version, replete with notes from Leslie on the ins and outs of each track, followed by a little personal potted history (for those who are not up to speed) which makes for an overall quality product.
If you know the man and his music - this is already in your collection, or in the post - for everyone else, listen for yourself, it'll brighten up your day!
on 1 October 2011
It chugs and thumps and stomps and struts and climbs and falls and growls and moans and howls and rocks and romps and rolls - and it ain't new but it ain't broken and it's what you would reasonably and rightly expect from Leslie West who has done the same for so many years and here he is at nearly 66 with those same strong guitar licks and rough roar of a voice knocking out twelve confident tracks of rock, ballad and blues. The album is also a buddy-up with fellow axmen Slash and Joe Bonamassa and Zakk Wylde and Billy Gibbons and Steve Lukather. And that's all you need and all you need to know.
on 21 February 2012
Looking at the previous 17 reviews, I must say I agree 100% with almost all of them.
I have been a Leslie West fan ever since I heard a friend's copy of his debut album "Mountain". Even though the sound & production left a lot to be desired, I still swapped my Track records Hendrix album "Axis: Bold As Love" for it! That is worth some money! The point is I like Leslie West as a singer/guitarist more than Jimi the god and, even though he says "Don't call me Legend", he surely must be.
I was lucky enough to speak to him & Corky Laing after a gig in Sheffield when they had Stray supporting them and found them both to be funny and humble.
I have almost all of Leslie West's & Mountain's back catalogue (I don't see the point of purchasing all of the repetitive albums like the "official bootleg series") but, without doubt, this latest album is breathtakingly superb.
I like each and every track here but, like one or two reviewers before me, don't like or understand the final track "I Don't Know (The Beetlejuice Song)", other than it's Leslie's way of "having a laugh".
All in all though, 11 great tracks out of 12 can't be bad can it?
I say buy it, love it and search out other great Leslie West albums like "Got Blooze" and "Guitarded", West Bruce & Laing's "Why Doncha" and the vastly underrated Mountain albums "Flowers of Evil" and "Avalanche".
on 30 September 2011
Track 6 is called 'Legend' and although he actually sings 'Don't call me legend', there is no getting away from it, Leslie West is legend. He demands respect and this album demands buying. Only a musician of his class would have the likes of Slash, Zakk Wylde and Joe Bonamassa lining up to make guest appearances. Lesley West by his own admission has never been the fastest guitarist in the world, but there is nobody who can touch him for tone and such a big sound. If you like blues/rock and you never purchase another album in your life, buy this one - you won't regret it - it is sheer class.
on 19 November 2011
First saw and heard him back in the Mountain days (Woodstock through to about mid seventies) then I got an album called Why Dontcha (West, Bruce and Laing) then I heard nothing of him for years.

Then this album appeared in my Amazon recommendations. I didn't hesitate and I'm glad I didn't. The guitar playing is exceptional and that raspy voice is still there but it seems to have smoothed out and grown deeper.

If you've ever listened to, and enjoyed Leslie West before - buy this album. If you haven't but you enjoy great playing - buy this album.
on 4 October 2011
i have just listened to this album and wow what a one hundred per cent effort leslie west and co have excelled what a comeback album ishall be waiting eagerly for any other material he produces summed up brilliant fantastic rock and blues at its best
on 29 October 2012
Great rock and blues riffs for underrated axeman. Leslie west has great guest appearances from the likes of joe bonamassa and billie gibbons no dud tracks individual tracks given between 4&5 stars highlights many but duo with the great joe bonamassa just shades it for me. A must for blues and rock fans alike
on 30 June 2012
tHIS IS A GREAT CD BY A GREAT GUITARISTS WITH GUESTS,jBONAMASSA,SLASH AND ZAK WYLDE.tHE TRACKS ARE GREAT AND THE GUITAR SUPERB.lESLIE WEST PLAYED WITH AN AMERICAN
BAND CALLED MOUNTAIN AND IS ONE OF THE GREAT GUITARISTS-WELL WORTH GETTING-QUALITY
ROCK MUSIC WITH GREAT MUSICIANS.