on 21 December 2008
I've been a fan of Alvin Lee and TYA for many years and managed to see him here in Australia some years back as guest of honour to another very talented local guitarist (Johnny Diesel). I confess, while finding him very 'watchable' on film, I am not always right in there with his more intense rock n roll inclinations (my other favourite would have to be A Space in Time but the rockier stuff has its moments too, absolutely). This album is quite different to his usual TYA offerings and truly an emotional experience courtesy their collaborative string of beautiful harmonies. It's difficult to cite any particular track above others, so for my part, I shall leave that to other more technically skilled reviewers, (although, hint: the title track, plus So Sad and Fallen Angel do spring to mind). In a nutshell, I consider this to be a very special 'feel good' album which has been cherished in vinyl and is no less beloved all these years later in cd form, and highly recommend it.
on 12 May 2003
On The Road To Freedom is considered by many to be the finest Alvin Lee "solo" album (meaning without Ten Years After). The pairing with Mylon LeFevre works surprisingly well, and the album is replete with talented guest artists, including George Harrison (credited as Hari Georgeson), Steve Winwood, Ron Wood, Jim Capaldi, and Mick Fleetwood. Those who consider A Space In Time to be the best TYA album will likely enjoy this one as well. It is more "laid back" than much of Alvin Lee's work with TYA, and is comparable in significant ways to the follow-up Alvin Lee album In Flight. The Alvin Lee web site has cited legal difficulties as the reason for the overly long delay in the release of this album on CD, but today is the date of its official release on CD. It's a real gem.
on 12 June 2009
I acquired this LP (as it was called then) almost by accident in the 70's, and even then couldn't understand why none of my friends had it or had even heard of it...it seemed to be some kind of 'secret'. But it was THAT good!
So huge joy when I saw that it was, at last, available in CD format. I purchased it partly for nostalgic reasons, but truth is it's still a great listen, and not in any sort of ironic way; it's still contemporary.
The list of musicians is a 'who's who' of 70 guitarists/vocalists (so many it's not worth mentioning, and anyway would spoil the discovery), but mostly it's just the strength of the songs and sympathetic vocals that make it.
If you like 70's singer-songwriter-rock-country'ish (e.g. Dylan etc) just take the gamble, you won't regret it...in fact you'll probably go off raving to your mates that you've unearthed a 'secret'.
on 30 May 2003
This is a record I've been waiting for for many years. Once I've had it on LP but its gone.
I remember this record as one of my favourite ones and I am very much looking forward to July 7th when it will be released.
This collaborative effort of Mylon and Ten Years After guitarist Alvin Lee released ~1975 remains one of the most original, under-rated, and unknown albums of the 1970's. Featuring an all-star line-up that includes George Harrison and Ronnie Wood, the writing, playing, arrangements, and production on this release are superb.
It's gonna be a wonderful summer!
on 21 May 2013
what is not to like about this great album? you need to be a fan to like it but it does it for me. country style Alvin was an interesting variation from TYA. Division 2 uk band but punched above weight v grammar school rock!
on 9 April 2013
I have in my summer years come to know of Alvin Lee's prowess with a guitar. He featured in a programme, several years ago called 'The Night of the Guitars'. There were no less than nine giants of rock /blues that played in this programme. Alvin's set was a stand out for me along with one given by Leslie West, of Mountain fame.

I have now purchased a number of CD's of both gentlemen since and this one was merely adding to that collection.

I had not heard of Mylon Lefevre until I saw this CD on Amazon. Both Alvin and Mylon work well together.

I thoroughly recommend this CD for existing fans and potential new fans of Alvin's 'sound'.
on 2 December 2015
Repertoire Records did an excellent job in "remastering" this record. Kudos! I don't know the source from which this record was remastered, analog master tapes or digital source, whatever that source may be they nailed it. I'm hearing the various musicians on this record with much more clarity and space than my original vinyl record. When you get so involved in the music, like I did, that seems to say it all.
on 12 February 2013
I bought the LP in the 1970's. I loved it then, and I love today's CD version.There is hardly a track that attracts any criticism. This is a truly superb rendering of rock at its best. The talent here is prodigious, and the whole CD just oozes beauty, harmony and musical talent of a very high order.

I have no hesitation in commending this CD. Superb throughout !
on 11 May 2014
If your a Beatle fan or not then buy as this includes George Harrison..........nuffin' more needs to be said. Had it on vinyl years ago now at last on CD.
on 6 May 2013
When I heard that George Harrison was on the album my ears pricked up, but I can honestly say that the whole album is brilliant.