5.0 out of 5 stars a true guitar hero
Published on 21 Sept. 2011 by Mr. P. Osborne

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Guitar Playing But Poor Vocals
Like many, I've followed GM's career and own the back catalogue, been to gigs, etc. I was never the greatest fan of his blues recordings. After Still Got The Blues and After Hours it had been a case of diminishing returns for several years. I was really pleased when GM announced that he would be revisiting his older rock material. The Monsters of Rock live CD and DVD...
Published on 25 Sept. 2011 by a music fan

5.0 out of 5 stars a true guitar hero, 21 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Live At Montreux 2010 (Audio CD)
i'm sorry but i totally disagree with the first written review here.this live cd clearly demonstrates all that was great about gary moore's guitar playing,total blistering energy and power but yet with pure beauty and emotion.for me it was great to see gary go back to playing some rock material after quite a long spell playing blues."over the hills" kicks the cd off showing much more energy "live" than the recorded version ever could,same with "military man".all three new songs are great,"days of heroes" and "oh wild one",being typical celtic rockers,while "where are you now" has a more sorrowful tone."blood of emeralds" and "out in the fields" blast out and give you a good kick.while "johnny boy" and "parisienne walkways" sound very sad and poignant now.the cd left me feeling sad but proud to one last time to hear the pure power and beauty of gary moore live.believe me,if you are a fan of gary's blues or rock,you will love this,and the dvd will be even better!

5.0 out of 5 stars R.I.P. Gary Moore an original guitar hero and legend, 22 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Live At Montreux 2010 (Audio CD)
I am a huge fan of Gary's and like many fans was shocked by his untimely death. It has taken me a few months to listen to Gary's music again, but when this release came out it was a must have. I too was glad Gary went back to his Celtic rock roots the two new songs 'Days of Heroes' and 'Oh Wild One' reminded me of Thin Lizzy's classic Emerald.There is a nice mix of the rock and ballads and it was good to here songs like Empty Rooms played again. The solo in this song is just note perfect and leaves a lump in your throat. And then there is the very poignant 'Parisienne Walkways' the one song Gary will always be known for where he really displays his technical prowess. Gary's music will never be forgotton.

5.0 out of 5 stars Live Legacy of a Guitar legend, 22 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Live At Montreux 2010 (Audio CD)
For any Gary Moore fans this is a must. Recorded live at Montreaux in 2010, it is the last live recording by Gary Moore before his untimely death in February 2011. The album sees Gary return to a more rock set than recent albums, and includes tracks from 'Wild Frontier' and 'After The War' which he hadn't performed live for many years,as seen by the track listing. The album also contains three new songs, 'Days Of Heroes', 'Where Are You Now' and 'Oh Wild One' which are all reminiscent of the songs that they sit alongside. Unfortunately, according to the sleeve notes Gary died before he had the chance to lay these tracks down in the studio, and therefore they will only be found on this album, 'Days Of Heroes' is a solid rock track, and 'Oh Wild One' has a very celtic flavour, but the standout track of the three is the rock-ballad 'Where Are You Now'. As usual Gary puts in a fine live performance of 'Parisienne Walkways' this version lasting over 10 minutes. Having Neil Carter on keyboards also means that there are superb versions of 'Empty Rooms' and 'Johnny Boy' on this album. My only gripe is that the dvd/blu-ray also includes two extra tracks 'Thunder Rising' and 'Still Got The Blues' which I would have liked to have seen included on the album as well, but then again for Gary Moore fans my advice is buy both. This album is a great piece of work for Gary to have left us with, R.I.P. Gary Moore, and thank you for all the great music you gave us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gone but never forgotten !!!!!, 19 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Live At Montreux 2010 (Audio CD)
Would this album of been released had Gary not sadly passed away I do not know, but I've been waiting 7 months for it's release and it does not disappoint. Strange that when Gary played this final show to be recorded, he completed a musical circle - combining Blues, Ballards and Celtic rock. Often we hear complaints that our guitar heroes no longer have the fire of their younger years, well that cannot be said about Gary. He is as fast and as aggressive as ever when playing his rock songs. Most of the songs will be known by his fans so I would like to comment on the 3 new songs apparently planned for his new Rock album to be recorded in 2011. "Days of Heroes" this reminds me of Lizzy in some ways, I could imagine Phil singing this accompanied wit a Emerald type riff. "Where are you Now"....just a lovely feel to this ballad type tune with a guitar solo that tugs at the heart strings. And finally "Oh wild One"...I would of loved to have seen Gary perform this live.. a roof raising Celtic Rock anthem. In the space of 11 tracks you experience why GARY MOORE was on of the greatest guitarists EVER. I have already played this cd over and over and cannot wait to receive the dvd version. MAYBE ONE DAY GARY WILL HAILED AS A GUITAR LEGEND by more people in death than he did whilst he was alive. R.I.P Gary

4.0 out of 5 stars RIP Gary Moore, 19 Sept. 2011
J. M. Green "john94682" (Sutton Coldfield) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Live At Montreux 2010 (Audio CD)
I have to say that I find it very, very hard to come to this body of work from Gary Moore and find myself not liking the material as much as I thought I would.
Now, whilst Gary had a long and fruitful career and became an iconic guitar player, this release does nothing to further the cause - unfortunately, it has all the hallmarks of a release to capitalize on the usual outpourings after a talented one leaves this mortal coil.
I have followed the career of Gary right from the very first time that I heard his playing on Night Of The Warm Witch on the "34 Hours" - Skid Row (original)- album when he was just a pasty 16 year old, and I have to say that while he was a competent rock guitarist, it was the blues that really allowed his playing to soar! Indeed, even the blues was able to have him sing a tune or two, tunefully, whereas with his rock singing, he always found it a bit of a strain - and indeed what we have here is an album recorded at the famous Montreux Jazz Festival which shows precisely what I am talking about. The rock numbers (including the new material) are proficiently played, but there is a spark missing and Gary is, without doubt, struggling in the higher registers, to the point where it is almost embarrassing! However, you get to the blues tracks and everything gells, and apart from Gary's guitar really coming to life, his singing improves, dramatically!
Of course, there is the inevitable rendition of Parisienne Walkways and this almost has the effect of being that last great effort before going to the Great Gig In The Sky - it really is very poignant!
As to whether I can play this album over, and over again - I very much doubt, I much prefer the multi album set recorded over several years at the Montreux Festival where Gary is on fire playing his blues numbers!
Unfortunately Live At Montreux 2010 is not the great final tribute to the excellent musician that was Gary Moore, let's hope that some forgotten gems still remain out there somewhere and provide the real tribute to the man!

5.0 out of 5 stars RIP GARY, 25 July 2013
This review is from: Live At Montreux 2010 (MP3 Download)
We won't ever hear the 3 songs on here that were new other than in this form, and for that reason alone it is worth having.

4.0 out of 5 stars great quality, 5 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Live At Montreux 2010 (Audio CD)
Great quality, the guy is a legend !

I've already heard this live from youtube, and decided to buy it(well, the main reason is I wanted the 'Empty room'. And this can not be purchased separated from the iTunes/amazon store.

The only reason its a 4 star, is that some of the songs I think gary can do better, but again, sometimes 1-2 great performance can just make everything right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the best., 1 April 2013
This review is from: Live At Montreux 2010 (Audio CD)
Great to hear this recent gig playing some of the rockier classics. Not quite as polished as before and a few mistakes but I don't think that matters. Love the new songs, such a shame we never got to hear them on the new album being planned.
Gary was a true legend, amazing guitarist but don't forget how good a songwriter too.
Music will not be the same again.
RIP.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gary Moore, 14 May 2012
C. M. Martin "teenwee" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live At Montreux 2010 (Audio CD)
Delivery was excelent as always from amazon.co.uk, Shame the music wasn't as good as i thought, lucky we also brought the platnum collection which was a lot better

5.0 out of 5 stars Gary Moore at its best!, 17 Dec. 2011
Edin Dizdarevic (Austin, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live At Montreux 2010 (Audio CD)
Great video and sound quality and very matured and advanced playing. I loved watching this disc but realising how Gary changed between 2007 and 2010 is scary. R.I.P. Gary, we miss you...

Live At Montreux 2010