5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite gadgets
Customer Video Review     Length:: 4:28 Mins
I have a large cream wall close to the TV and each night I turn off the main light and switch this on, projecting it onto the wall. It projects beautiful warm colours onto the wall which create a fabulous ambience.

Published on 25 Dec 2011 by D. Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars A very nice mood lamp but not at 90+
I purchased one of these before Christmas for about 65 and loved it. So much in fact that I thought I would purchase a second. I was shocked however to see the price has risen to over 90! As much as I like the lamp, I am not prepared to pay this amount so I will wait and hope that the price falls again. A pity as I think around 60 is a sweet spot for this product...
Published on 2 Feb 2012 by Greg Watson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite gadgets, 25 Dec 2011
D. Jones (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Philips LivingColors Gen 2 69171/60/PU Colour Changing Mood Lamp with Remote Control, Clear (Kitchen & Home)
Length:: 4:28 Mins

You can choose any colour from the colour wheel on the remote and leave that one colour projecting onto the wall. You can store your three favourite colours. Or, like me, you can set the lamp to rotate through the range of colours. The colour change speed can be set from every 5 seconds (much too fast) to once an hour. You can also change the saturation of the colours and the brightness which means that you have millions of different colour options available.

The lamp is a simple but elegant design which requires practically no putting together. The most you have to do is remove it from the box, attach the power cable and put the batteries (supplied) into the remote. Switch the lamp on at the wall and start to play.

Because the bulb is an LED it should last for many thousands of hours - which is good because once you have one of these lamps you are likely to have it on every single evening, all evening.

The remote control is beautifully designed and it is so nice to see something different to standard rectangular black remotes. The remote fits comfortably into the palm of your hand and you select the colour by placing your finger onto the colour wheel and the lamp instantly changes colour.

It is handy that the remote control works with wireless signals rather than infra red as it means you don't need to be keep standing up and pointing it at the lamp to make changes.

The only negatives (and they are not that major an issue) is that it would be nice to be able to change the angle of the lamp. You can change where it goes on the wall by swivelling it around or by stacking it up on books but other than that you don't have a great deal of options. Also, the plastic casing is large (see the video) and you need a decent amount of space on a flat surface on which to store it. I don't mind the size, especially as the lamp looks so unique.

I absolutely love this mood lamp and can honestly say it is one of the best things I have purchased this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glowing Review, 21 Dec 2011
Mr. K. A. Mitchell (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I bought this as a Xmas present for the Mrs as she'd wanted one for ages. Couldn't wait for the 25th so we set it up. I am really impressed with the design quality of it; unlike a lot of lights it actually looks fantastic, and better than in the picture. Certainly something you'd be happy to have in your main room.
The Living Colours Gen2 light is about the size of a goldfish bowl and this model is made of clear plastic (I actually thought it was glass) although you can get one with a darkened outside Philips LivingColors Gen 2 69171/30/PU Colour Changing Mood Lamp with Remote Control, Black. The light needs to be placed near a wall socket for its power cable, this isn't shown in the product picture.
Firstly, and most importantly, the light produced is really quite beautiful and can be changed in multiple ways to suit individual taste. When set to produce a white or yellow light it's probably comparable to an 11W energy saving bulb (50W incandescent). It only uses 15W maximum so it's also energy efficient due to its LED light source.
The light can be controlled by a wireless remote control that is an elegant circular design, with an internal ring showing the full spectrum of colours. Selecting the colour simply involves touching the colour you want on the remote. You can also control the brightness and saturation. If you decrease the saturation it becomes white light and you can read with it (or with the brighter yellows). However it's not meant as a reading light as the beam is angled diagonally upward to hit a wall or corner.
The remote control can also be used to turn the light on or off. Note that the remote is powered by 3 replaceable AAA batteries.
The light can also be programmed to change colour at a reasonable rate or almost imperceptibly. I quite like to set it on the slow change setting.
I have ours set up in the corner of our living room and it's great to turn off other lights when watching DVDs or TV as you don't get any annoying light on the screen but you can still see clearly.
I highly recommend this light if you want to add some mood lighting to your room. Best of all you can buy others and they can all be controlled simultaneously from the one remote. I am seriously considering this.
One final plus point the bulbs are LEDs, I design electronic equipment for a living and we specify our LEDs for 20 years plus. Therefore you should never have to worry about the bulb giving up. Phillips knows their stuff in this regard.

Summary

Beautiful light source
Elegant design
Reasonably bright (much brighter than similar products I've seen)
Energy efficient
Quiet (no humming of any kind)
Immensely controllable via remote

5.0 out of 5 stars Lighting can be fun, 21 Dec 2011
Seren Ade (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
There is something simultaneously incredibly nerdy and incredibly cool about owning a colour-changing lamp that is operated via a remote control. I love it! I ordered this to add some atmosphere to my living room - after my white mini version was 'borrowed' and has yet to make its way back to me. The larger lamp does emit significantly more light than the mini versions, and has a much wider range of functions available though I was slightly disconcerted by the appearance of this version when I first got it out of the box. The clear plastic unit is well made, but roughly the size and shape of a goldfish bowl, however this effect diminishes once the light is switched on. The power cable - a see-through cord - is roughly 2 metres in length. The lamp comes with a satin-ey material storage bag, though I suspect I won't be making much use of that!

The remote control is a very slick piece of goods indeed. Its size and rounded design mean that it fits nicely in your hand. The remote runs on 3 AAA batteries (a set is included) and emits tones when functions are changed. From the remote, you're able to select one from a wide array of light shades to provide a particular mood/ambience or opt for a light show which sees the lamp transitioning through its total range of colours (you can vary the speed of the transitions). You can also power the lamp on/off, adjust the intensity of the light, dim/brighten the lamp and store up to 3 favourite colour selections. Multiple purchases can, optionally, be linked to a single remote control.

Neat, stylish, and low-energy. A thoroughly impressive gadget.

5.0 out of 5 stars great mood light, 4 Sep 2012
Mr. R. O'reilly (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
this is a great mood light for any time of day its bright enough to show up in daylight and can really set the mood at night, the slow colour cycle is also really nice if you just want it on while your'e watching t.v, the remote works from miles away ( well outside the house) and its really easy to use and get the light to do what you want after 5 minutes of playing with it you'll be an expert, there is one thing that doesn't bother me at all but may some people and that is the light its self dose make a very slight hum when its on, nothing you can hear over the t.v and you do have to listen out for it even when the t.v is off but im sure some people will really moan about this, other then that this is the king off all mood lights and also looks great even when its not on.

4.0 out of 5 stars funny and weel made, 30 Oct 2012
I am a long-time user now. Although it is a fairly large lamp and I could not say that I would really miss these changing colours it they were not there I had no issues and I can say that I am satisfied, as it delivers what it was supposed to deliver.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, although a bit expensive, 8 Oct 2012
Absolutely love the product, but bought it on sale as it is a bit pricy at regular price. However it is easy to use and it really brings different moods to the rooms

4.0 out of 5 stars a nice item., 15 Jan 2012
K. P. Borley "Little-bit-of-bread-and-no-cheese" (Battlesbridge, England.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This is a nice item and I am pleased with it. One thing to note: you do need to site this facing towards a white coloured wall (about 50cm distance) to get the full effect. The light output isn't strong enough to put it anywhere in the room and have your room lit up with colour. It has all the colours that we know and you can adjust the intensity and brightness of the colour but don't take too much notice of the 16 million colours claim. My favourite feature is to have it on a slow colour change. It's a shame Philips don't make a stand that you could buy as an add on as this would be useful. It does give a lovely ambience to a darkened room which is why people would want this. I've wanted one of these for a while but (probably like many other people) was not prepared to pay the retail price and was waiting for the price to drop. It would have been overpriced at 129 but definately worth the 65 which it now sells for on Amazon and will make a nice addition to any home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb product with few flaws, 12 Dec 2011
J. Andrew (London) - See all my reviews
This lamp is excellent. It's translucent design means that it's the light you see, and not the light source.

It's bright enough to bathe a quarter of a large room (or half a small room) with a coloured glow, and it really set's the mood, be it an icy white at Christmas, a deep orange for Hallowe'en or a warm yellow for early autumn evenings.

At the moment, this lamp (pointing at the corner of the room) plus one discreet warm LED lighting strip hidden behind my sideboard are enough to fully illuminate my 6.5x3.5m lounge.

The remote is compact and easy to use, and the batteries haven't ever needed replacing. (Despite 2 years daily use!). The power cable is of the flat thin transparent type, so barely noticeable and would be discreet in any setting.

My only suggestion for improvement to this product, would be to include some kind of adjustable stand so you could vary the angle of the light. (E.G. So you could have it closer to the wall pointing upright) Everyone who see's the light in action has gone on to purchase one. Amazon often do great value deals on it's premium price. I bought mine for 90, however I've seen it as low as 70. You won't regret this purchase: it'll really enhance your room.

4.0 out of 5 stars ... you can change the colour whatever you are in good or bad mood whatever its not enough bright but ..., 11 July 2014
its very smooth to calm yr mind down i use it behind my big screen flat tv you can change the colour whatever you are in good or bad mood whatever its not enough bright but its suit for me as i watch tv without all light on only use phillip living colour behind tv

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 25 April 2014
I have had this in two different settings. First in my traditional built 4 bed detached and it never really fitted in. However, when I took it to a two bed modern flat that I was renting it fitted in perfectly and is a piece of furniture in itself.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›