5.0 out of 5 stars A clever story, 9 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Surrogate Vigilante (Kindle Edition)
A very clever story that allows you to wonder what, if anything, you would do to give proper justice to people to whom the courts fail.
The twist at the end may be a little bit transparent but it allows the writer to give a very clever ending to a short story that captures your attention from Page 1.
A nice use of " A what would I do in the same situation"

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing - Raises questions you'll think about afterwards., 5 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Surrogate Vigilante (Kindle Edition)
The vigilante setting right the perceived wrongs in society is a popular theme, because we all on occasion feel enraged when an obviously guilty criminal is set free on a technicality, or given a ludicrously short sentence. The overwhelming feeling of injustice, and the need for some form of retribution, is within us all. "He should be shot for what he did", and so on, is the common reaction in many such cases, and that's just the stuff you read about in the papers.

But what if it's closer to home, and you're personally involved? Could you, given the opportunity, exact the vengeance/retribution/justice that the courts failed to deliver?

This is a short story about an ordinary man who has suffered a very close loss, and who has to answer that very question. Well worth passing an hour or so reading. Although this is a short story it seems to leave the door open for something longer, perhaps. Look forward to more from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars A natural story teller, 8 Mar 2012
Ignite (East Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Surrogate Vigilante (Kindle Edition)
I have only just discovered Beverley Carter and she is a natural story teller. This novella places us in something of a moral maze. It asks us how we would react if given the chance to right a judicial wrong. The protagonist is given this opportunity and right to the very end we don't know if he will do it or bottle out. I don't want to give anything away but I'll say that the ending was a complete surprise but in the most satisfying of ways.
I often feel that the short story or novella is a difficult thing to get right. Either a thin story-line is stretched out too far or in order to complete the tale, the characters are insufficiently fleshed out. In both the novellas I have read by Beverley Carter, she has struck the balance and produced a finely crafted book. I look forward to reading more from her.

The Surrogate Vigilante