on 26 February 2012
I agree with one of the previous reviewers; unfortunately there has been no effective editing of this book and it suffers for it. The author jumps from first person to third person mid paragraph making for a disjointed, uncomfortable read.
Having spent all my working life at sea, I'm afraid the author gives the impression of the type of seafarer I would avoid getting to know; since he tends to prejudge situations, regions and people all too freely. There's a definite 'oil and water' syndrome evident throughout, that is the age-old division between the Deck Officers and the Engineer Officers - thankfully a majority of seafarers today don't automatically assume superiority over their contemporaries as they once did.
I'm sure there are better written memoirs out there.
on 2 January 2012
As someone who went to sea in Tankers during the late 50's and 60's this book came as a surprise as although some of the experiences recall similar events it was a schock to discover how bad things have become in the Merchant Shipping world. The author tells it as it is but without nameing the shipping companies who really do need shaming. A good and thoughtfull read.
on 23 July 2012
Badly in need of sub-editing. Almost unreadable in parts. Left me disappointed as the author reveals little of himself and the chronology is difficult to follow.
on 27 February 2013
I found this to be an enjoyable read having been a deck officer on tankers for 14 years I could relate to many of the people described. I perhaps can see the point of the other reviews about a need for editing but it was an ejoyable holiday read and from that point of view a recomended read
on 9 June 2013
I thought I would be interested in this book as I had sailed on tankers for seven years. His story is disjointed and some parts out of sequence.I do not think he gives a very good description of life at sea.The title says Supertanker Memoirs but he does not appear to have been on many tankers at all. I kept on till the end because of my own life at sea, but it could have been alot better,or perhaps there was not a lot happening on the ships he was on, ans he did not want to make it too personal to himself.
on 27 August 2013
The poorest book I've ever read. Grammar shocking and there didn't seem to be any theme. I got the impression the author was having a big whinge. Why do a job if all you can do is moan. There was nothing positive I got from this book.
on 8 December 2013
Not too sure how to report/review this book, there was so much going on at times I was a little lost on what the Author was doing or where he was going. It is only a short read but there interesting facts to be found.
on 22 March 2014
too much made of his own role & not enough of the circumstances & situations that he got himselve into.
I commanded a supertanker for many yhears & did not reconise any of his situations.
not worth the money
on 12 May 2015
As an officer who served on oil tankers for over twenty years. This book does not parallel any of my experiences at sea.
I also agree with other posters that this book shoud be properly edited.
on 30 May 2013
I have only read the first chapter so far. So far so good. I had never served on tankers so the rest of the book will show me what life was like.