5.0 out of 5 stars Easy listening with a twist!
Published on 17 Oct 2011 by Ramona A Stone

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing
Published on 8 Dec 2011 by Rami

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy listening with a twist!, 17 Oct 2011
This review is from: 1969 (Audio CD)
Cd player 'In early 2010, as Pink Martini was preparing for their first tour of Asia, they received a call from Yuki's manager saying that she had loved the band's rendition of "Taya Tan" and wanted to meet them when they came to Japan. This first meeting occurred in Tokyo when Yuki joined Pink Martini singer China Forbes on stage for a rendition of "Taya Tan." Later that year Yuki was invited to sing the first-ever Japanese version of "White Christmas" for Pink Martini's holiday album Joy to The World.

Following the earthquake and tsunami in Japan earlier this year, Lauderdale invited Yuki to come to Portland to sing at a benefit at the same time, she and PM recorded "Yuuzuki," which was released by Starbucks to add to the Japan benefit. This collaboration led to the new album.'

It is quite brilliant and a lovely twist on the hugely popular Pink Martini theme of around the world easy listening . Classy and ageless. A lovely album.

5.0 out of 5 stars The brilliant worldwide debut of Japan's talented all-round songstress, 19 Oct 2011
This review is from: 1969 (Audio CD)
Saori Yuki has been one of the most talented Japanese all-round singer and entertainer for 42 years. Now she joined Pink Martini and this brandnew album did WORLDWIDE release.

Very few Japanese language pop songs called Kayokyoku were released outside Japan and Asia and Kyu Sakamoto's "Sukiyaki" has long been the only worldwide success. Mega-successful superstars such as Seiko Matsuda and Hikaru Utada tried to do their worldwide debut with English songs, but they were miserably failed. But this album is entirely sung in Saori's beautiful Japanese language except "Du Soleil Plein Les Yeux" is sung in French.

The best favourite song for me is "Watashi Mo Anata To Naite Ii?". The original version sung by Mieko Kaneda was a small hit(Oricon #45 in 1969) but it has very gentle and moving lyrics and performed beautifully by Saori and PM.

The final song "Kisetsu No Ashioto" is a brandnew song but lyrics are by the notorious billionaire lyricist/producer Yasushi Akimoto, who masterminds extremely successful but shamefully amateurish girls groups such as Onyanko Club and AKB48.

Childish Japanese media don't take care of this big album so much but I hope this album will enjoy a worldwide success.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 8 Dec 2011
This review is from: 1969 (Audio CD)
I love Pink Martini - especially their first couple of albums. However I was hugely disappointed in this. It feels like they have lost the plot. I understand that she may be one of Japan's most respected vocalists and I don't doubt that...unfortunately this doesn't gel and ends up sounding like a bad Japanese Karaoke evening. Bring back China Forbes and tracks like Aspettami...please.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea, 2 Sep 2013
This review is from: 1969 (Audio CD)
I am a big Pink Martini fan and was looking forward to receiving this album. However, I was really disappointed. I've only listened to it once but it feels like pretty mediocre and quite dull pop. Maybe I would grow to like it more if I listened to it again, but to be honest I don't think I can be bothered. Life is too short and there are a lot of other great albums to listen to!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yuki-san, glad to know that you are still around, 16 Oct 2011
This review is from: 1969 (Audio CD)
I have been a fan of Saori Yuki since I was seven years old when her debut single "Yo-ake No Sucatto" was a big hit in Japan in 1969. I left Japan 5 years later and was not aware that she has been in the music business throughout the years releasing more than 40 albums. I still have her first 7" single and was so excited to learn that she would release an album with Pink Martini. I rarely pre-order any release but this time I need to get the CD as soon as it is out. She must be more than 60 years old now but her voice sounds so fresh and clear like her teen years. And the selection of songs are all my favorites from 1969. Yuzuki, Blue Light Yokohama and Puff (in Japanese) bring back fond memories of my happy childhood days in Japan. I love all the songs on this album. Arrangements by Pink Martini are as magnificent as ever. Hope there will be more of this kind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pink Martini 1969, 10 April 2014
Mr. Mark K. Sims (Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1969 (Audio CD)
This is a fabulous album. It's a little different. Most of the songs are sung in Japanese, which I happen to like. The backing, production and musicianship is excellent. I personally like this very much and recommend it as a slightly different Pink Martini album but with their usual stamp of quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unusual, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: 1969 (Audio CD)
If not for Pink Martini, I'm not sure I would ever have heard of Soari Yuki. This album is unusual because all songs are in Japanese. You will know the songs (for instance, Puff, the magic dragon), but unless you speak the language, you will not be able to understand the language. Saori Yuki's voice is pleasant to listen to and the whole album has a Pink Martini flavour to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy music, 10 Nov 2013
S. Kelly "mathematical SF fan" (Herefordshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1969 (Audio CD)
This is different yet happy music. No matter what language the songs are sung in they are good. Great background music

5.0 out of 5 stars Another beautifully produced album, 29 Jun 2013
A. Owen "anthonymowen" (Orpington, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1969 (Audio CD)
I had bought all the other Pink Martini albums but had been put off purchasing this by the adverse reviews. Pink Martini seem to have a bit of an obsession for collaborations with other artists, some well past their sell by date. The result can be embarrassing and not a good listen. Sadly this mistake is repeated on the upcoming Get Happy album which opens with Phyllis Diller 'Smile'. Not a good decision!

My mind was changed when I heard Saori Yuki in concert with Pink Martini at the Albert Hall. She has a beautiful voice and the Pinki Martini arrangements compliment it superbly. This may be why some Martini listeners are disappointed. Instead of a singer with a band playing a range of Latin and international tunes the singer is the focus and the arrangements adapted to her.

The songs become a matter of personal taste. I could do without Puff the Magic Dragon but love the rest. As with all Pink Martini albums the recording and production is immaculate. I find that listening with headphones reveal lots of musical flourishes that are an absolute delight.

Ignore the poor reviews. This is a top class recording from a top class mini orchestra.

1.0 out of 5 stars to be avoided...., 19 Nov 2011
This review is from: 1969 (Audio CD)
Pink Martini promoted this artist in parallel to their album "Retrospective"...hmmm...sort of 60ties Japanese Pop music. First time in my life when I am listening to an album I feel life can be long and dull....

1969
1969 by Pink Martini (Audio CD - 2011)