4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent as usual but shame about some other stories
Published on 27 July 2012 by Jenny

1.0 out of 5 stars so very disappointing
I was really pleased to buy these stories by Victoria Hislop as I really loved The Island but I have been so disappointed. They are really amateur with no depth whatsoever. I was an English teacher and these stories are less developed than many of my pupils' efforts and I'm not exaggerating. A real waste of money and such a disappointment from an established author.
Published on 1 Nov 2011 by love reading

1.0 out of 5 stars so very disappointing, 1 Nov 2011
love reading "marsy" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

1.0 out of 5 stars dont buy - so disappointing, 22 Jan 2012
This review is from: One Cretan Evening and Other Stories (Kindle Edition)
I have read and thoroughly enjoyed three of Victoria Hislops books, the Island, the return and The Thread and bought this for my first Kindle Read. The five very short stories are no better than a woman's magazine short story and most of the book is a chapter from a Victoria Hislop novel. A total waste of money. Sorry Victoria

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent as usual but shame about some other stories, 27 July 2012
This review is from: One Cretan Evening and Other Stories (Kindle Edition)
I love Victoria Hislop's writing style, the content is both educational and compassionate and the stories in this collection were of her usually exceptional standard. I was disappointed to find that a large chunk at the end was taken with chapters from her other three books (The Island, The Return and The Thread) which I had already read and as I read this on Kindle I was not aware of this until I reached it. Although I have loved all of Victoria's novels and short stories I felt a bit diddled by this collection - as if I was owed some more short stories in place of re-reading novels already purchased.

3.0 out of 5 stars Short but, 22 Mar 2012
This review is from: One Cretan Evening and Other Stories (Kindle Edition)
Nicely written but much too short (ie not many stories), some felt unfinished..... If you like like Victoria Hislop you will like this but might feel left wanting more....

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor, 13 Oct 2011
This review is from: One Cretan Evening and Other Stories (Kindle Edition)
This mercifully short book consists of five short stories, each ending with a moral point so stupefying banal that I am amazed that the author had the nerve to put the collection in front of the public. I downloaded it because I was taken in by the free sample -- the first few pages of the title story.

A stranger arrives in a small Cretan town in a taxi, and lets himself into an empty house. Here the sample ends. I was interested in the setting and curious to know what happened next. Actually very little. It seems that the house belonged to the man's sister, who died two years earlier. She was ostracised because of dark rumours. Her brother tells the townspeople that before she came to the town his sister had given birth to a child out of wedlock. The townspeople did not know. They are all ashamed.

That's it.

The rest of the stories are pretty similar in structure. This is women's magazine stuff at its worst. Save your money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing - large part of the book consists of chapters from the author's novels, 20 Sep 2012
This review is from: One Cretan Evening and Other Stories (Kindle Edition)
I like other reviewers bought this having enjoyed reading 'The Island', 'The Thread' and 'The Return'. I was looking forward to a collection of short stories, but was disappointed to find that there were just 5 short stories (none of which I can particularly recall) and almost half the book was taken up by previews of the 3 novels mentioned above - mainly 'The Thread'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as previous books, 19 April 2013
D. Maris (West Yorks.,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Cretan Evening and Other Stories (Kindle Edition)
Good price but not as rivetting as previous books by Victoria Hislop. Short stories so not as good as a one story novel.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 16 Oct 2012
This review is from: One Cretan Evening and Other Stories (Kindle Edition)
I was so disappointed - just three short stories and a big chunk of The Thread which I had already read. Would advise you think twice about this one! The other books are excellent though

3.0 out of 5 stars Not one of victoria Hislop best, 10 Aug 2013
B. Tolley "computer novice" (shropshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Cretan Evening and Other Stories (Kindle Edition)
A bit dissapointing and not up to usual standard maybe I was expecting too much because i have enjoyed previous books

3.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant read, 6 Aug 2013
This review is from: One Cretan Evening and Other Stories (Kindle Edition)
Although I enjoyed the stories I am not a lover of short stories,prefer more meat to a a story!,sorry Victoria.

One Cretan Evening and Other Stories