5.0 out of 5 stars Informative as well as entertaining
As the author of the Bradt Travel Guide to Maldives, and guide books and inflight magazine features on other beach destinations, I was fascinated to read BEACH BABYLON. Although the resort itself has been fictionalised and the incredible events of a resort manager's career packed into one hectic week, it rings so true.
From various clues (a Muslim country, aclohol...
Published on 16 Aug 2007 by C. R. G. Ellis

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring for me
I enjoyed the TV series Hotel Babylon - I never read any of the books, and I must say I found this one extremely boring. There is no story to it, page after page is just a repetition of how expensive everything is & how demanding the guests are - nothing we didn't already know! I would give it a miss & pick something more interesting.
Published on 24 July 2008 by M. Bound

4.0 out of 5 stars Great insight into the luxury hotel world, 26 Sep 2012
This review is from: Beach Babylon (Paperback)
Good, easy read. Quite an eye-opener about what is probably perceived to be a 5-star job. Certainly not literature class but makes interesting holiday reading!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for true to life account, 4 May 2012
This review is from: Beach Babylon (Paperback)
The only thing that made this book enjoyable for me was the knowledge that it was all true/really happened - this is what kept me reading. It wasn't quite as serious as I thought it might have been and doesn't go into too much detail about the characters, but is still an interesting. Very easy to read, written in quite a humorous/fictional way rather than an autobiographic account.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beach Babylon, 6 Aug 2011
This review is from: Beach Babylon (Paperback)
Of the Babylon Series, I would put this second.
It gives you an idea of what goes on on a tropical island - it is not all
about sun, sea & sex.

4.0 out of 5 stars Holidaying like the rich and famous - well, a girl can dream!, 3 April 2011
This review is from: Beach Babylon (Paperback)
This book was such great fun! I read 'Hotel Babylon' on holiday years ago, but I think this one was even better. In this exposé the anonymous whistle-blower is once again a manager in the hotel industry, but this time of a luxury island resort rather than a London establishment - and it takes things to a whole new level! As in the other Babylon books, all the people, places and madcap events that appear in the book are real, but names and locations have been changed (obviously!) and the bizarre situations the manager finds himself having to cope with have been condensed into one crazy 'week in the life'.

The reader is swept into a world of incredible luxury and privilege. This is a resort where the villas can cost up to $6000 a night, and the guests are so wealthy that they can afford to blow $20,000 on a afternoon's entertainment or $1,500 on a bottle of champagne without batting an eyelid. Not only does our intrepid manager have to cosy up to each and every one of his guests and bend over backwards to keep them happy, but he must also deal with their more outrageous requests, make sure the isolated island has everything it needs on a daily basis, and try to keep his staff functioning and content in the face of daily difficulties.

This is a wonderful piece of escapism, managing to capture both the little bubble of island life, with its daily champagne parties and beach barbeques and celebrity guests, and the all-consuming nightmare of trying to keep such a large resort in the impossibly perfect condition expected by the demanding clientele. Despite the 'world apart' nature of the island, the characters will be painfully familiar to anyone who's ever been on holiday! It's funny, it's dry, it's cringeworthy - and it's brilliant!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining!, 28 Sep 2010
This review is from: Beach Babylon (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. It's a funny, light-hearted easy read and I thought it was written quite well. With the detail and descriptions of events and surroundings, you feel like you are at the beach resort which makes you instantly relaxed if you are working in the City! I definitely recommend it as an enjoyable, fun book to read with quite a few laugh out loud moments!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book!, 23 Sep 2010
This review is from: Beach Babylon (Paperback)
This book had me hooked from the start. It is an easy read, funny and makes shocking revelations about what really goes on in luxury resorts! Once I started this book, I did not want to put it down. It made me laugh out load and you could also feel for some of the characters in the book.
Brilliant book by Imogen Edwards-Jones and a book I would definately recommend for a holiday read, or curled up on the sofa in front of the fire!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Easy Read, 10 Jan 2009
Ms. S. De La Haye (portsmouth england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beach Babylon (Paperback)
I have never read any of Imogen Edwards-Jones books before but now having read this I have gone out and brought some of her other books. I found this one so easy to read and it was quite funny in places. I would recommend this for a quick and easy read.

2.0 out of 5 stars A missed opportunity, 31 July 2009
This review is from: Beach Babylon (Paperback)
I think that the most interesting aspect of this for me was the incredible insight in to how fake far away resports are. Created, everything flown in. Huge air miles to pay even for a banana. No juicy stories, no interesting characters.... Dull

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Air Babylon and Hotel Babylon, 2 Oct 2007
C. Stamper (Buckinghamshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beach Babylon (Hardcover)
This was an OK read to fill a couple of hours but I would start off with Air Babylon and then Hotel Babylon, which I would give both five stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Classic Summer Read, 13 Jun 2009
J. Thomas "Lost&Found" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beach Babylon (Paperback)
If your looking for something light-hearted and enjoyable to take onto the beach this summer - buy this.

Beach Babylon