5.0 out of 5 stars Informative as well as entertaining
As the author of the Bradt Travel Guide to Maldives, and guide books and inflight magazine features on other beach destinations, I was fascinated to read BEACH BABYLON. Although the resort itself has been fictionalised and the incredible events of a resort manager's career packed into one hectic week, it rings so true.
From various clues (a Muslim country, aclohol...
Published on 16 Aug 2007 by C. R. G. Ellis

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring for me
I enjoyed the TV series Hotel Babylon - I never read any of the books, and I must say I found this one extremely boring. There is no story to it, page after page is just a repetition of how expensive everything is & how demanding the guests are - nothing we didn't already know! I would give it a miss & pick something more interesting.
Published on 24 July 2008 by M. Bound

2.0 out of 5 stars sorry but ...., 12 Jan 2010
Chris Miller (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beach Babylon (Paperback)
... this is the first of IEJ's books that really didn't work for me. I must admit in many of hers I have a bit of a problem with her central characters - they often seem a bit abrasive and cynical. But the central character here goes too far and really bugged me. he is so unhappy at his lot, always moaning, hates it when the sun is out, hates it when there are clouds, hates rich guests, hates big yachts - I just constantly constantly wanted to say - come on, you live in paradise and you're seeing a world we dream of - enjoy it! that said, it's such a good topic for a book and i will keep the IEJ faith for her next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab... and I think I guessed the resort!, 23 Jun 2008
S. Franklin (London (UK)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beach Babylon (Hardcover)
Really enjoyed this book. And I think I guessed which resort it was based on, even though it is supposed to be fictionalised. It sounds like One & Only Reethi Rah in the Maldives. There are so many clues from generic aspects such as the geographical location (which points to the Maldives), to the finer details of the island, from the buggies and descriptions of the villa types, the Chef's Garden, right down the $5 valrhona chocolate ice cream scoop.

Anyway, Whether I guessed wrong or right, I would highly recommend both. They're both fantastic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing beach read, 19 Sep 2014
This review is from: Beach Babylon (Kindle Edition)
I finished this in 2 days, it's a very entertaining read about a manager of a super-expensive holiday resort. 4 stars rather than 5 because, as it's from the manager's perspective, it's not as fun to read as if it was from the perspective of a super-rich customer. The manager has to deal with the running of the place and works really hard, which isn't always a totally relaxing to read. But I can't fault the detail and the readability, I couldn't put it down.

4.0 out of 5 stars A proper holiday read, 31 July 2008
R. Lowther - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beach Babylon (Paperback)
After the disappointment of Fashion Babylon, the series returns to the top with is easy to read, hard to put down exposure of behind the scenes running of a six star holiday resort - set on a island in the middle of a tropical island, with little to do except eat, drink and be merry - and with many of the rich guests bringing their own entertainment, you can count on their being plenty of merriment. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beach Babylon, 18 Aug 2008
M. Townsend "Marcus-Brighton" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beach Babylon (Paperback)
This is my favourite of all the Babylon series.

I read it whilst lazing on a sun lounger in a 5 Star resort in Dubai with lots of Russians around, flashing the cash. Although I wasn't on a Maldivian Island, whilst reading the book, I slipped into fantasy land and became one of the Rich and Famous visitors to the amazing hotel depicted in this book.

Another triumph by Imogen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blowing the lid off the luxury hotel, 13 Aug 2008
This review is from: Beach Babylon (Hardcover)
Just the most brilliant read. Anyone involved in the travel and tourism industry will totally relate to the humourous and often frustrating side of running a resort hotel. It makes a fabulous holiday read especially if you are located on a luxury resort island! I enjoyed it even more than Hotel Babylon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 12 April 2014
This review is from: Beach Babylon (Kindle Edition)
I thoughouly enjoyed the book having worked in 5 star hotels. Brilliant work............Anyone that has or is working in tourism will enjoy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars fab, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: Beach Babylon (Kindle Edition)
It was a light refreshing read. Good to take up a few days of your holiday. It is very realistic.

3.0 out of 5 stars quick easy beach read, 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: Beach Babylon (Kindle Edition)
Not S good as air Babylon or hotel babylon, if you are expecting these you will be disappointed, but for a quick read ok

2.0 out of 5 stars First book I didn't finish, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: Beach Babylon (Paperback)
I have worked at an airport and a resort luxury hotel, so I thought it would be just as amusing to read as Air Babylon, but somehow I didn't finish this and I have never done that before. The story just dragged on, didn't fascinate me.. just a lot of dialogue and empty sentences... I don't know what it was. But it was a waist of money for me.

Beach Babylon