5.0 out of 5 stars Utter brilliance as usual....
I have to make a declaration here... I am a complete AB fan. **the** best band I have ever heard/seen.

When I saw AB3.5 was being released, there was no question over whether I was going to buy this. Straight onto the pre-order. But there is always that small niggle that wonders whether fans are being ripped off with a re-release of an existing album...
Published on 21 Oct. 2011 by Mr. J W

3.0 out of 5 stars Minor 3rd
Mirroring the views of a few other fans/reviewers on these pages, I have had a slight problem getting Alter Bridge's third offering. As with their sister band (or mother band is probably more accurate) Creed, they were never favourites for the thinking person's choice of music and will always sail the calm seas of being an easy listening group, despite the frequent heavy...
Published on 3 Nov. 2010 by ratmonkey

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 10 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Alter Bridge III - Doesn't Slip To The Void., 12 Oct. 2010
A. Grey "GTAndy36" (Brundall, Norfolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ab III (Audio CD)
I have been following the release of ABIII for the past few months. The anticipation has been massive with the Alter Bridge fan-base. "One Day Remains" and "Blackbird" have really set a huge standard, so there has been worry that the third Alter Bridge album, aptly named ABIII wouldn't meet that standard. Especially as there were stories of record label issues, a quick create and recording period, and the fact that Mark, Flip and Brian are doubly busy with the Creed reunion.

However, finally the last few months have gone by, the AB team have rocked their socks off, and have created another masterpiece of rock, riffs, wonderful lyrics and the iconic Alter Bridge sound we've all come to know and love.

I was woken up by postie this morning, I knew what that meant. ABIII was here! I was grinning ear to ear like a little kid in a sweet shop. I promptly opened the plastic, looked at the awesome album art, and put the CD into the PS3. The album art really suits the feel of the music. This album is different to the previous Alter Bridge albums, in look and sound.

First song, "#1 Slip To The Void" is a perfect opener to the album. And I'm sure they'll use it as a concert opener. Slow, beautiful lyrics from Myles, into heavy melodic riffs and perfect AB sound. "#2 Isolation" (the Single) follows on perfectly. Heavy metallic sound, riffs and hard lyrics. One of Alter Bridge's best songs in my opinion. Melodic but hard and heavy. "#3 Ghosts Of Days Gone By" calms the heaviness down, with a sing-a-long kinda tune. It does get a little heavy and almost menacing in places too. The lyrics are rather sad for this kind of tune though, which makes it a very interesting song to hear. Three brilliant songs to open the album.

Things go a little downhill from there in my opinion however. "#4 All Hope Is Gone" really isn't a great song. Lyrically, it's bordering depressing. That would be ok if the rest of the song lifted it, but it doesn't. It's not a massively awful song, but it drags on. The little solo is probably the best part. That goes into "#5 Still Remains". Starts of in a similar vein to "All Hope Is Gone", and is a little better, but again, it does drag a little in the verses. The chorus' and the solo are best parts. Overall it's better than "All Hope Is Gone" but again, it's quite repetitive and bordering on depressing. It picks up a little come the end of the song though, with the heavy moody riffs and solos.

All this moody depression however is lifted once you get to "#6 Make It Right". Catchy, bouncy rifts, with a good lyrical performance from Myles. Definitely back to a typical Alter Bridge sound with this track. Not a stunner, but a good lift from the moodiness of the previous two songs. "#7 Wonderful Life" is up next, and this is definitely back to the quality we expect. Easily another 'single' type song. Light, beautiful guitar. Slow percussion. Beautiful soft lyrical performance. Very different to the first six songs. From that, into a flowing, rocky tune that is "#8 I Know It Hurts". Catchy lyrics, for the first two verses, into a random heavy hard rift, which I'm not sure works the best with this song. Still, it's not there for long, and it's back to the tune. The ending is good with a little crazy high rift.

"#9 Show Me A Sign" has a similar tempo to "I Know It Hurts", and "Still Remains". Good melody through the heavy, slow rift. Again, a bit moody but not the depressing, dragging on feel you got from "All Hope Is Gone" and "Still Remains". A good slower song, with a heavy feel. Again, some good solos thrown in my Tremonti. Another masterclass of well put together guitar and lyrics in "#10 Fallout". Slow tempo again, but the sound is a bit more uplifting. Fits great with the album so far, throws in something that hasn't been heard so far. Interesting rifts, different to anything we've heard from AB on any album.

The quality again is back again with "#11 Breathe Again". Similar to "Wonderful Life", with lyrics you'd want to sing and the light, and a quality tune from the guitar. "#12 Coeur D'Alene" brings back some heavy rift, and a typical Alter Bridge sound we're used to. Wonderful lyrical sound from Myles again in this one. This is a full-band tune, every member brings something to this one. A full-bodied sound.

Slow, beautiful guitar starts off "#13 Life Must Go On", and that continues the feel for the rest of the track. A song that I can see is going to be a favourite during a concert, for it's rounded and heart-warming feel. Personally, one of my favourites on the album. The final track "#14 Words Darker Than Their Wings" was released for 48 hours on the Roadrunner Records website about two weeks before release of ABIII. It's a masterpiece of rift and lyrics. And it blends the beautiful with the heavy pretty much perfectly.

A brilliant ending to this album, a great finale and shows of really what this album was trying to achieve. A blend of beautiful and soft, with a hardness and heavy nature. I would say, ABIII has achieved that. Is it as good as "Blackbird"? Well, yes and no. "Blackbird" held some iconic songs, and was more uplifting than ABIII. The themes shown of in ABIII on the most part are heavy and dark, with songs that talk about losing yourself and your mind, not knowing what to do or who you are. Not being able to believe or trust in anything. There are the songs that talk about love and loss, happiness and success, but compared to Alter Bridge's first two albums, this is the moodiest of the three. If I have any complaints, I would say the album is one or two songs too long. I personally would leave out "All Hope Is Gone", as I feel it brings nothing to the album, and even if it was placed somewhere else in the track list, it just wouldn't have worked.

However, overall this album shows off again the talent and genious of Alter Bridge. Myles Kennedy is the one of the best singers in rock music, this album only shows that off more. Mark Tremonti again shows us his talent with the axe, some of the rifts and tunes are breathtaking. Then with Brian on the bass, and Flip on the drums/percussion, they compliment Myles and Mark in a way I feel no-one else could. These four guys really are a team and work wonderfully together, and this album not only shows that off, it cements it even more when put along side "One Day Remains" and "Blackbird".

The best rock band of modern times? With these three albums, it would be hard to argue that!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 10 Feb. 2015
As described

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Ab 3.5 (Audio CD)
Great album!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5.5 Stars!, 3 Nov. 2011
M. Dench (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ab 3.5 (Audio CD)
This is a must have for any Alter Bridge fan, I love the dvd and extra tracks. What's more I cannot wait to see them again at the end of the month.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Album Made In 2010, 27 Jan. 2011
Ferlesha (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ab III (Audio CD)
Best Album of 2010. Myles Kennedy has the best rock vocals EVER! Ive been a fan of him since his Citizen Swing & The Mayfield Four days. Each Time I hear his voice i wanna cry. The only thing i dislike about the ALBUM is that the Americans get the bonus Tracks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 21 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Ab III (Audio CD)
Alter Bridge are yet to produce a record which is not great. It took me a while to get 'into' their music, taking many plays of One Day Remains before I really started liking them, but now for me they are one of the great bands of recent times.

There are very few weak songs on this album in my opinion. Ghost Of Days Gone By, Slip To The Void and Coeur D'Alene are the highlights for me. I do agree with other people here in that there is no Blackbird but overall I think the album is a high standard

4.0 out of 5 stars Good purchase, 7 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Ab III (Audio CD)
Alter Bridge are one of the best hard-rock bands today. Although I really loved their previous album "blackbird", this one is also a very good work and the voice and guitar work remain one of the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alter Bridge make another great album, 25 Nov. 2010
M. D. Chapman (Shropshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ab III (Audio CD)
ABIII is another great album from Alter Bridge and continues this bands wonderful journey through rock music. Myles Kennedy gets better and better and Mark Tremonti is just a guitar legend in his own lifetime. This is a must buy for real rock fans and I advise anyone to go and see these guys live they are brilliant!!

5.0 out of 5 stars You must get this, 15 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Ab III (Audio CD)
I have the other two AlterBridge albums but this one is the best, I haven't stopped listening to it (even my wife likes it).

If you're an AlterBridge fan, you must get this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars jdallen, 13 Nov. 2010
Amazon Customer "John A" (paddock wood, KENT. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AB III (MP3 Download)
It must be really hard to keep making great albums (at least to me) but Alter Bridge have produced a 3rd and it's a cracker ... seemingly combining my favourite elements from the previous 2. If you are new to whole Alter Bridge experience try them in order ... better still see them live ... you shouldn't be disappointed!

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 10 | Next ›

Ab 3.5
Ab 3.5 by Alter Bridge (Audio CD - 2011)