on 10 January 2014
Okay so firstly I have to say what a big fan I usually am of all of the Eva Solo products I own. The designs are always sharp, sleek and never fail to add a contemporary edge to my kitchen& home, however on this occasion, I'm afraid to say I've been left more than a little on the disappointed side.
We've never owned a non electrical kettle before but when we had our new induction hob installed, we decided to get a nice new trendy kettle. I considered many induction compatible models before finally deciding on this one, mainly because of the fuss free, and simple contemporary design. The price was very high for a kettle but Eva Solo products do tend to be highly priced.
When it arrived we were incredibly impressed with the look & feel of the kettle. It is quite heavy, especially when full, but then my husband likes that as he seems to think it is a sign of quality! lol
It's easy to fill as you flip the plastic lid with your thumb and fill under the tap. Boiling time is average although I would say quite a lot longer than an electric kettle.
So, so far so good however it soon became apparent that there were certain flaws to this kettle mainly relating to the lid. When the kettle reaches boiling point the steam bellows out which is ok until you come to take it off the hob. Pouring is an absolute nightmare as it seems nigh on impossible to pour without spilling boiling water everywhere onto the side. I've also scalded my hands on a number of occasions although this is slightly my fault as I find by lifting the lid a little, using the thumb lever, helps the water pour a little easier. Definitely not advised though!
Another slightly annoying thing is the fact you don't know when it has boiled if you leave the room. Of course I knew the kettle had no whistle when purchased but in hindsight, a whistle is a good idea to save you walking back into a steam filled room if you happened to get distracted.
We've had the kettle for a little over 9 months and have finally replaced it with an Alessi bird whistle hob kettle and I have to say we are far more impressed with this kettle overall on performance and functionality. In fact it trounces the ES kettle all round in my humble opinion!
I'm sure we will still continue to enjoy many Eva Solo products in the future but as for this particular product, I'm afraid another Ebay listing will soon be underway ;)
on 25 March 2013
I recently got an induction cooker which meant when my kettle broke I considered getting a stove top one instead. I think because induction hobs are fairly new there isn't a great range of kettles as yet, although there is ones that are intended for aga's and such like. The Eva solo kettle is a lovely design and looks good on the hob. It's lid is a plastic type material in black and is loose fitting, which means when tipping the last of the boiling water out the steam can feel pretty hot on your hand. The down side of this kettle is that it is not a good pourer and try as I might I rarely get all the water into the cup or teapot without a puddle on my work top too. This is such a pity as otherwise it is fabulous - its base is a good size and it boils the water very rapidly - quicker than my rapid boil kettle. So despite the pouring issue I love the look and it's speed - and I don't miss a kettle lying on my work top!
on 22 December 2015
Unlike some others I have never had the handle heat up - I suspect its to do with certain induction hobs and the 'height of the field' they produce, maybe try it on a small size induction pad. Also, initially the lid seemed to warp when hot but under closer inspection it turned out it was the metal retaining 'hinge' that was at fault - I simply lifted the lid and forced it back a little (adding a little more bend to the metal) which completely solved that issue - a 10 second fix.

Personally I love the look it (that's why we buy designer brands of course) and although it's not perfect we are happy - it's one of the [surprisingly] few kettles that looks great in a contemporary kitchen, maintaining the minimal look.

Oh, and it seems to boil really quick on our hob - which is a bonus as you have to wait for it (like all on-hob kettles).