5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked for just over a year...Cap bows out
Published 9 months ago by A Cactus

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, 11 Aug 2012
John Wade (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TP-Link TL-PA251KIT AV200+ Multi-Streaming Powerline Starter Kit with AC Pass Through (UK Plug Only) (Accessory)
While I have a Wi-Fi network set up at times the performance can drop especially when a lot of devices are being used. Bought these to connect my desk top PC. There is lots of information on Powerline devices available , but in outline they use your existing electrical wiring to transfer data. These units are better than other Powerline devises as they don't block a power socket.

Set up is really simple, plugged the one into the nearest wall socket to the router and connected with the cable supplied. The other one plugged in near the PC and connected to the Ethernet port. While they seemed to create a connection straight away I wanted to pair them properly. Simply press the button on the bottom of one for about five seconds and then press the button on the second one and the network is established. Since set up they have worked perfectly.

A couple of points ; the units supplied are with UK style plugs and sockets (the picture on Amazon is the European model). These should be plugged directly into the wall socket and any extension/multiway connector plugged into the pass-through socket.

The cables supplied are only about a metre long so may be worth getting extra ones if your sockets are a distance from the equipment. TP-Link recommend CAT 5 or better. The connection is at the base of the plug so you need some clearance below the socket.

A small CD is supplied that contains the documentation and a utility. I downloaded this from the TP-Link website and is useful to check speed etc and can be used to add another unit if necessary. However seems that to add a third unit you simply need to press the button on the bottom on one of the existing units and then press it on the new third unit and it will join the network.

At the time of writing TP-Link (see their website) are doing a special offer where if you send in a copy of your receipt and the barcode from the box you get a free unit.

Overall a really easy to set up and highly effective way of having a wired network but without needing any technical knowledge or having additional wiring installed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly simple, 9 Sep 2013
Iain Tricker (Glasgow, Lanarkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I wanted to connect a Sky+HD to On Demand service but the wireless connector was pretty hopeless and kept losing the signal. The Router was in another room and I didn't fancy running a cable so I turned to the TP-Link powerline starter kit.

Simplicity itself - pair the units using the button then attach one to the Broadband Router and the other to the Sky box. On Demand up and running at full speed with no dropouts.

Happy days!

4.0 out of 5 stars 100Mbs per unit connection max, but solid 100Mbs, 23 July 2013
Clever Spud (Birmingham) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
So the 500Mbs is the network bandwidth for the entire over-the-electrical-wires network that the TP-Link adapters create but realistically you're going to max out on a per connection basis at 100Mbs - which is hardly surprising as the adapters use 100Mbs ports (confirmed on the TP-Link website)and come with old spec Ethernet cables. This is pretty disingenuous and I'm knocking a star off straight away for that.

I don't know if the network will "bleed" into the wider electric grid, allowing eg a neighbour to access the network, though obviously at degraded speeds, but I figured it was safest to set up a new private network. Pairing the two adapters was a breeze, once I figured out that pressing the pair button for "1 second" meant just pressing it briefly whereas actually pressing it for around a second didn't start the process at all.

My internal wifi is pretty decent but streaming some large video files from my NAS hasn't been possible over wifi, with a lot of stuttering and buffering. First impressions with the AV500s were disappointing, with the same stuttering, though not quite as bad - then I realised my PC was downloading and installing Windows updates in the background. After that things went MUCH smoother and I can say I'm pretty happy with them. Obviously I'd much prefer a 1Gbs home network but I guess there's still no way around that except to lay the wires myself and that would mean effort...

Regarding the form factor. The two plugs are relatively bulky and won't sit side by side on the same extension powerstrip. Why you would ever want them to do so beyond initial set-up is beyond me. It's optimal to place the adapters directly into a socket, with no intervening extension cables and so there should be plenty of room for them. So you can unplug an extension strip, plug the adapter into the wall and then plug extension lead into the back of the adapter. Couldn't be easier.

Overall a nice bit of kit that could do without the deceptive speed claim.

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked for just over a year...Cap bows out, 1 Dec 2013
A Cactus "Andy Cactus" (NW UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I would have given this kit of two passthrough Powerline adapters a high rating as they just worked as advertised. Plug and play. Worked for exactly 14 months from first use. Never had to do a thing to make them work or keep them working. Then overnight one of them is just dead to the world. Pass through mains works but LEDs showing no power, no activity. Nothing. Expired. Like the guarantee I guess but cannot find my documents now. Its a brick. Tried other sockets, reset, zilch. The other unit looks OK. With an hour to closing had to do a high street dash to buy a same brand replacement for a single unit (which now look slightly different) but at least it paired with the remaining unit and crucial homework can continue.

This is the first networking item I have ever purchased with such a short life. Usually I replace tech because of obsolescence after 5 years. Well I just bought one more TP-link Powerline adapter to be sure of as fuss-free, get back online, asap. Time was short. Will try a different brand next time..

[update] After a search I see these types of devices failing for a simple well known reason. The electrolytic smoothing capacitors blow out with time. This is unforgivable as the industry went through this plague already many times. Using the cheapest electrolytic components is unforgivable for something plugged in 24/7/365. Just opened mine up and yep, a black 6.3V 1500μF has a bowed out top. Others look fine. for history of this, search 'capacitor plague'
UPDATE: fixed with one of these Capacitor Electrolytic 6.3v 1500uf Price for 5. Sprang back to life.TP-link corner screws will destroy their hidden fixing holes be careful. 5th screw in middle hidden under label so pierce through to access.

5.0 out of 5 stars TP-link Powerline Adaptor easy to set up, 14 Aug 2013
Plugged in the powerline adaptors and they set themselves up automatically , now I have my new YouView box up and running with very little fuss.

5.0 out of 5 stars great network device, 9 Jun 2012
This product worked first time. Plug in at both locations, press the button on the underside of each unit, bingo. Thats it. Could not be simpler. You do not even lose the plug socket as each unit has a pass through connection. Highly recommended. I even got an improvement in my broadband speed at the remote location. Win, win, win.

5.0 out of 5 stars plug and go dont push any buttons, 17 April 2014
I have three pairs of different types of powerline plugs - some that are like bricks with no label except powerline. then two TPLINK sets these and the same ones without the plug through socket. They are all 200mbps rated. They don't work together if they are different speed - in my experience

I read somewhere about linking them and put the all together on a four way adapter and pushed the buttons. They all flashed correctly and did not all work on the network.

Then I read don't press and hold the button on them - I did - just because they were not working and I thought it would reset them. It did not- it took them totally offline and unusable. I had to borrow a laptop from someone who still uses Windows ( we are android/ubuntu and one apple user (boo)). I reset them all using the software easily enough one at a time. The software is quite usable for this.

Then without linking them at all they all worked perfectly and have done ever since for the last couple of months.

Apparently the reason for linking them is to create a secure network. I have unlimited fibre broadband. I have no outside plug sockets and my house was rewired I am not worried about neighbours getting use of my internet if that is even possible so I would advise if you are in the same boat Plug them in don't push any buttons and forget they are there - they work seamlessly.

Mine are heavily used for streaming audio to a music player from a server, desktopx2, laptop, router, home cloud media server etc. never a problem

3.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed but do not perform perfectly., 22 April 2014
I bought these because previously I was running a 30m ethernet cable through my house. While these perform as described, giving you internet through your houses wiring they tend to drop the signal citing issues connecting to the DNS when troubleshot using Windows 7.
My computer is set up to use a local static IP with all the details correct yet from time to time these plugs cannot connect to my router. Would have expected a more reliable experience. This issue is normally resolved by disabling and re-enabling my adapter, yet I should not have to do this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Can be harder than you think to set up, 6 Feb 2013
Having read the reviews and star rating it was a "no brainier" not to buy these for our new Internet tv. Not as easy to set up as people have stated in previous reviews tho' Did everything the instructions told us to and they just wouldn't "pair". Nearly ended up sending them back as thought they were faulty, then decided to try thru the computer which worked. HELPLINE is utterly USELESS unless you have an ear for Cantonese. They now work perfectly but a lot of stress beforehand.

4.0 out of 5 stars So easy to set up but dodgy software..., 20 Sep 2012
I plugged these in, hooked one unit into my router, the other in to my daughter's blu ray player with some Ethernet leads.

I pressed the button on the bottom of both units for "between 3 and 8 seconds", dashing up the stairs to do this within 120 seconds.

I set windows media player 11 up as a DLNA server, restarted my pc, went up back stairs and my little girls DLNA blu ray player played Winx quite happily from my pc through the powerline.

Really easy to get this set up, the only issues I had was with the software that comes on the tiny cd supplied in the box. The utility program refuses to load on one pc and instantly crashes on my laptop. But I don't care as the powerline network is working, the kit is cheap and it is doing the job I want the kit to do..

As the cd is one of those tiny ones, some computer cd drives will not accept them, but all the drivers/ manuals are on the TP Link website and I found them with no trouble.

The instructions say don't use them with extension leads, but my daughter's room is childproof. The power to her tv is by an extension lead with a million cable clips holding it in place and I am not disturbing that. I used the extension lead in place, and my network seems to work just fine.

I did plug a powerline wifi extender into another extension lead and that has surge protection. It didn't work and I found out that one of my old extension leads has built in surge protection when I looked to see the problem!

The units are rated at 10 amps for the pass through socket.

The only way to reset one of these is through the software, and that is a problem as the software is rubbish so I knocked off a star for that. I am not going to complain about the rubbish English in the manuals as it is so bad it makes me laugh!