5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, fun and thought provoking
Published on 19 Nov 2011 by rosie1157

3.0 out of 5 stars What it's like to be a Capricorn
As a Sun Capricorn I can say this is easily the best description I have read of what it's like to be a Capricornian.
Anybody who wants to understand what makes us tick should read this. They won't be disappointed.
Published on 22 Nov 2011 by Janept

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, fun and thought provoking, 19 Nov 2011
A brilliant inside look at one of the earth signs. Mary explains in great detail the traits of a Capricorn, and this goes a long way towards figuring what makes them tick. Being a Capricorn myself, it was like embarking on a journey to explore the inner self. Easy to read, even for a novice like me. A must for all Capricorns and their partners, family, anyone who really wants to know what a Capricorn is all about

4.0 out of 5 stars This would make a good Christmas or birthday present!, 10 Nov 2011
What a good idea for a series of books, one for each sign of the zodiac! However, perhaps a description of the author herself and her qualifications and experience as an astrologer might have 'hooked' the reader in more quickly rather than the slightly tedious introduction to all her family members who were Capricorns. However, skipping over the introduction, the chapters themselves were interesting and informative.

I would have liked to have had more description of the positive qualities associated with Capricorn along with the negatives. As well as the usual 'serious, businesslike, shrewd' epithets used to describe this earth sign some of the positives are: 'stable, reliable, grounded, not-extreme (i.e. not manically happy and not extremely depressed) adventurous, with a dry sense of humour, loving, kind, loyal and faithful'.

In much the same way as every cloud has a silver-lining, it would have been useful to see the more negative traits tempered with the more positive traits that are the opposite side of the coin, e.g. 'boring-reliable, selfish-self-sufficient', pessimistic-careful' etc. This would perhaps have given a more rounded picture of the Capricorn personality. I am married to a Capricorn and one of my grandchildren is also Capricorn so, like the author, I have personal experience of keeping the Capricorn tendency to melancholy at bay!

However, all in all, this book is well-written, informative and entertaining and easily accessible to all those interested in finding out a bit more about what makes the Capricorn tick!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant insight into how a Capricorn sees life, 4 Dec 2011
I live with a Capricorn and this little gem has helped me to understand why I do find it quite a heavy experience sometimes. A happy Capricorn is a delight but when gloom and doom strikes I disappear! I found the differentiation of various moon and ascendant placements really interesting and the advice on cheering up that particular type of Capricorn has worked well, so thank you Mary for going that much deeper into their mindset and helping me to improve our relationship. The Capricorn in question heartily endorsed the book but was a bit put out that the jolly fun side of a Capricorn was not given much coverage and did resolve to be more upbeat more of the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding Capricorns, 21 Nov 2011
Mrs. M. Clarke "Mary Moose" (Northants, UK) - See all my reviews
From the beginning of this delightfully insightful book, Mary English's non-nonsense digging and delving into the nature of Capricorn personalities draws us into their diligent and perhaps doleful world. The author accomplishes this with gentle humanity, humour and experience, and we are drawn into a Capricorn's world to better understand their hidden depths. The book is deceptively simple, readable, and informative. You can dip into it at any level, and skim over bits you don't feel it necessary to know in detail. You can even learn how to construct a chart, and Mary shares her considerable experience in an inclusive way. The book is peppered with quotes from Capricorns themselves (some well known), their families, friends, and literature.

Reading this book has already given me helpful insight into a relative who is a Capricorn - I shall be dipping into it regularly from now on! I particularly enjoyed the last two chapters 'Solutions' and 'Cheering up Tactics' which are full of tips and treasures to help lighten the heart of a Capricorn.

I enjoyed the look and feel of the book as well - not too much dense text on the page, and in an easy to read font. It's a perfect present for a Capricorn or those who think they know them.

Here's looking forward to the next in the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, easy and useful!, 26 Oct 2011
A great inside look to one of the "down to earth" signs, that rarely show any emotions, which makes them difficult to figure out. Easy to read and full of interesting real life examples (including famous people) makes this book a both fun and useful experience even for those who might not yet now much about astrology. Just like other books by Mary English, it is informative but not tedious, with a hint of personal experience and without a doubt practical. I should know... I find it hard to get along with the "earthy" types of the zodiac, which a Capricorn also is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mary's Subtle Ways With Words, 18 July 2013
Celebrity astrologers are some of our dearest National Treasures - one thinks of Russell Grant, Mystic Meg, Claire Petulengro - and Mary, like these other luminaries, is a larger than life character. Mary also has a superb prose-style, but is not afraid to present her subject in a light and accessible manner. Mary's knowledge of her subject is really second to none, based on years of careful and diligent research, and her holistic approach to astrology is a delight to participate in. What is so impressive about Mary's work is that her writing is natural and flowing, without any of the forced artifice of so many mainstream authors, and her book is almost like having a cosy chat with a dear old friend. Put it on your Xmas List for all those sensitive and artistic Capricorns in your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Core of Creepy, Crusty Capricorn ^^, 30 Mar 2012
I just love strolling into bookshops and browsing, don't you? That's how I met this lovely book!

Mary English tells you everything you need to know to be able to understand and adapt to Capricorns, to appreciate them in a way that they should be. I'll tell you that the book helps me understand my beloved Cap BF, my taciturn yet generous Cap cousin, the mad Cap husband of my high school bestie, and a dear Cap close friend better.

Read it for yourself! You'll laugh and grin and nod and find things that you need to make your life with any Capri more understandable. I swear to you it's worth it!

3.0 out of 5 stars What it's like to be a Capricorn, 22 Nov 2011
I found the sections relating to other aspects of the astrological chart too brief and uninformative to be helpful. More information is needed to make it useful.
Otherwise an interesting read and it would make a good gift for anybody who has an important Capricorn in their life.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairly Interesting and consistent but lacked depth and variety, 4 Dec 2012
A fairly interesting read, mainly structured on many indivdual contributions on Capricorn people in their lives or as a Capricorn themselves. Themes are repetitive and the book could have said all that it had to in fewer pages.

Needed to have more depth and variety to fully engage the reader.