on 26 October 2011
We recently updated our kitchen from an old 1950s look to bring it right up to the 21st century. As soon as we finished we knew we needed a microwave, the old silver sanyo had served us well but it looked old, and took up too much space.

I'm not aware of another model that is designed like this, with a curved back, and the controls underneath, but I can say it works. It's the only one we could find that would sit in the corner at a 45 degree angle from the wall, so we were hoping it looked it good. I wasn't disappointed, it looks great and feels well made with glossy paint over a metal body. The slick black front also looks good, we've even had people commenting on how good it looks.

In terms of performance it is also very good, the only reason it loses a star is I'm not too fond of the controls. They are touch controls, but you seem to have to plant your thumb on them to get it to work. Once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad, just a little frustrating at first. So it loses a star for that, although the instructions are good enough and you should be using it right out of the box.

One thing that is very useful is the steamer bowl that comes with it. Used it first time I used the microwave and worked just as I hoped. When you steam things there is a pretty good process, you enter what it is you are steaming, then the weight of the food, and the microwave works out the time you need, simples.

All in all, very pleased.
11 comment| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 August 2014
This is the 3rd Microwave we have had from Whirlpool, not because it's a great product, but because the first two blew up, and after a lot of correspondence with customer services, they agreed to replace. After the second microwave blew up, I didn't want another Whirlpool product, but I was convinced by Whirlpool that the issue has been resolved and as I was in need of a corner unit, this one seemed ideal, and it was after all "free".
We've had this microwave for just over 6 months now, and though it's very small it served it's purpose and we'd not had any issue with it, until last week. it started with small "sparkles" around the microwave sender plate, same effect as if you put something metallic in a microwave (not advised!!). I was using it again last night to heat my baby daughters milk, I went into the lounge then heard a loud buzzing so went back into the kitchen to find flames coming out of the same cover on the inside of the microwave. I went to switch the oven off, but when I pressed "STOP" the oven went off for about a second, and to my horror it switched itself back on again and the flames started again. I had to remove the plug from the socket this time. Whirlpool microwaves are a serious fire risk and should be removed from sale until this issue is resolved. If there was issue with one unit, I would have put it down to bad luck, but after 3 different models with the same hazardous fault I wouldn't ever have another in my house. I am about to upload the video of the fault to youtube, This product is an extreme fire hazard, I was fortunate to hear the buzzing noise and went to investigate immediately, Had I not, I dread to think about the consequences.
1111 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 January 2013
absolutely perfect has the same capacity of other microwaves, but takes up a fraction of the space as it fits in to the corner, vary impressed with the steamer facility my veg has never tasted so good
on 3 February 2015
Bought this microwave from Currys 3 years ago and its been nothing but trouble. As many other reviewers it keeps switching itself on/off and the timer will increase the cooking time up to 30 mins ! So you can't walk away, you have to stand over it or do what I do and that's set the timer on the cooker or another device, clock, timer, mobile ! Again like other reviewers the touch controls are temperamental, very hard to depress! You have to keep pressing multiple times before it recognises your touch. Last straw was when it caught fire on the inside, I have no warranty and being 3 years old didn't think I stood a chance with customer services but called whirlpool and without quibble they sent out an engineer free of charge, he couldn't fix it so wrote it off and gave me a new one free of charge ! Amazing customer !! service. I just hope I have no problems with the new one ......
on 9 July 2012
Lovely item. I had a more powerful model before but decided to try this expecting slower cooking times
Not noticed this. Only complaint is that cable is very short so you need to have space very close to
A socket.
on 25 August 2011
Just as it describes. Functional. Space saving and good steamer too. For my Father who needed a compact microwave oven
on 1 January 2015
Purchased one just over two years ago. Sparked and could have set on fire just after the year. Only used for heating up milk and chocolate for sweets, etc so not really used much as we don't microwave meals. We were offered £75 towards another one so purchased a second one. Same thing has happened sparks flying and worried will set on fire. Cannot leave unattended as before sparks started the microwave would sometimes increase the minutes up to 30 mins all on its own - so not at all safe. Cannot recommend. Great size and concept but not safe to use... this product should be withdrawn until problems sorted.
on 11 August 2012
Have just received my new Max 35 and it looks lovely. Only problem is that after seeing in the instruction manual that the oven needs 30cm clearance above, I am unable to use it as most people would, on a worktop beneath kitchen cupboards as I only have an inch of clearance. I feel I have been grossly misled as the oven is sold as space saving, but despite careful measurement it doesn't fit. I have read many reviews and all the product information and this is not mentioned anywhere.
I guess I am going to have to send it back. I am very annoyed because all this trouble could have been avoided by including this small, but very important detail. I will be even more annoyed if I have to pay to send it back!
1414 comments| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 January 2016
This is my Whirlpool Max 38 microwave that caught fire after 20 seconds of use. Luckily I was stood next to it and reacted promptly to put it out otherwise who knows what could have happened. Whirlpool are coming to look at it next week.

Update: the engineer looked at it and filed a report. A couple of weeks later someone called to offer me a new microwave which I refused- they eventually agreed to send me a refund. (They were not apologetic in the slightest).

The refund has yet to materialise.
review image
on 10 November 2011

I'm not aware of another model that is designed like this, with a curved back, and the controls underneath, but I can say it works. It's the only one we could find that would sit in the corner at a 45 degree angle from the wall, so we were hoping it looked it good. I wasn't disappointed, it looks great. It also feels well made with glossy paint over a metal body. The slick black front also looks good, we've even had people commenting on how good it looks.

All in all, very pleased.