5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than expected
Published on 9 Oct 2012 by PeeJay

3.0 out of 5 stars Built to a price, but does the job
So long as you accept this is very much a budget tripod and you have a lightweight camera, this tripod will do it's intended job without fuss.

Published on 25 April 2012 by M. D. Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than expected, 9 Oct 2012
PeeJay (Devon England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AmazonBasics Lightweight Tripod with Bag 60 Inches / 152.4 cm (Electronics)
I got this Tripod from Amazon back in August and was immediately impressed with it. Having checked out a few Tripods in a couple of local camera shops prior to ordering this one, I was not expecting too much. This one compares very well with those of similar quality I had previously viewed. Yes, the legs are aluminium and yes, the locks on the legs and all the components at the top of the tripod are plastic but it feels good, substantial plastic. With regard to its stability when used outdoors, well, I would say that on level ground and in a non windy situation it would be fine. Let's be fair, to leave expensive equipment on a tripod unattended and especially outdoors would be rather foolish. Even with a weight hanging on the hook provided, it would not be a wise thing to do. I recently purchased from Amazon a Nikon D5100 SLR camera with the 18-55m kit lens. At the same time I bought the 55-300m lens for zoom use. With the big lens at full stretch, attached to the camera, I have mounted it on the tripod and it is very stable especially if you ensure the lens is directly above one of the legs. The features on the tripod are very good. Camera attaching plate, panning arm, levelling bubbles, cranking facility and locking points are all there and they work well. With careful use, I have no doubt that this piece of equipment will serve me well for a long time. For the keen amateur like myself, this is a good tripod to begin with at a very good price and I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 24 April 2012
D. Maddox (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I can only compare this to my original camera tripod that I've had for years, plus what I have seen in my local photographic shop.

First impressions are that you wouldn't know it was part of the Amazon Basics range. The packaging when it arrived was as good as you expect from Amazon, and upon opening it the tripod comes in its own shoulder carrying bag. It is very light and I wouldn't hesitate to take it travelling with me.

It did not come with any instructions, but then do you really need instructions to operate a tripod?

The tripod is very simple to operate and has some nice touches like a handle attached to the central column, which makes moving the tripod when set up very easy. It has two spirit levels and feet that self-level to the ground they are placed upon. Everything else is as you would expect, you are able to adjust the angle/height of the camera into any position you want, plus it has a very easy quick release function that just clips back into place one handed.

One very useful detail is the hook that is built into the bottom of the central column that allows you to hang bags or equipment from it that you don't want to place on the ground.

All in all a very good, competent tripod that is very easy to live and travel with. Would I recommend it? A very simple yes!

3.0 out of 5 stars Built to a price, but does the job, 25 April 2012
M. D. Harris (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Construction is predominately plastic, with quite thin aluminium tube legs. This makes it light but at the same time a bit too flexible for my liking. With the legs at full extension it's not particularly rigid and it's very easy to twist the tripod while adjusting the head, but it's not a deal breaker for a low cost tripod. Everything works as expected but the plastic fixings don't feel like they would take much abuse and given it's lightweight construction I wouldn't recommend fixing anything larger than a small bridge camera to the head as it would become a bit too top heavy.

It really boils down to what you want this tripod to do, if it's just to hold your point and shoot camera while taking the occasional family group portrait, or a bit of a steadying hand while taking pictures for ebay this AmazonBasics Lightweight Tripod should be fine. On the other hand if you're after a something to securely hold your DSLR while taking macro shoots at awkward angles I would strongly recommend spending a bit more money and get a more heavy duty alternative from the likes of Velbon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tripod....., 29 April 2012
mandynolan "mandynolan" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have found this tripod to be well made and easy to use.

It is lightweight and has a well made carry bag which goes over your shoulder.

It has a bubble level and a good integrated carry handle and easily moves from a lower level to a higher one.

It fitted my camera well and was steady to set down onto the floor.

I would recommend it....

4.0 out of 5 stars Good build quality, good features and easy to use, 24 April 2012
TheShopaholic (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This looked heavier than it is. It is nice and light, not too large to throw over your shoulder and carry or to pack in a suitcase if you want to take it away with you. The adjustable legs adjusted very easily with the quick release clips and by the using the very useful 2 spirit level indicators provided it was easy to get it set up dead level to be able to take nice straight photos.

It also comes with a quick release attachment to attach the camera to it. Unlike my old one which you had to position the camera on top and screw into from a knob underneath. This attachment made it easy to quickly attach the camera to the base and slot the base into the tripod in less than 30 seconds.

It's stable despite its weight and folds up easily to move with or without the camera attached. It is a good height and has a screwturn winder to further adjust the height of the camera once attached and of course the usual tilt handle.

For the price, it offers everything. If you are starting out in photography or want an inexpensive tripod for occasional use, this one will do the job. It is from the Amazon Basics range so do not expect top of the range but it is certainly sturdy enough and offers all the features you need to do the job it is intended to do. In fact, I am so pleased with it I have now started thinking of upgrading my camera and doing a bit more photography using this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality for beginners, excellent price compared to other tripods., 15 May 2014
As the name and price might suggest, this is a basic, lightweight tripod, so this is not going to be suitable for some scenarios, or for those looking for a really sturdy tripod. The build quality of the product is half and half. The quality in general is not bad. It will feel cheap due to the thin aluminium and plastic construction, but it seems to be built well, and it seems as good as any other low-priced, lightweight tripod you will get. You may find some movement when using it, but this mainly depends on how you use it more than anything. Indoor shooting or long exposure shots shouldn't be too much of an issue with this tripod. The movement is a lot more noticeable when the tripod is at full length though.

I was quite impressed with the features on the tripod for the price. There is a hook in the middle for you to hang anything on, which should help with weighing the tripod down and making it slightly sturdier, but this is made of plastic, and honestly, it didn't look or feel that strong when I seen it. There is also two spirit levels and a quick-release mounting plate on the tripod.

For those starting out in photography, looking for a cheap and cheerful tripod for occasional use, this is an excellent choice considering the price, but for those who are looking to for a high-quality and sturdy tripod, avoid this and invest more money into a better quality tripod.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 May 2012
Paolo Sammut - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really good, well made tripod. It generally feels well made and strong and certainly I would trust my SRL camera to it. I know that people have commented on the flimsy feeling plastic of the handle, but really that is not an impression I get. It feels a bit loose because of the mechanism, so that when you turn it fast there is a tendency for the handle to fold back into its closed position. However to me it does feel perfectly strong and not likely to break.

This tripod also boasts a number of nice features making it more than your basic tripod. This includes a handy little hook so that you can hand your camera bag keeping it off the ground. There are also two spirit levels so that you know the camera is level. Finally a convienient handle at the back means that it is easy to move the whole camera/tripod for easy repositioning.

Highly Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprising good tripod, 21 July 2012
I received this as a freebie, from Amazon, as part of my Nikon D7000 purchase. This tripod arrived ahead of the camera.

That said, I unpacked the box, setup the tripod in the room (fully extended to max. height) and mounted another Nikon DSLR on top of it.

These are my conclusions.

The tripod is light - I schlep around the Lake District, and will have no problems taking this as part of my photographic kit.

Fully extended, with a Nikon DSLR mounted, I would at least have to use the Nikon Remote Control (after focusing and setting exposure) to fire the shutter. The whole rig, camera and tripod feel less than stable - as is (see my final note.)

The fittings for still work are perfectly fine - fine, final adjustments will not be problem to whatever plane. The bubble levels are fine, but with many modern cameras sporting composing grids and horizon indicators then not really so important a factor.

All in all, given that I got this for free with my Nikon D7000 I'm more than happy to stick this in it's bag, in the car boot to use up mountains, down dales, around lakes, by the rivers and on the beach.

This next and final note is important, so note well! Nobody seems to know it as it's not mentioned elsewhere.

The hook at the bottome of the centre column, is there fof one purpose/ function only. It's to hang an extra weight to give greater stability when needed (outdoors in windy conditions say.) The upshoot of that is you either hang your camera bag on it when needed or you carry around some plastic carrier bags. You add a stone, piece of wood, sand on the beach or whatever to the bag, then hang the plastic bag on the hook.

That way you achieve a less-fatiguing carry around all day tripod that gives the stable platform that say a plus 4KG tripod does. This works everytime - but of course there is no 'bling' factor that comes with schlepping around the big name brands all day.

I could give you a pic of this, with my Bellingham camera back with contents and mounted Nikon DSLR, but I don't know how to upload the said image. You'd see how solid / stable this camera platform is when setup for outdoor work. I'd have no problem using the camera shutter at really low speads and with long focul length lenses.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 1 Oct 2012
Simon Phipps "webmink" (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have several cheap tripods as a result of always forgetting them when I am travelling! This tripod compares well with the Kodak tripod I usually use; lightweight, yet with all the basic features needed for travel photography. I would have preferred the unit to fold a little smaller - it's the longest of my travel tripods when folded without being the largest or most stable. With my compact camera, it's excellent; with my Canon 60D it's somewhat lightweight. Overall I'd recommend this unit for the price for people with smaller camera/lens combinations, although I'd advise you not to expect too much from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic Tripod, 6 July 2012
Amazed at this tripod from Amazon's Basic range. Easy to use comes with its own carry bag. Perhaps not for the pro. But for another of as good a quality it will be hard to find.And what a good price.