4.0 out of 5 stars MVC in Javascript
Published on 16 Sept. 2012 by William Moore

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in places but a bit of a rough diamond
Great idea for a book and much of the content is first class. Make sure you've read JavaScript the Good Parts and/or JavaScript Patterns and have learned the basics of JQuery before even attempting to read this book though, otherwise your going to have trouble following along with some of the content.

Unfortunately it does have some falws. In particular I found...
Published on 14 Dec. 2011 by C. Jack

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in places but a bit of a rough diamond, 14 Dec. 2011
This review is from: JavaScript Web Applications (Kindle Edition)

Unfortunately it does have some falws. In particular I found some of the descriptions of code samples were lacking, additionally many of the code samples seemed un-necessarily terse/confusing. Normally I wouldn't massively care about this sort of thing in code samples, however when coupled with the use of some of JavaScripts odder features they make the code a bit painful to read. Thats not to say you can't understand whats going on, you just have to put in more effort than you might expect and you probably won't find it as enjoyable as you'd like.

These issues are the main reason I've given the book just three stars. I'm hoping the issues will be addressed in any future second edition, at which time this will definitely be a five star book.

One other thing, chapter 11 is on Spine.js. This chapter is now a little out-of-date, for example Spine now uses CoffeeScripts classes, so you may want to use the excellent online documentation for spine.js instead.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wait, what?, 4 Sept. 2012
Jon Loldrup (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
I have just spent an hour studying page 11 in this book. This involved scrutinising the code, drawing some diagrams and thinking about the meaning of life.
Overall the endeavour was productive, but every time my eyes land on the few lines of text that is present on that page, my brain curls. They are very hard to comprehend fully.

The author really needs to clarify this text.
This does not just mean that the author should sit down and have a look at it. Since he already wrote them and already deemed them fine, he will probably come to the same conclusion again.
Instead he needs to have a programmer sit down and read page 11, while speaking out loud, as he tries to comprehend whats going on and what the text says. In the meanwhile the author will sit silently and note which uncertainties and misunderstandings arise.
Then, he can rewrite the text together with the programmer.
Hint: the text needs to be more clear about what were trying to achieve.

4.0 out of 5 stars MVC in Javascript, 16 Sept. 2012
William Moore (Dundee) - See all my reviews
I read most of this book on my phone's kindle app, so I kinda skipped the code samples since they didn't layout very well on the small screen. However, I got the main themes that were covered as I went along. These were really just building up to the author introducing his own Javascript MVC framework (Spine) which features all the previously discussed concepts. If you really want to use all these ideas in your work, then the chances are that you're going to want to use Spine OR Backbone.js (a similar framework which has been around a bit longer and was the inspiration for Spine).

Before reading this book, I wasn't aware of the existence or function of these MVC Javascript frameworks. Now I've started experimenting with Backbone.js and it seems like these frameworks are the future of large Javascript apps.

So this book has been a great introduction to a new way of writing Javascript apps. However, this field is moving very fast, so various things get out of date: Spine has evolved to use CoffeeScript (not mentioned in this book atall) and the templating library mentioned earlier in the book has also been discontinued.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and easy reading, 11 Jun. 2014
I'm a junior web developer and I dive into this on my way to work at any given chapter and don't feel out of my depth. It's very well written and doesn't have the dryness of other O'Reilly books - and it's surprisingly comprehensive in such a modestly sized book. It doesn't go into too much details about any one thing, but provides a primer for a wide array of technologies.

Really enjoyable to read and not at all intimidating or dull :D

3.0 out of 5 stars not for me or for you if you're not a class emulation type of javascripter, 14 Oct. 2013
Mr. J. A. Smith "zz.james" (London) - See all my reviews
I like the idea behind this book, but I'm not a fan of class emulation in Javascript, not saying it's wrong, but I don't like the additional code, so if you're like me you might want to try a different book. (As James Gosling said when asked - If you could do Java over again, what would you change? "I'd leave out classes" [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful for transition from ActionScript 3, 20 Aug. 2013
I came form AS3 background and I couldn't make my head around the mess that pure JS is. This book was really helpful for someone like me who has experience with more structured language and want to learn the real life practices of adding a structure to JS code.

JavaScript Web Applications