THE INSTALLATION

Published on 21 Nov. 2011 by Victor Meldrew Mk2

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware - A history of poor support
Buyers should be aware that historically Parallels Desktop versions have become obsolete with upgrades to the Mac OS.

Published on 26 July 2012 by pompeygreg

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of both worlds: Mac and WIndows definitely combined: ideal for the Mac user who knows that WIndows is not all bad, 21 Nov. 2011
Victor Meldrew Mk2 "stefan morawiec" (Dorset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 7.0 (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
THE INSTALLATION

Staight out of the box, the CD installed extremely easily guided by the very clear prompt cards, accompanied by a concise and clear instruction manual which is available if needed, but in my case I had no need for it. Within a matter of minutes Parallels desktop is installed on my imac using the Lion operating system: might I suggest that you check for any updates to the Lion OS before installing: standard practice with MAC OS, but worth it just in case. The program asked me whether I wanted to update Parallels 7 too and I did, but it added 15 minutes over my slow broadband to update the system to the latest version. Absolutely no problems with this either and the upgrade installed very easily with the minimum of prompts. Sadly my imac was one of the last ones sold before they changed the configuration of memory and screen size, so I only have 2Gb of memory and with this in mind, parallels recommends that you don't install Windows 7, unless of course you want to upgrade your memory too.

I don't have a spare copy of an operating system and was left with the option of purchasing Windows 7 via Parallels own site (expensive), installing either one of the Linux options or the Google software, or, because I had planned ahead, I had purchased a copy of Windows XP pro from ebay for £28.50: a fully licensed OEM copy, which works a treat is a lot cheaper than Windows 7 and for some of us, the better operating system, more importantly, it runs fine with only 2Gb of memory on my imac. FYI I went to oemworldpc via ebay who provide an excellent service with clear instructions on how to install XP and what to do regarding drivers etc: great website, excellent support and a company I would definitely trust.

Installing Windows XP was easy and whilst time consuming, nothing less than what I was expecting. Overall the total installation took an hour following the easy setup for both: there were a number of other options to allow you to customize the Paralles installation, but I simply went for the standard "what they think is best" option. Very pleased with the options available in regards to being allowed to choose more than one operating system as for those anti-Microsoft amongst us, it does allow them yet another option and demonstrates how flexible this software actually is.

INSTALLING OTHER SOFTWARE

Onto installing Microsoft Office. Very simple, pop in the disc, it was recognised straight away by parallels desktop and it installed, same with upgrading Internet Explorer, which I upgraded from the internet and which works fine. I am installing Visio tomorrow, some specialist project management software, Kapersky internet security and Quicken: all of which I have sorely missed on my Mac and have been forced to use my Windows laptop more than is convenient. Everything works fine including some software which was designed for Windows 95 (obviously XP plays its part here), Quicken, Quick Books and MS Visio all installed and running fine.

IN OPERATION

In operation, Lion obviously has to start first so there is some slight delay in starting Windows, however that is more than outweighed by the fact that you can have Windows/Linux operating side by side and more importantly can copy and paste from one application into another, despite the fact that you are using entirely different operating systems. I am looking forward to seeing how well the software integrates with Mac based products and will update as soon as I have installed it and have some more time.

So far, so good and absolutely delighted. A must have if you are migrating from a WIndows based system to a Mac (which most people I know are doing now). Macs may be stylish, fast and great for graphics, but compared to simplicity of use, you only need to have worked with Office 2008 (I haven't purchased the latest incarnation) to know that the windows based version is much much better. To be able to use familiar WIndows based software in a Mc environment is simply great. I cannot recommend this product enough.

UPDATE

Working great although I have upgraded my memory to 8GB, but the newer imacs with 4GB will be just as good. Everything runs fine and I wished that I had installed this software beforehand rather than use my laptop and imac.

Everything still working fine with absolutely no problems at all regarding this outstanding piece of software.

3 MONTH UPDATE

Still going strong. Nothing seems to clash with this software, I have updated it when prompted: again no problems, I even installed a game recently (Rome Total War) worked fine as does Office 2010 which I purchased for my son. All in all, it remains the best piece of software that I have ever placed on my iMac.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Believe The Hype.... Actually This Time... YOU SHOULD!!!, 27 Oct. 2011
Gordon Keenan (Glasgow - Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 7.0 (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
As time has moved on, I have bought a range of iMac computers with the latest one being the I7 27" model with 16GB of RAM installed in it. This was done as more and more of my client's are buying Apple equipment, and like anyone serious about supporting their clients, they too have to use the equipment that they use, to know what issues may arise, so their client's can be helped out quickly and efficiently.

Through the years, I have never felt the need to look into virtualisation of an operating system, as quite frankly, my business is Windows-based PC's and Servers, and when I need a PC to do something, or to test out anything, I usually have plenty of spare gear to hand.

On the Windows side of things, as the new operating systems have come out, the hardware specifications have increased, so the standard bench kit I use to test and evaluate has had to be upgraded as well.

Microsoft releases Small Business Server 2011 and the likes, the specifications went up on the equipment you had to install it on, and quite frankly, kit wise, I did not have anything around that would make a suitable system to evaluate this operating system on, so that meant it was that time again to buy in some new equipment.

With what I had in mind, the equipment I was looking at, was nearly a thousand pounds for a system, and yes, I could buy cheaper components, but when I buy stuff I try to get something that will last! I was finding it hard to justify that sort of outlay for a system that really was only going to be used for the occasional testing rig, so I kept putting it off and the months rolled on...

One morning while going through my various Twitter feeds, I read a post from @JohnPAtkinson who was using Parallels 6, for running Windows on his Macbook Pro, and he raved about how good it was. As one of the main systems here used is a new I7 16GB iMac, this caught my attention and I went over to the company web site to read up more about this software.

From what I read, it seemed (in theory) that the software would allow me to install just about any operating system I wanted, onto my iMac... but my initial thought was the experience would have to be terrible, as everything would be virtual, rather than dedicated hardware, the path I have always taken... so to say I was sceptical was a bit of an understatement.

So, I downloaded Parallels 7 Desktop, (talk about luck - new release just out) ran the installer, and then proceeded to install Windows 7 Professional to see how things went.

To say I was stunned after the installation is an understatement! The operating system installed perfectly, and ran quickly; so much so that I then installed 3D Studio Max 2010 to see about pushing the whole system's processors and memory as it rendered some footage... and it was blisteringly quick, even while working away on my Mac applications!

After hammering the operating stem and applications further, I installed Office 2010 and then brought the virtual Windows 7 Professional onto the Small Business Server 2008 domain here in the office, and everything ran (and is still running) flawlessly! No matter what I seem to throw at the virtual operating system, it handles it as though it was on it's own PC hardware, and the Mac side just continues to work away as though the other operating system was not there!

So, not only have I save myself nearly £1000.00 in hardware, I am now running the I7 iMac in a way that I never intended it to, and the outlay I had on the I7 iMac actually seems more justified now that I am running such a variety of operating systems at the same time!!

If you are a sceptic (like me) about any application that seems to been hyped up by the tech people online, gushing praise just to get themselves attention, do yourself a favour and download the trial, and install it for yourself. Honestly, you will be impressed at just how well this virtualised system works on your iMac (specifications permitting of course).

Also, the guys at Parallels are easy to reach and interact with via their website, or even better, on Twitter @ParallelsMac. Don't be shy and say hello to them!

As it stands, my main PC system is no longer switched on in the morning and all my PC related work is down on the iMac here running under Parallels Desktop 7. That to me says it all. My trust in the whole "experience" really is one I am more than happy to shout about to my client's, and who knows, maybe in time they will upgrade to Mac equipment rather than Windows PC's... Only time will tell!

5.0 out of 5 stars What an incredible tool !, 17 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 7.0 (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
This product is incredible, the whole installation process completed in about 15mins,
don't forget, you do need a genuine Windows disk.

Whilst working in windows, Parallels feels so smooth and natural. You can switch (or even task switch) whilst running Windows or Mac os.

I haven't yet found anything it doesn't like, even genuine Microsoft products or third party windows games.

Definitely a 5 star product and a great price from Amazon.

PS if you have an iPad get the Parallels app, (£2.99) it allows you to use the iPad as a Windows terminal.

Great Stuff.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware - A history of poor support, 26 July 2012
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 7.0 (Mac) (DVD-ROM)

Version 5 became obsolete with Lion OS, so less than a year ago I upgraded to Parallels Desktop Six at a cost of almost £40. Now with the introduction of Mountain Lion OS, Parallels Desktop 6 is obsolete. Obsolete software in less than a year.

Parallels claim that the upgrade offered is good value for money, but to put in comparison the Mac OS upgrade cost £13.99 and I use it for hours every day. I can't justify the cost of upgrading Parallels Desktop for the few times I require Windows software every year.

Buyer beware!

4.0 out of 5 stars improving all the time, 31 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 7.0 (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
I have used parallels for four years There gave been glitches, but the support has been superb. Each upgrade has improved the programme significantly, and the latest version is excellent, running smoothly and with much improved speed and flexibility

4.0 out of 5 stars parallels desktop 7, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 7.0 (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
not wat i was expected but ok, registering product online prooves to be inposible, come on parallels give us better support.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to set up and works flawlessly, 7 April 2012
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 7.0 (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
Although I have always used Windows at work, I converted to an all-in-one Mac at home about 4 years ago and have been very impressed. Finding recently I needed to run Windows at home as well, the obvious solutions were either to buy a self-contained Windows box to run side-by-side with my Mac, run Windows as a dual-boot on the Mac, or to use VM software such as Parallels. As a writer of professional software my main consideration was stability (I can't afford for my present installation to be compromised), which clearly militated in favour of the separate box solution. But price considerations and the thought of losing even more of my fast-dwindling desk space led me to take what I considered to be the riskier route and look at VM software such as Parallels.

I'm happy to say I have had no problems whatsoever so far with Parallels. Installation took about 15 minutes (a lot less than it takes to install Windows 7 in the VM), and operation has been perfect. All of the minutiae I had worried about before installing (will it work with my Apple bluetooth keyboard and mouse?, will it auto-run DVD's properly in Windows?, will the keyboard map correctly? etc etc) were never an issue and today I run both OSs side-by-side without ever having to think about the wonders of being to switch between OSs without even noticing. Within Windows, you can see the MAC drive as a separate drive (Z: for me), and you can copy files from Windows to MAC seamlessly (I suspect the other way is not possible although I haven't really explored the possibility). Ditto cut & paste.

In terms of performance my box is Intel 2.4 GHz Core II Duo with 4GB of RAM of which Parallels uses the maximum 1.5 GB for Windows 7. I run reasonably resource heavy apps such as a C++ compiler on both Windows and MAC and the machine copes, although I get the feeling you wouldn't want to consider a spec much lower than this. I use Parallels in a separate OS window and so can't comment on the alternative where Windows apps appear as MAC apps. And as for Parallels versus other VM software, reviews for both Parallels and VMWare Fusion were good and my particular choice of Parallels is not a strong comment on either, rather more pot luck.

So all-in-all I would say if you are looking at VM software as a solution to running Mac OS X and Windows 7 together then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Parallels as a cost-effective and simple solution, if you can't afford or don't want to run separate boxes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Need windows on your Mac, this is the thing for you, 26 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 7.0 (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
I am no IT expert. I've always been a windows user but I was presented with a new Macbook for work purposes. There were however a couple of programs that I needed to use for which I didn't have a mac version. Having read the reviews on Parallels by customers with considerably more IT experience than me, I persuaded Work to buy the program together with a new copy of Windows 7. Parallels was a doodle to install and assisted with a guided procedure to install the windows OS. I now have the best of both worlds, MAC OS and Windows OS on the same laptop and easily accessible. I'm very happy with it and because it does exactly what it claims to do, I've no hesitation giving it the full 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty amazing, 16 Feb. 2012
S. Day (Ewell, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 7.0 (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A lot of work has gone into this product, and this shows in what is a straightforward installation and setup process. I transferred a Windows XP system from an old machine, and Parallels comes with software you can install on your old PC (from the CD) to facilitate the transfer of everything (system, applications, documents) onto your new 'virtual' system running inside the Mac. All you need is an ethernet cable.

I thought performance was superb on my iMac with 8GB RAM. However, I wasted many hours trying to get an old train simulator to work, to no avail, despite everything apparently being set up correctly.

The main advantages of using Parallels over Boot Camp are (1) instant switching between Mac and Windows environments, (2) no need to reformat your HD to create a Windows partition, and (3) it's probably easier to copy across a system from an old PC if, like me, your system didn't come with Windows discs. Boot Camp is, however, free (subject to having Windows discs), and may provide better performance/compatibility for games.

I think this is definitely a product that you'll love if it works for you. You may be able to download a trial version if you look around, to see whether it meets your needs. There are also some fairly useful forums discussing compatibility issues. But be warned, if you find something that doesn't work, it can be a black hole, sucking away your time to try to get it fixed. Also, as the Mac grows in popularity, the need to run Windows apps seems to be becoming more niche.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of both worlds, 31 Jan. 2012
Mr. Simon White "Simon" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 7.0 (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
Parallels enables you to run Windows Apps seamlessly alongside Mac apps. I find for business the Win versions more usable but can still benefit from the look, feel and design of the Mac interface and hardware. Parallels 7 - is the latest, fastest, best integrated version of an app that juts gets better.

Thiis is so much better that dual boot approaches.

Parallels Desktop 7.0 (Mac)
Parallels Desktop 7.0 (Mac) by Parallels (Mac OS X)
Used & New from: £50.00